Class specific travel mechanics in D4?

Initially i was talking about flying as a way to travel as the discussion was about sailing. It can be done even with a isometric view. Simular to riding a horse but u can move over obstacles meaning u can explore more areas. And fighting monsters at sea or encounter mobs while you ride your dragon or whatever.

We got flying creatures in d3. U could pretty much only improve UI so they feel like flying creatures. As a example they could move faster around on the battlefield or move in and out of battle. The targetting wouldnt need to change. I was thinking something more like this (around 40 min):

Asmongold’s first ever 8-Man Raid in Lost Ark - YouTube

Boss jumping in and out of the battlefield. No need to target anything differently. Again its about what they want to do. Im not saying they should do it. Im only saying im fine with it if it means that we get more content.

Not true. We have creatures with wings which give the appearance of flying, yet they are still attached to the ground just like every other enemy and breakable. Without tabbed targeting there would be no way to actually hit anything that was not so “attached” (flying) using the current skills.

I am aware that D4 plans to have some form of jump option for exploring which should be plenty. Adding flying would change the entire mechanics of movement and would make the game exponentially more difficult to navigate than what we have come to know and love about Diablo.

As far as Lost Ark goes, that was built on a completely different engine and such things were planned for before the game was even begun. D4 is still based on their tried and true engine which would need to have major design and function changes to accommodate the type of things you are suggesting, I frankly don’t see that happening nor would want it to as it would fundamentally change the way we play and enjoy the game.

Don’t get me wrong here. I absolutely love flying in MMO games, I was thrilled when it was added to WoW, and love it in many of the other MMOs that use it. The entire reason that Blizzard was able to add flying into WoW is because it already used directional movement controls and tabbed targeting. Flying has a good feel in games which use directional movement controls and works well in those type games. Diablo however is not one of them.

I prefer simple, direct, point-to-point teleport. Unless there is action while on ship or mid-air, it is just a “cool effect” for someone to show off. It adds no game play. Like cut scenes - they advance nothing useful.

The ones in act 3 is flying. U cant hit them until they land. When u run beneath them they land and start attacking u. Something simular could be done in d4. But with improvements meaning they actually can fly around and not just sit on ground when they landed. Like in the vid i shared. Flying mobs could be different in which they behave. Fly away when u chase them and then dives back in.

We know very little about d4 atm. All im saying im fine with such things as long as it means more content. I doubt there be sailing etc aswell but technically its possible for them to have it. My point is that even though im not a huge fan of those things im fine with it as long as it means more things to do and not just some things to make traveling annoying. Some games add minigames to such things.

I doubt it happen aswell. Im still fine with it if it means more things to do. Like islands in lost ark. U could travel to a island with cows and have some quests there. In those cases im fine with it.

Well flying can look different in many games.

This for example doesnt look anything like wow flying:

IKARUGA SUPERPLAY - Hard difficulty - All Chapters S++ - Scoring # 31557900 HD - YouTube

You keep linking in other games but the facts are, those games are not using the Diablo engine. The engine they are using is not built to handle true MMO style flight. Yes they can have a few mobs that are not targetable until they land such as the bats in caves and the winged beasts in the bridge area for example. But those are animation and behavior mechanics which don’t change the fundamental function of anything. Even your mention about Lost Ark was in reference to another behavioral combat mechanic. Lost Ark, just like Diablo uses non directional movement controls (left click drag movement) and it also has no actual MMO type flight, only combat specific sequences for flavor and effect. It is possible for them both to simulate flight like effects for show, but adding in actual player flight is not possible without entirely changing the base engine the games are built upon.

That Ikaruga game you linked is played entirely in 2d just like Diablo and Lost Ark. All the targets are on a single 2d plane which can be hit by skills travelling along that plane. Everything that looks like flight is all special graphical effects of the background.

D4 is gonna be a new game. Everything is possible. If other games can do it so can diablo. We not talking about implenting such thing in d3. I just showed vids that it can be implented in different ways and that it doesnt need to be like wow.

That is still considered flying in a game. Its no requirement that it be like wow for it be to be flying.

Plenty of games have flying in a 2D plane, where ground effects do not hit the flying enemies.
Hell, I am playing a card game currently, that is as 2D as you can possibly get. Flying is still a thing.

We can’t exactly aim above ground, toward the flying targets in an isometric game. But skills could still be made different from one another; some able to hit flying enemies (like a meteor, because it is already coming from above, or magic missiles, because, well, they are missiles), while others are unable to, because they are ground based, like an earthquake, or a frost nova).

Just like Resistances, single target, aoe etc, flying easily could be an interesting differentiator for skills in Diablo 4.
However, there would probably have to be some way to handle flying enemies even if you had no skills that could directly target them. Otherwise Flying would essentially work like Immunities. And no thanks to that.
Like, maybe a ground effect still deals 10-20% dmg to flying enemies (the shockwave from an earthquake, the temperature drop from the frost nova or whatever, still affecting some radius above the ground, for anyone caring about “realism”).