Class specific travel mechanics in D4?

One of the best things with D3 is how different classes feel really different. I love that! D4 is moving more towards the model of a modern successful MMORPG, so I’d like a bit more information about the hallmark of a successful MMORPG: sailing mechanics that will occupy a significant part of our time. In particular, it’d be great if each class could have different sailing skills and abilities. Like the wizard could throw fireballs at waves or whatever, and maybe a pirate as last class.

Let’s share ideas, what sailing mechanics are people hoping for?

Necromancers should use a corpse as a “body board,” or the arms of said corpse as an oar in a bone kayak.

2 Likes

Riding upon a reanimated water creature would make more sense…

1 Like

Not really. Elementals don’t have true physical forms to reanimate… but whatever floats your biscuit on the flotsam.

There likely won’t be any sailing mechanics considering the following:

• The 5 major regions that we’ll be able to explore in the game aren’t separated by large bodies of water and instead can be reached on foot (or horseback).
  • Based on what was said pertaining to traveling far distances, the fastest way for a player (assuming there’s no teleport to another player function) to travel is either on horseback or waypoint, assuming that there’s a waypoint close to your desired destination.

Now maybe sailing could become a thing in an expansion that’d require out player to go to an area(s) across the sea.

An undead whale or large shark would do just fine… They would also make far more sense according to the class abilities than constructing a bone canoe.

Really, I sure hope not. :-1:

2 Likes

Based on what the developers had said, it’ll have some mmo aspects, but overall they don’t want Diablo 4 to go too far into mmo territory.

1 Like

CAN WE JUST PLAY DIABLO GAME AND NOT SOME WEIRD GAME WITH SAILING?

diablo fans want diablo, is that too much to ask?

2 Likes

An adult themed game soon would be great yes.

Idk, have you looked at viewer numbers on twitch of D3 and modern successful MMORPGs(with sailing)? It think it’s pretty clear from those numbers what people want.

Pirates of the Burning Sea was not that popular. Not sure there are any other MMORGPs with sailing gameplay. :grimacing:

Sailing seems a bit silly when you have unlimited portals and waypoints anyway. Also, someone should probably corner that horse meat market in Sanctuary.

Well the folks who want sailing in Diablo would just have to settle for the other games, since Diablo 4 (at least the base version) isn’t likely to have it. Just horseback riding.

Tbf, we did have to set sail in Diablo 2 (that was how we got from Lut Gholein to Kurast). I just don’t see it happening for Diablo 4, since there’s no major area that requires us to travel across the sea in order to reach.

Same thing I already said except you provided a specific corpse. Try again with accuracy.

A shark’s skeletal structure is all cartilege so you can’t use them for bone-based abilities.

1 Like

No point, there likely won’t be much, if any sailing involved as has been mentioned already. My suggestion remains far more reasonable than a freaking kayak made of bones or corpse surfing, I mean seriously? Zombie Shark or boat made of bones that can’t even hold out water? How is that even a contest?

Bone has no factor in the suggested type of Necromancy, anything formerly living can be reanimated as has been seen in many ways and forms both in this game and other genres.

You’d think so. On the other hand, teh devs haven’t been very forthcoming with whale biology details in the sanctuary lore. :thinking:

1 Like

If D4 has cosmetic MTX in it, you can guarantee there’ll be whales.

you obviously have never played anything but zug zug barbarian.

Necros can revive

Let’s keep it that way. Diablo 4 should never be a full MMO. I do not want to see another toon in my game, let alone a screen full of them.