Cheaters on the Leaderboards

I sent a friend request. We should chat in game again.

Ignorance sounds great, but doesn’t do you credit my friend.
Do you see the search feature up top?
Type “cheat” in it and gather some info rather then rant.

Yes this game has had a cheating problem since launch, and yes the community has noticed.
We, the legit community, have been fed up of the lack of enforcement of the rules and would like a permanent solution instead if cherry picked bandaid bans that hardly stop the problem.

3 Likes

Yes this game have a problem about cheaters/botters, but claim

make me laught, sorry

1 Like

Weekly bans are mandatory

Maybe im to quick to hold a grudge, but if i were you and i got discredited for being a post farmer by OP who i had contributed to his threads and found an ally, only because i stray from narrow holy path of what is or what isnt derail in his eyes, i wouldnt like the OP much anymore.
But good for you then for taking the high road i guess.

I find it is better to take the high road and try to avoid responding in kind when insults are made against me. I find it is far more compelling to simply keep to the facts. If I say: “Your claim is factually inaccurate” and provide proof, that is much better that calling someone a liar.

I do have lots of posts on the forum. That is fact. My high post count is due to a multitude of factors including I read many posts on this forum and have fact checked many posts that contain inaccurate information.

For this thread:

There was a claim that posts and/or threads are deleted in an automated process that does not involve review by a Blizzard forum moderator/community manager. That is inaccurate. How do I know? First Blizzard has stated that. Of course, some might argue that Blizzard is just saying that to save face and that they really do not do that. However, if one knows how the forum software works, one can verify Blizzard is telling the truth.

Specifically, the next time you see a post that is flagged into hidden (this is an automated process based on the number of community flags) that is outrageous where you know it will be deleted, keep an eye on that post and the following link.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/g/trust_level_3?order=added_at

Using that provided link, you will see that when that post is deleted, there always will be a concurrent (i.e. seen) forum moderator or community manager who was in fact the one who reviewed the post and determined that its deletion was in order.

That link shows forum members who are Trust Level 3. This is the highest trust level that any forum member can earn that is not an MVP. I have been continuously Trust level 3 since August 26, 2019. That means I have never been suspended from this forum. If one has been forum suspended, they lose TL3. It used to be, one would never be able to regain TL3; however, one of the forum updates has made it so a previously banned forum member can regain TL3 if they have good behavior. When TL3 is regranted, it has the more recent added date.

Next, there was the claim that mass flagging of players with alt accounts can lead to a post/thread being deleted. First, there is proof that Blizzard reviews these types of posts before deciding on a potential forum sanction. Moreover, false flagging and using a bunch of alts to flag the same post violates the forum rules and can lead to forum sanctions. I think some forum members do not know that Blizzard keeps track of the IP address we login as well as our physical location. You can see this if you look at your own json file.

My json file will show you very little information since I have for privacy reasons have a hidden forum profile.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/u/MicroRNA-1507.json

If I look at my own json file in that link, it has lots of information. You can see for yourself by replacing my battletag with yours in the address. If you look at someone else’s forum profile that is not hidden, you will see a smidgen less information (No IP address and no physical location). The reason that I bring this up, is Blizzard knows if alts were used to mass flag an account thereby violating forum rules.

Tangentially connected to this is false accusations of alts. As I stated and everyone can see, I have made many posts on this forum. My writing style is distinctive. I am not Meteorblade who lives in Europe and plays on the EU server. I am not Bravata. I play on the America Region server, consistent with where I live.

In the old cheatting megathread that lasted for a long time before its 404, it was interesting to see who posted in that thread. A significant number of accounts were later banned by Blizzard for cheating. This was clear since one could cross-reference forum poster battletags with the leaderboards to see that the account was ultimately banned by Blizzard. With a little more digging, some of these account were self-identified alt accounts by the actual person with the multiple accounts.

Since Blizzard knows about alt accounts (IP address, physical location, etc…), I have argued in the context of this thread that repeat offender cheaters should have all their alt accounts banned.

3 Likes

I would hope that everyone (except the cheaters) would be behind that.

4 Likes

Even some of the cheaters want cheaters banned more aggressively. I have read that the primary reason that some bot is to keep up with other cheaters who have ranked highly on the leaderboard.

Honestly, that would do the trick.
It should be real time, but realistic expectations must be met since this game is so old.

I have only seen them defend each other and try to derail topics like this one out of fear.
Interesting perspective though that cheaters want cheaters banned so they can compete more easily.
How far gone has D3 become for this perspective to even be a thing lol.
If we had active enforcement, the leaderboards would be what they were designed to be, a list of elite players achievements.

1 Like

Ok this topic is getting more and more ridiculous, when i thought i saw it all. I dont think this falls in the facts catagory, but more in the tinfoil hat.

I just sent you a friend request. For my comment. it is not a tin foil hat when you know who’s who.

I disagree with a subset of M’s comment. I think the argument was to be a top of the leaderboard player that often had botters, some felt that they needed to bot to level the playing field.

You can think of it this way. For the Tour de France during the Lance Armstrong era, the Tour was riddled with cheaters and many cycling teams felt they had to cheat to be competitive. When Armostrong was ultimately banned, they left the winner of those tours vacant since the second place cyclist was also implicated in doping.

As an EU habitant i can confirm this, doesnt mean it happens here, otherwise the ones with who are the loudest are the ones also suspicious like metalhead or others.

Anyway i appreaciate the friend request but even tho i respect your opinion on the forum, i will leave it on the forum, dont need personal discussions with all due respect.

We have had a player admit on the forum that they had 2 accounts and gave both usernames. That individual made forum posts in the old megathread on both accounts. Later on, Blizzard banned one of their accounts.

It happened a few times on the megathread, by multiple people.
Not sure what anyone would get out of mass posting or flagging, but to each their own.

It would be nice for an OP to have the ability to mute trolls in their own threads, that would help with the derailing and make threads easier to read or contribute rather then reading personal off topic quarrels.

3 Likes

I strongly disagree. This can be weaponized by any troll who makes a thread to shut down legitimate discussion, to propagate their trolling unchecked, and/or to quash contrasting viewpoints.

This idea was proposed in the old forum and was quickly dismissed as doing far more harm than good.

I recall a time in the old Forum where a poster (who shall remain nameless) wanted the ability to remove other posts from a thread he created. It did not end well and I believe he was the only person that Miss Cheetah put on Ignore. :grin:
I got drawn into that dumpster fire and will never do that again.
MicroRNA and I are probably referring to the same thread.

1 Like

Anything can be weaponized. Blizz had to take out the “I’m sorry” emote from Hearthstone because it was being “weaponized” as BM’s. Literally saying “Hello” can be weaponized depending on the context.

We really just need Bravata, possibly Naksiloth, and maybe that dude who keeps posting non sequitors, all to get perma’d. That’s literally all we need.

Maybe also give me a time out once in a while when I get riled up. That’s it.

This place would be 9,001% better and that’s literally all they have to do.

We are.

1234567i90123

1 Like

If you type (without the quotes, obviously) <“twentycharacters”> it will turn into an invisible tag that is like, 18 characters long.