Charm Inventory

that’s exactly what it is meant for, equipment slots for charms, you might “choose” not to equip charms in there, just as well as you might “choose” to not equip your helm.

As for mid lvlers concern, they would already keep worthwhile charms, all this changes as they would also keep junk charms, which will increase their power lvl by an irrelevant amount. (sure you can farm bunch of useful low lvl charms and equip your new toon with them for easy boost through normal, same as you equip them with low lvl sets\uniques\rws so on, don’t see much harm in that, normal\nm can already be trivialized by enchant sorc if you wish to skip it fast)

4 Likes

Nope, you guys are warping the perspective. Nice analogy - except nothing can go in the helmet slot except a helm, unlike charms in the inventory facepalm.

Inv isn’t “exactly meant for” charms, how ridiculous are you going to be? Just because they make you more powerful doesn’t mean every single one must be in the inventory, and that’s the way charms are “supposed” to be used. You guys are waaay too wedded to always, constantly being at 100% max power potential.

3 Likes

Exactly, you can run around naked and use your equipment slots as inventory space to store the equipment you find! Quite brilliant strategy too! D2 is all about those unique choices! Oh that d2 magic!

Now on a serious note, it’s a rpg game, if you have an option to make your character more powerful at the expense of convenience and you don’t use it = you play it suboptimal and handicapping yourself.
Every end-game build will always use full inventory of charms (+ cube for pve builds). Always.
Adding charm inventory will only improve QoL of those end-game players, changing nothing about their power-level.
It will not take anything away from low lvl players either.
You guys just arguing for the sake of arguing.

3 Likes

A false statement as we know for a fact it will change players power levels. A Charm inventory will allow Every single player in the game to have a full inventory of charms with no repercussions whatsoever.

Even most Diehard Charm users the ones who remove their cube, and tomes still leave a small place to pick up loot. Usually a 2x4 or a 2x3 spot.

And when in a 8 player group setting Generally leave more then one spot to pick up loot because you don’t have the advantage of unlimited time to go into town and make space to pick something up.

At Bare Minimum Every single player in the game would have 2x4 more charm slots than normal because they could Fill the entire “Charm Inventory” where as you wouldn’t fill your entire Regular inventory for fear of not being able to pick up loot drops.

And much more realistically since the majority of players keep a Horadric Cube(because it provides more space), Tome of Town Portal, Tome of Identify, Keys(have to be on you to open chests), and sometimes extra potions. You are talking about anywhere between 2x4 - 4x8 give or take 2-5 single slots.

Which means realistically your average player would be 10-37 charm slots stronger then current.

As it has been said before, a Separate charm inventory would alter the core gameplay by providing a rather large boost in effects to your average players.

And furthermore it would be abused, once people realize they can stack charms to the high heavens with no negatives. They will have entire full charm inventories of good charms. Not just the poor ones we throw away.

2 Likes

I personally am planning on seeing how much work it would take to port over a mod I have played with for years because the inventory was to darn small and that is the collector’s backpack which allows you to have a 16x14 inventory worth of space and a bank space of 16x16 and a cube space of 16x16 because if I am stuck with a punny small pathetic excuse for an inventory I will not play the new and improved version the inventory size has always been a problem and 100+ mods changing the size can’t be wrong.

2 Likes

This 100% needs to be a thing. Please do not listen to the hardcore “superfans” who get pissy at the idea of the game being more convenient and more fun for casual players.

A charm inventory would be an incredible QOL change that changes nothing about gameplay whatsoever.

8 Likes

I dunno in end game, although annoying I guess, it makes you swap between skill/dmg/MF depending on your strength, at no point in time does this game make you carry charms, I always took them as a bonus that I would love to stuff as many as I can but I need to chose which ones I keep… but like I said it’s something I personally never felt was a problem.

Saying that, unlike some other issues, I am pretty meh on whether they do this or not.

1 Like

I would like a full separate equipment inventory, if we are arguing for things which are just qol and by pass the whole inventory management part of the game.
Why should I have to either go to town or carry mf gear to swap to when I kill the boss. Just give me a whole different inventory for that.
I would also like a mana/health/rejuv inventory because why not. Its just qol and doesn’t change anything

2 Likes

In diablo 2 , your inventory is just another socket like your helmet/ring etc.
The fact that the space is limited is what gives it value.
Adding stash tabs does not negatively impact the game.
Changing the main inventory size starts to alter the Build of Characters

3 Likes

Lol, but people will believe you :monkey:

The above describes well the gameplay and trade off you need to make. It is part of your strategical decisions: greed vs. power. This choice is part of many other games. Changing this to separate inventory for charms for me will change the core mechanics in a significant way. If we continue like this, than we might end up with more convenient potion mechanics, so I can easily drink 100 tawing and antidote potions and forget about cold and poison resistance for hours. So I think this is not a quality of life improvement.

A mild improvement in this direction, could be to have an auto-pick to Cube option. I already see on some shots, now on big screens you can see Cube, Inventory, and most of the level at the same time. I wander if cube will be auto-open by default, but I would very much like to be the case.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the kind of addition that should be made to address the high lvl farmer’s woes.

I can only say it again… Let the game release, let us get our “D2R_patch_1.0.exe” and then, I don’t even care, if one season later, we have a charm inventory, stackable runes, gems etc. If I don’t like it, I had my “hype-nostalgia-with-more-than-25fps-ladder” and can stick to 1.0 for singleplayer.

I just want the possibility to play good old D2 with more than 25 fps. And that’s not a lot to ask for, considering the promises, the devs made for the remaster.

I say, no further changes for the release version. That way, most people in this forum can get what they want (just not at the same time).

2 Likes

I know you are very very clearly joking here, but couldn’t the argument for a MF weapon switch be made for some of the same reasons the inventory charm reasons are?

Rather than forcing me to switch give me two equip slots that add to my MF. Since I can just switch weapons at last kill anyway, it makes no difference.

I obviously think a charm Inventory is a better idea, this just more clearly explains what you are actually asking for by including it. I think so many are just used to it by playing with it in mods that they don’t see it as a design change and just QoL.

2 Likes

TBH I have always considered the ability to switch from a full combat weapon to a full MF weapon to be kind of silly, and while you can definitely argue that that + inventory management were meant to be part of the game, I don’t think the Devs, at the time, were thinking about it like that at all.

IIRC the rationale for having two weapon sets equipped was that you might want a different weapon for different enemies, and that it would be a good idea to have a backup if your main weapon breaks. And Charms, I’m sure they thought people would overload their inventory, but not to the point of only being able to pick up items through the cube.

Charms not having their own inventory at this point is an inconvenience and nothing more. There’s zero good reason to keep the cube-looting in the game because you’d only be keeping it for the sake of keeping the game “pure”. It isn’t fun. Nobody actually thinks it’s fun. The only people who claim it’s fun are lying so that new players can’t have a more convenient, more fun experience than they have had.

And that attitude needs to die.

5 Likes

Not at all, charms in your inventory are a choice you have to make. I’m currently running a solo self found non-twinked summoner through the game. 18 of my 40 inventory slots have various resist charms so that I can safely clear through NM meph/wsk/baal runs without dying all the time.
A charm inventory would mean that I could easily carry a set of MF gear with me, making boss kills so much more valuable. Would that be “better” of course it would. I would get more loot, the game would be easier as I wouldn’t have to actually think about whether I wanted charms or ease of loot. But the game would in the end become more boring.
Loot and your inventory matter in D2, what you do or don’t choose to carry makes an impact on you clear speed, your looting, your drops. It is all those things that have made this game what it is.

4 Likes

Exactly, excellent post Moojor.

It’s a choice like you said. You can always TP back to your stash and get your MF charms for boss/elite kills. When you have a 90+ with good gear you will kill bosses/elites regardless, maybe it will take a bit longer to kill them due to damage drop. Your logic only applies to intermittent characters, and levelers maybe.

You don’t get to use more charms. Charms would only be useable in the charm inventory.

Yeah, but if everyone has a 4x10 inventory for charms, everyone’s able to use 4x10 charms no matter what else they’re holding.

In Diablo II, we can only use as many charms as fit beside the other items in our 4x10 inventory.

So… you see why people would get to use more charms? They’d have an entire 4x10 space instead of a fraction of a 4x10 space.

1 Like