Captain Crimson on WW Barb

Yay or nay?

Seems like you can get a lot of toughness and CDR with this set, but you give up convention of elements and Mantle of Channeling.

You don’t give up COE. You give up stomp and band of might.

Nay for the simple fact the core build can clear higher because of pixel stacking causing area to be more valuable then crimson extra base damage.

Not on hardcore lol. Maybe later.

Here’s my guy:
https://us.diablo3.com/en-us/profile/Seeders-1949/hero/130041974

I’m trying to get rid of all the resource cost reduction I have on gear, since i finally got the BK swords.

Just look at the top ranked barbs. Core has enough defense for hardcore and more damage when played correctly then crimson does. Yes on hardcore ill reiterate!!! Season or non.
Low or high paragon. Your welcome to play the build you want but crimson is sub optimal.

Yay, because I like the Crimson set and could care less about “optimal” which is just elitist speak for “getting on the leaderboards” (which has absolutely no value except self-stroking ego fetishes.)

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with a fetish for winning.

You’re right, and my advice is simple: Don’t bother with the Crimson set. If you don’t have crazy high Paragon and are willing to give up Band of Might, the Core build is going to be tougher, safer, and will deal more damage.

In the future, direct questions about Rend (or other builds) to the appropriate guide in this forum. Makes it easier to get quick answers.

I don’t disagree with your preferred playstyle, but generalizing people who optimize the build and like pushing the leaderboards as elitists is ridiculous. Much as you enjoy playing the game under specific (self-defined) conditions, others enjoy the competitive aspects of pushing for Rank 1, and that doesn’t make them elitist or ego-stroking fetishists. It makes them players, and members of this community, who are no better or worse than you.

If your attitude is going to be so hostile, take it elsewhere.

10 Likes

Whats your opinion on BK vs Istvan’s Paired Blades? I see both on the ladder.

I personally like the movement speed from BK, and obviously infinite rage, while 45% attack speed is respectable.

Istvan’s seems like it puts a lot more burden on the rest of your build for just a bit more local-to-the-item damage. (30% inc damage + 30% inc AS vs 45% AS)

Again, the guide answers all your questions.

BK’s should only be used for speed-farming (NRs and low GRs). If you’re pushing, use the IB swords.

To give some perspective of crimson vs core waste, I’m 6k paragon NS. I tested crimson again recently, and the incoming damage is still too much even with pumping paragon points into vit for 1m hp. With core waste, I can pump max move speed and the rest into str for 42.5k main stat and survive gr140 with 424k hp much more easily than crimson + 1m hp. Hint, I can’t even play out a GR with crimson at this level, it’s just constant death over death.

With the added survivability of core waste, you deal much more effective dps. My next test into crimson will be whenever I hit 7k paragon, if at all. For now, core waste all the way.

2 Likes

If you find it hostile, that is your choice. Truth hurts.

1 Like

As you push higher, the main limiter isn’t your toughness, its the damage you can do. Enemy damage scales a LOT slower then enemy health as the GR increases. You have to start trying to find every single multiplier as you can even when it starts to bite into your toughness. Player toughness scales due to paragon as the higher paragon you go and more main stat you get, you gain more toughness that route.

Yes there are other builds that work good. Esp if your not on the super end of teh pushing as Paragon does change your gear around as it gets higher due to paragon providing damage and toughness but per the above, you need to boost damage far faster.

1 Like

Or it could be that I actually want to give players the best advice for clearing rifts. Advice has been something I have found on this barb forum over the years and I have greatly benefited from it. Some on the other hand refuse to listen or just acknowledge that they don’t like a certain play style. This is fine but don’t come on here and keep asking questions if you don’t want the best answer. You can even be more specific and ask since I only want to play crimson what is the best possible build for clearing high rifts?. Then I know core build is not an option and go from there. What is funny is 100% of the players that actually listen and are open to playing this build the correct way have greatly exceeded their own expectations and have become motivated to clear even higher.
I was one of those stubborn player until I chose to play the build the optimal way. Now I am one of the top barbs in the world because of players like Free and Rage who have given me harsh but accurate advice over the years. I have in turn given this same advice to players like Seras who now has even more impressive clears then myself. If that makes us elitist or ego strokers then so be it. Your more then welcome to go find advice from players like Dieharder. He’s got all kinds of fun stuff that is only for fun. Me, Seras, Kav and anyone else who wants to at some point be rank one will continue to push the limits of wwrend and move up the rankings.

8 Likes

Don’t feed the troll. His brand of “truth” is as ridiculous as they come, and he’s not going to find much traction in a forum whose members daily do an outstanding job helping players no matter what their goal.

4 Likes

They shouldn’t feed me!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha, maybe I should be Chris and you should be Rage!

2 Likes

Why am I picturing you both saying “I’m Spartacus!”

1 Like

Lol, not the first time I’ve been the subject of a Spartacus reference!

1 Like

I like captain crimson on WW Barb with the Bul Kathos set. I hate running out of fury. I know I won’t be going much past GR110, but that is ok with me. I might try full ww with istvan blades after the season to push a personal best, but for now, I will stick with my Crimson Rend build.

The top clears use crimson. They have so much paragon that they don’t really NEED band of might. Everyone else, lol./