Can we have seasonal ladders that run older patches?

For example I know there are a lot of people that would love to play 1.09 again, would it be viable to have seasonal ladders that could run older patches ? I think this could help keep ladder season fresh and fill the void of players who want their nostalgia hit from earlier patches.

I understand this will cause item overlap from different patches in non ladder, but then it will actually mimic the way non ladder is in current Diablo 2 today.

I personally don’t like 1.14, because of the unlimited respec options.

I’m not saying that the ‘norm’ ladder seasons shouldn’t be 1.14, I’m simply saying this could add some variation after we’ve done the same ladder seasons over and over after a year or so.

2 Likes

Really, all I would care to have is a rebalance on a new patch. Move the game forward on it’s own fork, keeping the 1.14d it’s own thing.

We don’t need to split the community. If you don’t like respecs, don’t use them. You can still recreate your character if you accidentally tick a skillpoint or statpoint you didn’t want. :man_shrugging:

If you don’t like the higher rune drop rates, then Charsi 19 Zod runes before keeping the 20th.

You will always have the power of choice.

I don’t think splitting the community will be an issue if as many people bought this game as I feel, at least on PC. Dunno if console players would stick around long term anyways. Game already was split via servers on old battle net. I don’t feel that will be an issue on global servers.

1,09 is the time diablo 2 have the most player playing the game
and the best and most balance gameplay also bot are very limited to farm the npc and pindleskin , no lazy afk baal run , 1.09 is the true legacy of d2 , sadly today in 2021 player are lazy and clueless , all they know is to spam teleport and leeching other in baal room . btw you dont split any community on a arpg 8 player game lol is terrible all the non sense i read on this forum

6 Likes

This isn’t splitting the community, this is changing things for a specific ladder season. It would still be a single ladder and non-ladder.

I am not opposed to multiple ladders though. Splitting the community is not a problem for a game this big.

Unless the player base is as large as WoW and there are monthly subscription, this can only be a dream. :slight_smile:

They seriously need to consider trashing the 1.10+ patches.

They would need to have multiple “non ladder” groups, like

1.08 ladder 1.08 nonladder
1.09 ladder 1.09 nonladder
1.14 ladder 1.14 nonladder,

Otherwise everyone would have to timetravel just for nonladder pvp.

Other than this, I know this is probably a pipe dream but I would love online support for old patches. Probably too technically difficult for them to ever bother to implement, but who knows!

Well since they’re focused on nostalgia and catering to the original player base, I’m sure there were some type of discussions about using older patches.

My idea was not using the exact patch, just making a new patch that follows older patches. Then once each ladder season is over there might be some new goodies in non ladder.

If we’re going to do multiple ladders and non ladders, I think it would make sense for one to stay 1.14 and the second ladder to have all the content additions.

I have no clue how it would work, and I am sure at most would only be allowed in a ladder, and not transferred over, but they could have events where one season is this patch settings for gear and all, the next is normal, but that’s just weird fragmenting, running multiple ladders with different versions, could never mingle in non ladder economy, so many factors.

Perhaps have a setting for offline where you can choose 1.09 1.1 1.14 settings and play like that. This at best would be something they throw in for fun later. (EDIT: I 99.9% would say it’s a waste of their time to do that)

I think it could work in the non ladder economy because it would be similar to how NL has items from different patches in the current version of D2.

I really do think having multiple ladders and non ladders would make the most sense if the game was popular enough, but if retention isn’t great after a year then we’ll likely never see this type of support.

True that’s why the idea intrigued me, I thought hey weird old versions lying around at times was cool. You would need to have that patch version available to jump in continuously, because if an uber item available in 1.09 version suddenly hits the all versions non ladder, it will be hurtful to people not involved. Not to mention balancing some of the odd weapons or stats between each version, some even did completely different things. I do find the idea fascinating in that respect though.

Yeah realistically I don’t think they would do it, but there should be an answer for players who want to enjoy the benefits of having no synergies and less overpowered runewords in D2.

This would be awesome i would love some 08 Valks or to own one of the original arreats that glowed white before they changed it…