Can someone break down what happened in the trailer?

Hey guys! I know next to nothing about diablo lore, but I been getting back into it since the trailer! ;D. However what exactly was going on? Who was Tyrael with, just guns for hire? Was he just searching for knowledge?

When they were summoning Lilith how come she came out of flesh and blood?

Sorry I know these questions are noob ones! But thank you for your help on understanding!

There was no Tyrael in the trailer.

That guy is not Tyrael, that’s a random scholar, probably a Horadrim.

Hold up really? Thought it looked just like him.

The guy in the trailer appears to be much younger than Tyrael, looks very different to me, and has a completely different voice and accent. I think he’s a scholar from Kehjistan or jungles of the east. Didn’t see any indications that he’s Horadrim, but it’s not impossible.

1 Like

I doubt he’s a horadrim, I would think they would have enough knowledge about what that place was.

My guess is this was just some random scholar, who possibly stumbled upon something allowing him to translate what he was seeing.

Also in regards to appearance, idk where people got the idea it was tyrael from…

First off tyrael had a much older body than that, decades before this is supposed to happen.

And another thing on appearance, Tyrael is pretty jacked, he would’ve lamped those 2 goons trying to intimidate him with absolute ease.

And that’s before you get into the lore reasons as to why would Tyrael struggle to translate what he saw, why would he be surprised what he found, or even contemplate the thought of summoning a demon?

1 Like

Initially the trailer LOOKED to be placed in Tristram again with the cathedral being front and center. However, with the pickaxe and shovel right next to the hole, it seems that the four adventurers had to dig their way through as least the first layer. you can also see where the almost-tile like stone flooring had been scraped away and runes can be seen in the second layer. The “cathedral” also looks to be much smaller than it did previously which makes me believe it probably wasn’t the one we know from Tristram. Additionally, the crater from the falling star in D3 seemed far bigger as well. That and she was banished before Diablo 1 or 2 took place so it really doesn’t make much sense for it to be Tristram. Unless of course the Cathedral was SO big that we just “never ran into it” on either of the first games?

Obvious spoiler alert as far as lore goes, this is a recap of everything Lilith
With that, we know that Lilith was banished into the Void by Inarius after he found out that Lilith had killed their fellow “renegades” (other demons and angels that escaped the eternal conflict). She killed them because they were afraid of the nephalem and were fighting over if they should be killed or not. Then humanity became more weak as time went on and with every passing generation.

She secretly returned during the Sin War (Pretty sure… I’m looking up a guide that doesn’t say exactly anyways. So I don’t remember how) and cast a spell on the worldstone to allow the nephalem to develop their powers once again. She then tried to get a dude to rally an army of nephalem against the Cathedral of Light (led by Inarius) and the Temple of the Triune (led by the Prime Evils). Dude figured out that she was a demon and they parted ways. Dude fought the Triune and eventually took Lilith down, as nephalem do, and Inarius helped in secret. Inarius afterwards rebanished her using methods that would keep her away better. Bam!

After Andariel and her succubi were killed, she then helped Diablo gain enough power to reincarnate into the mortal plane. All while being in another plane herself. They then brought back Duriel and Izual and eventually those three died again (Diablo 2).

Lilith was technically the Uber boss of Andariel in D2 but we won’t talk about that because she was banished for that…

Really, what I’m wondering is if the cultist in the trailer is Rathma who was the first nephalem? That would be cool.

I think the scene in the trailer shares as much similarities with Tristram as the scholar does with Tyrael … (i.e., Tyrael and the scholar are both black and dressed in robes; Tristram and the scene both have churches and are delapidated). Other than that, it’s quite obvious it’s probably not Tristram. The landscape is very dissimilar and the church is much smaller, and the cross-like symbol on the church and in the very first scene is new (at least I think it is).

Lilith as Andariel uber boss is not part of story/lore.

It’s not Rathma. See all the other threads speculating on the meaning of the trailer. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Four randoms, nobody from lore, literally just a group of adventurers. Three fighter-types and a caster, coming on an old door utilizing blood magic.

The why, and the who that was summoning her, and even the method of summoning are unexplained. There’s nothing in precedence that really shines a light on the ritual, so you can’t get a substantive answer on the matter. What you see is pretty much what you get, but do detach the tyrael-like person from an actual Tyrael. I see the resemblance, but I assure you, they are not the same.

1 Like