Can PoD, PlugY and Project Diablo 2 mods be made for D2R?

I’ve heard conflicting information on the exact type of mods that will be supported by D2R. I first heard that any game file changing mods would not be supported. But then I heard that they were actually making changes to allow for more customization and modding.

Have they revealed any more details on this?

3 Likes

The only answer we’re going to get pretty much until modders actually can start digging into D2R is “it depends”.

The current information from what I can find is that there is a certain way of modding Diablo 2 called a code injection that they aren’t going to support anymore. However, the flip side of this is that they’re going to make a lot more things easier to access so modders don’t need to resort to doing code injections.

Though when you get into if mods like PoD, PlugY, or Project Diablo can be rebuilt on D2R exactly as they are in Diablo 2 it becomes a lot of “it depends” based on some background technical details we aren’t likely to get until the modders start actually modding the game.

1 Like

I am a D2 modder, so if you find exact information on the topic I may look into it - just copy/paste it here.

The deal with D2 modding is that you have soft (txt files editing) and hard (injections) modding.

If what Cyonan says is true they will be making it so that you’d be able to achieve with soft modding most of what’s achievable with hard modding atm. So, the mods in question will be able to be transferred to D2R on 95%, but that will take nevertheless a lot of time.

Once they release the Alpha in next months, the modders will start transferring their mods to the D2R version, so by the end of the year you’ll have the most popular of these enabled for D2R.

1 Like

Personally having to mod a game in the first place means it’s either been stopped working on for a reason or it’s a bad game.

I consider D2 pretty bad game as of 2021.

4 Likes

It’s not bad it’s old.

The only mod I care about is free respecs and stat reallocation. So easy to screw a character up permanently in D2. Finding PlugY has made that game way more fun for me.

Or, modders want to take it in directions that the developers did not.

3 Likes

Soooooo…you’re saying D2 is on the ‘stopped working on’ side? Or you simply have a massive cognitive dissonance :smile:.

Then again, weren’t there modding of D2 prior to 1.14? Also, if D2R is coming out, does that make it not ‘stopped working on’?

So how about all of that content added to minecraft? LOL

Mods are not just for dead games.

D2 was modded yes. I guess D2R is pretty much a mod. I would like to see more content added i just can’t see them doing so since that’s basically why D;I is coming out for.

Minecraft is for children, Diablo for adults. How can we even compare the two xD.

1 Like

As long as something can run locally on your computer (IE offline), it can be modded for offline play. I don’t expect PD2 to come to d2r though, because pd2 has their own private servers and they seem to focus a lot on the multiplayer online experience, which in D2R will use the more modern battle net servers which will definitely make the idea of making a private server way less attractive, to say the least.

if the game is designed to be modifiable, youll know pretty quickly when you get to the files. games that are easy to modify tend to have the files out in the open, often easily able to be edited.

if the game is not moddable, these files wont show up, and the game cannot be modded. right away, that is.

its already in diablo 2, and hence, the remaster.

Try enjoying vanilla LoD after playing MedianXL for a year…

Vanilla is bad AND old.

3 Likes

I agree. I’d be happy if they included free respecs in D2R ladder, but I suspect I’m in the minority there. I’d be pretty thrilled if they at least included it (as well as infinite shared stash) as an option in single player.

The “injections” type of modding is actually replacement, usually of the primary data file and the executable (most mods don’t work on 1.14, but require 1.10 or 1.12). Eastern Sun is a good example of that. I’d love to see that one brought back though. Now that computers have enough RAM, if Blizzard enabled a “Mods” folder to act as data overrides, that might be how these end up being done.

It’s a good bet that PlugY won’t return though, at least not easily. But then again, programmers can be one really bullheaded lot and possibly brute force a way to it. But I’d keep expectations low insofar as Blizzard wants to keep cheating from ruining this version of the game, so expect only soft modding to be allowed (data overrides, but not executable overrides).

I lost interest in testing as I really have become accustomed to PlugY. At this point it will be an insta-buy once I know something like PlugY will work offline. Ideally, much bigger mods like PoD or PD2 would work as well sometime down the line.

1 Like

Reckon we need to wait until modders get their hands on the alpha/beta or even the final game. In the interview developers gave Gamestar it was stated that D2R will not be supporting mods that change core game files.

I should think that is something to do with the online authentication which you’re required to do even when playing in “local” mode. And no, it’s not called “offline” mode which might be another subtle hint.