Bring. Back. TCP/IP. NOW!

Ppl need to realize, that with removal of TCP/IP and sending cease and desist orders to ppl running private servers, Blizzard is killing of mod support for D2R.
Say bye bye to online multiplayer mods.
Even Median-XL creator Brother Laz was considering remaking Median for D2R, now this will never happen.

I was looking forward to the online modding in D2R more than anything else. It is what still gets me playing D2 20 years after the release. This not happening in D2R is a BIG loss and I hope Blizzard reconsiders these decisions.

Time to keep your promises, bring back TCP/IP. If there are vulnerabilities - fix em!

78 Likes

Get over it. Not happening no matter how much you cry and whine. Grow up.

24 Likes

TCP/IP is great for local multiplayer. You don’t need to open the ports to internet to be “vulnerable”. This is such BS reasoning and totally unnecessary change.
Also watch it with the attitude.

41 Likes

Nice ultimatum. What you gonna do if they don’t?

6 Likes

It’s really not a source of risk for local multiplayer isn’t it?

I would like to see them implement a substitute for local multiplayer aswell.

15 Likes

They did say TCP/IP will be available for D2R. If they are removing features, at least offer an alternative.

29 Likes

Who were you responding too? Oh yeah, that’s right, they’re on my ignore list.

7 Likes

Sure, you can have your promised TCP/IP and the dangers of using it. By all means.

But you’ll have to code it back into the game yourself.
:man_shrugging:

I for one wouldn’t trust anyone in current computing technology with direct access to my computer or network. It’s just absolutely silly.

I will also remind everyone in this thread - nay, the entire forum, that discussing the vulnerabilities and how to abuse them is not permitted on the Blizzard forums, so I’d be careful what you say when you’re attempting at validating the pros/cons of TCP/IP.

4 Likes

Bring. Back. Grammar. NOW!

4 Likes

BRING BACK TCP/IP NOW please

13 Likes

Will there still be an “Open Battle.net” mode, where you can play with local saves?
Would be nice to be able to load up our old characters just for fun, though not a big deal.

It would also mean an option for unlimited characters.

Any news on how many characters slots “Closed Battle.net” will have yet?

1 Like

Im sorry for those who wanted to use that feature, but if it is necessary to keep the game cleaner from hacks, then go ahead and remove it.

7 Likes

Bring back direct connect over 56k. NOW.

3 Likes

^ This. I’m positive the client can be coded so the connectable IP range is only for local addresses rather than masked, external ones.

Why it isn’t being implemented… that I’m not so positive on.

4 Likes

Yes please Tcp/ip or open bnet.

So we can play with friends with single player characters.

10 Likes

There’s a reason people are wanting this. not everyone wants to play a game online or always have a good internet connection. Blizzard should put it back and people like you should keep you mouth shut. If you don’t care that it’s in, don’t comment.

8 Likes

Used to love Hardcore D2 with friends in my apartment on a local server. Wife and I were looking forward to the same experience in D2:R. Neither of us will touch D3 Hardcore with the random death by lag spikes we get in regular D3 thanks to its must-be-online crap.

Just found out about the removal of a promised feature that was the ONLY reason I considered it worth buying…so yeah, I’ve already requested a refund.

Edit: Support refunded me, no issues. Truly disappointed they chose to do this to us, though.

8 Likes

They removed open battle.net around the same time.

Now, hold on. Many people pre-purchased this game early - back when Blizz was telling us TCP/IP would be included. Blizz dropping this capability constitutes a breach of promise to its buyers.

At the very least, it should offer a refund to any buyer who purchased before it was announced that TCP/IP would not be included. I’m sure the numbers would be miniscule, and it would allow those who felt that capability was a deal-breaker a way out.

Of course, Blizz can fall back on “no specs are final” argument, but this sounds like shady lawyering, and I think it would bring in even more bad publicity than they’re currently experiencing. They could offer a refund which likely will cost them pocket change, while generating good publicity at the same time. This isn’t hard to evaluate.

The way things are going for Blizz these days, you’d think they’d be looking for good publicity anywhere they could find it!

7 Likes

They will do it as far as the vulnerability they foud can get a fix. I hope they do, so all you that enjoyed that feature of the original game can keep enjoying it. Please guys be patient, you are all experienced d2 players that the new d2r community needs. They will find a way.