Brand New Alienware M15 R3 with game lag

DxDiag

MSInfo

What’s the deal? Running ATT fiber internet. Windows 10, Intel i7-10875, 4TB SSHD, 32GB ram, RTX 2080 with Super Max-Q with a OLED screen and 3840 x 2160 resolution.This computer has nothing on it but Battlenet and Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat. Every time I encounter a new monster or unique/named monster (monster lore button appears) the game lags horribly to almost unplayable. I was really hoping to have a great gaming experience with my new rig, but now I am spending my time off reading threads about how to troubleshoot gaming lag on a game that was released 9 years ago. (This computer would destroy anything from 9 years ago) My FPS during game lag remains above 90 fps just like during most gameplay. This seems like a game issue since I don’t get any lag until I encounter a boss monster or new monster. I am up to ACT IV and the lag just keeps getting worse. The worst is the timed events in the game are completely not doable.

Hey there Oberon,

I can understand the frustration of having a beefy system like you have yet still having Diablo 3 performing as if the system is barely able to run the game. There is one known issue that may explain game freezes that’s related to the latest versions of Windows. It may be a factor here, yet I also have a couple other ideas to suggest.

First is to make sure the game is using the more powerful GTX 2080 Super, as laptops with Windows will sometimes get confused and try to use the Intel UHD graphics instead. We can force this with adjusting 2 settings:

3D settings

1. Right click on the desktop and open the Nvidia Control Panel
  2. Click on Manage 3D Settings on the left
  3. Go to the Program Settings Tab
  4. Browse and select the Blizzard game. If there is a drop-down menu called Select Preferred Graphics Processor, choose High Performance Nvidia Processor. This drop-down may not always be present
  5. Click Add and close the Control Panel

PhysX physics engine

1. Right click on the desktop and open the Nvidia Control Panel
  2. Click on Configure Surround PhysX on the left
  3. On the PhysX Settings drop-down select the Nvidia card
  4. Click Apply and close the Control Panel
  5. Restart the computer after configuring the options in Nvidia Control Panel

The other idea is to see if just resetting the in-game settings as well as video driver helps.

If neither of the above works, check out this thread for the known issue. There are a few ideas there from other players that have helped that may be worth trying since this does sound similar.

1 Like

Thanks for the fast reply Ironthorne, I tried all your suggestions. Nothing worked. Then I tried my lvl 70 Crusader. Started Act IV. with no problems at all. I went back to my lvl 51 Wizard, Lag issues as soon as combat starts, but FPS staying above 70, I am averaging about 90. I am thinking it’s some item bug or a combination of items/skills not working well together. Kinda bummed I can’t level up my wizard anymore since she is now pretty much unplayable. I might try some different item combinations and change skills to see if that helps.

Hi:

Your level 51 wizard is wearing Stone Gauntlets… the power of that item reads:

Getting hit increases your armor by 50%, but reduces your movement speed by 15% and attack speed by 20%. This effect stacks up to 5 times.

Perhaps that’s where the « lag » is coming from… 4 or 5 stacks of a 20% drop in attack speed ought to be very noticeable :grin:. Try playing your wizard without those gloves… you’ll be less tanky but, if I’m right, you’re not going to see that lag.

That doesn’t mean you won’t get hit by the issue mentioned by @Ironthorne in its last paragraph… and getting acquainted with the topic he links is a good idea.

======================================================================
Edit : I just noticed that your crusader is wearing Ice Climbers… those boots will negate the negative effect of Stone Gauntlets.

2 Likes

Boubou,
Thank you very much. I need to start reading the descriptions of my items closer. I appreciate everyone who took the time to help me solve this problem that I caused :smile:
All the best! :+1: :point_left:

2 Likes

You’re welcome.

Best of luck in your games !

1 Like

So far
PhysX physics engine settings change
worked for me.