Blizzard had no right to kill off Deckard Cain

Cain was in his 60s in Diablo. In Diablo II he was a year older. 20 years had passed at the beginning of Diablo III, putting Cain in his 80s. Let the poor old Horadric Scholar rest in peace.

Mythic Staff: Cain’s Cane  

Deckard Cain:

1202 — Cain is born.
      1264 — D1 begins, making Cain 62 years old.
      1265 — D2 begins. The Dark Wanderer travels east to Lut Gholein. Cain is 63.
      1285 — D3 begins. Deckard Cain is 83 years old.

Sources: Deckard Cain and Diablo Timeline.

3 Likes

I haven’t said a word about liking it or not. But as Diablo lore takes so much from ancient mythology, that is the definitely one aspect that can be built on.

Necromancy/revival as well.

Who’s this Deckard Cain?

2 Likes

Westwood Studios begs to differ

wikipedia. org/wiki/Kane_(Command_%26_Conquer)

Deckerd Cain should have been killed in the Ending Cinematic of RoS by Malthael via a Black Soulstone “SNAP”.

Revised RoS Ending Cinematic

1. Tyrael and Cain talk about something, while a few soldiers and citizens are nearby in the background.
  2. Suddenly Tyrael notices that one of the soldiers turns to dust.
  3. Then other soldiers and people in the Survivors Enclave turn to dust.
  4. He looks at Cain, who looks at his hands, which start to turn to dust.
  5. Cain completely evaporates into dust and Tyrael is just shocked and says nothing.
  6. Then the camera zooms back and you can see dust going up in the air over all of Westmarch.

Malthaels plan to kill 50% of humanity via the Black Soulstone has succeeded.

A worthy end for Cain.

2 Likes

You forgot 4.5 where Deckard Cain tells Tyrael that he doesn’t feel so good.

Nah, Show, don’t tell.

There already is too much unnecessary talking and explaining going on in D3.

What is happening should speak for itself - it shouldn’t have to be explained or verbally emphasized on top of that. That was one of the things that made D3 feel even more like it was written by a 12 year old.

That silence would already be powerful enough… no, the silence would actually amplify the whole scene.

Do you remember the Episode ‘The Rains of Castamere’ of Game of Thrones? The one with the Red Wedding? In the ending credits - which came directly after the Red Wedding happened - there was no music at all to let the audience sit with the shock, which intensified the whole thing even more.

Cain talking would take away from the power of such a scene.

Also, if Cain would have actually died that way, then they also should have ended that scene without music and maybe even not have music in the credits, or let some terribly sad music slowly fading in after about a minute or 30 seconds of silence.

That would have been the kind of Pyrrhic Victory I would want to see in a Diablo game. You defeated Malthael, but you were still too late.

Call me crazy, but It’s Blizzard’s IP and they can do what they want with it.

1 Like

yeah blizards needs to revive deckar pain

Eh, I wasn’t serious about it as I was only poking fun at how your scenario slightly mirrored the end events of the Avengers Infinity War film imo.

On another note, I seriously can’t see Deckard Cain surviving up until RoS. At least not unless there’s some major changes made to the game’s overall plot. His death was a strong factor that allowed Adria to enact her plans with little to no suspicion and/or resistance.

That said, I definitely think that there should’ve been a cutscene that shown different parts of the world after Malthael’s destruction to see the devastation that Malthael and his reapers had wrought onto Sanctuary. It’d been great and eerie imo to have seen kingdoms and cities in total ruin after the reaper’s attack, the earth soaked with blood as shredded corpses were littered across it from Malthael’s usage of the Black Soulstone; survivors running amok in a confused and fearful frenzy, and perhaps lastly a dark shadowy mass slithering out of our view to signify Diablo return and attempt to hide himself before the other great evils eventually separate themselves from him.

1 Like

Sooo, speaking of Adria…will she ever return? She has been lurking around diablo for quite some time and she became a lovely demon in D3.

Not to mention ridiculously wrong. It’s Blizzard’s IP.

Was it fan-fiction where we were supposed to go rescue him?

I hope the OP forgot to turn on their sarcasm font.

I know. I just used your comment as a convenient way to expand further on how this scene played in my mind, since it kinda fell into my lap already.

If there ever is a Reboot of Diablo 3 for some reason, then there definitely should be major changes be done to the overall plot and dialogue (and the atmosphere as a whole).

She fooled Tyrael, Leah and the Heroes, all beings that were very sensitive to “sensing evil” and fighting it.

I don’t think that Cain would have been in her way too much (aside from him knowing that her father later became The Dark Wanderer). It also could be explained in a way that no one knows who Leah’s father or even the mother are and it just gets revealed at the end of Act 3…

“…no Leah, I am your mother…”

… and Adria is just being rescued with a group of random citizens from Caldeum and then she and Cain met again without anyone knowing that she and Leah are related.

Or scratch the whole plot about Adria being Leah’s mother and let Leah just be a useful vessel that conveniently was available to Adria at that moment in time after the Evils had been captured in the stone.

Yeah, that was kinda missing. Maybe the Higher Ups already cut a part of D3’s budget, even before they announced it to the D3 team that the project will no longer be funded.

Seeing the world of Sanctuary in ruins would have been much more Diablo-like that this showcase of how strong and epic your character is…

oohh, that sounds sweet. I like it.

1 Like

Wait, there are people who unironically defend D3’s lore?

If you’re talking about when we had to rescue Cain from the Skeleton King, then no, that wasn’t fan fiction.

Ah, my mistake.

Tbh, I wouldn’t consider that a great feat, especially since our character and Tyrael couldn’t sense that Leah’s power was of demonic origin. It’s even worse that Tyrael, someone who had actually combatted with Diablo since ancient times couldn’t sense his essence within Leah’s power. Deckard Cain on the other hand had long suspected that Leah’s father was actually Diablo, this along with the fact that Adria was searching for information regarding the Black Soulstone led to Cain growing somewhat weary of Adria. That said, I have no doubt that Adria could’ve dispatched of Cain, if the situation had called for it.

1 Like

Sorry, but Act 1 was lacking in gravitas and ol’ Cain drew the short straw, apparently. Who would have it any other way?

In all seriousness, you’re not wrong OP. After all, once Blizzard shared Diablo with players, Diablo became ours too, in a sense. (That’s what it means to share something.) And of course, Cain didn’t draw a “short straw”, he was carefully selected because his was about the only death that would move players… RIP. Cain was doing a lot of heavy lifting as one of few memorable likable Diablo characters, and for it, he gets the cross-hairs. I mean, way to kill off the MVP!

Suppose that his sacrifice had a “silver-lining” and felt necessary, instead of feeling like a tool to add weight to D3’s disjointed narrative? The old man deserved better.

2 Likes

At the moment we are brainstorming and creating fan-fiction of how it could have been. At least me and Oblivion.

Nothing to applogize for.

Yeah, that is a massive hole in D3’s lore. Doesn’t make sense.

We simply re-write it so that he didn’t suspect it.

I mean, if we are already rewriting the story so that Cain lives until the end or Reaper of Souls, then we can also re-write that minor detail. Or, as I suggested, Leah could just be a random, convenient viable host for Diablo that was just there at that moment in time.

Or we can make it so that Diablo gets rebirthed in a Dark Sacrificial Ritual of Blood, like Lilith did, but instead of Embryo Lilith coming out, it is an Embryo of this guy:

Imgur

“Unholy Lord, save us!”

Sure, she could have done that, but then Cain couldn’t get Thanos’ed by Malthael and the Black Soulstone in Act 5, which would be soooooo much cooler and more impactful.

1 Like