Blackthorne's Set reworked

There’s been already many threads with suggestions what to do about this set, but this time I’d like to make a suggestion that would make this set good for farming at least T16 or maybe even up to GR100.

The idea would involve some of the ethereals affixes, so when they’re gone after season ends they could still be present in the Blackthorne’s set and primal items:

• (2) set pieces: 800 to All Stats and you deal 25% more damage to elites
  • (3) set pieces: Reduced damage taken from elites by 15% and gain 30% movement speed after killing an elite pack for 7 seconds
  • (4) set pieces: Gain 25% damage reduction for 10 seconds when encountering an elite pack and 10 seconds after. All your and your followers skills deal 15,000% increased damage.

The 15,000% increased damage to all skills means all skills that deal damage of all classes (Barb, Crusader, DH, Monk, Necromancer, Wizard and WD)

You could also rework the Rimeheart sword legendary bonus to:

• 35% chance to Freeze enemies on Hit and Hits to frozen enemies are always critical hits.

The legendary bonus could emanate, so it would be perfect for your Templar or Enchantress or you could use this sword in a LOD build too.

These changes to both the Blackthorne’s set and Rimeheart would give a much needed boost to SOLO players in terms of damage and lower the gap between SOLO and GROUP players.

Adding Convention of Elements as well as Aughild and Crimson sets (even if for season only) to the emanation list for followers would lower the gap between SOLO and GROUP (METAs) even more and prove that devs care about SOLO players too.

150-200% to all Monk, DH skills etc. and +1 to Maximum Damage per Paragon Level up to 800 (on weapons only) could be added randomly as an additional primary affix to any random Primal item, but you could only wear one primal item with each “ethereal” affix.

I know that I’ll sooner win in the lottery than get any devs attention or get any of these suggestions added to the game, but nonetheless just wanted to share this idea even if it’s a snowflakes in hell chance…

1 Like

That would be insanely op with the various 7 piece sets getting full bonus from blackthorne and a class set.

Edit/ It would be mandatory for all sets, had forgotten what slots blackthorne entailed.

4 Likes

But, I’d lose the immunity to molten explosions, the only reason to even bother with it.

And seems hybrid sets would be ubes. Might as well allow Ring of Royal Grandeur to both affect the follower and simultaneously emanate.

Just like Crimson or Aughlid with some class sets and do you see anyone complaining about it?

The whole point is to make this set useful and this way it would be, especialy for SOLO players who even with the followers revamp gained barely nothing except for faster 90-120 GR clears…

No one honestly uses this set right now even for leveling your level 1 chars, so the whole lose of immunity to some elite effects wouldn’t be a big deal anyway.

There’s a difference between “some” and “you can only use a class set which allow you to have 3 parts of blackthorne”

What you’re suggestion would at least double the damage output of any given hero+ some added toughness. No one would play a set that would not allow you to use blackthorne.

Edit/ all class sets can make use of both full bonuses, so it would be mandatory across the board.

1 Like

2pc
doubles the salvaging material yield
(emanate)

3 Likes

Make it a full 6 piece bonus that can’t be effected by RRoG and this might be a nice upgrade. Otherwise as others have it’s mandatory and OP in conjunction with other bonuses. The 15,000 is necessary for it to be competitive with others. But only as a 4pc, it can’t happen. However BT does need some retooling.

If anyone is worried about sets in D4, provided they are still around, BT is kind of what there were talking about. Small benefits but nothing that some targeted stats yellows, blues, and legendaries wouldn’t easily outshine.

That would have been nice on those ethereals I Salvaged for 101 DBs each.

While it’s been pointed out to you this is a TERRIBLE idea (it is), I agree Blackthorne’s needs a revamp. I’ve advocated for a set LoN build that gives you damage for every set item you have equipped. say 750% damage for every set item you have equipped for a 6 piece set. I think this would be interesting.

2 Likes

Sound enticing but with RoRG and any 7-8 piece Set, you can mash them together for a huge damage multiplier. If you remove the “All of your and” expression to only benefit Followers and mitigate the damage multiplier, it can be balanced. Otherwise try to push 4-piece bonus to be 5-6 piece bonus (create two extra items?) so it can be a complimentary set for Asheara’s.

Concept is nice but I have to see the possible combinations, sadly on practice it breaks some builds to be way more powerful. Considering a choice between 30-50% more damage from Aughild’s, Crimson’s or this 15000% more damage concept of Blackthorne is not even a contest or comparison.

As blackthorne has a belt and a neck something very few class sets have, it would work with all sets.

1 Like

Ah… Nice catch. I think it works with Tal too though. Throw in a RoRG with T5B3. As I said I have to see possible combinations. I’m too tired to care. Still not even a contest when compared to Crimson or Aughild.

https://i.ibb.co/Zc7MH57/Tal-Rasha-Blackthorne.png

Yeah, it would, I edited before your post got live. To tired here as well.

1 Like

The only worthy thing to do about Black Throne set, is to remove It at ALL from game, because there is enough of useless itens in game, really really enough.

The legs from the Blackthorne’s set are best-in-slot for LoD builds as they can roll with 20% elemental damage and main stat that matches your hero’s, as opposed to the previously used WD-specific Swamp Land Waders which always comes with wasted affixes and needing to have the INT re-rolled if you’re on a STR or DEX class.

This season, Monks are using LoD / WoL builds, pushing solo GR150s wearing those pants.

1 Like

3pc
Auto pick crafting mats within pickup radius
(emanate)
4pc
Auto salvage white, blue and yellow items within pickup radius
(emanate)

as opposed to the previously used WD-specific Swamp Land Waders which always comes with wasted affixes and needing to have the INT re-rolled if you’re on a STR or DEX class.

Years ago, I spent a ton of crafting mats to forge (~20 ancients and primal) Swamp Land pants. This blackthrone pants really made me regret doing all that…now you know why I want blackthorne to be salvage oriented… so I can get back those crafting mats and reforge blackthorne pants instead!

(when will I ever learn)…

This would break the game getting full bonus of BT and your class set using the royal ring.
Even if you make it a 6 piece bonus and add items to it.

I think you still could get both bonuses with zuni set since it has off-hand and ring and BT has neck and belt.

Then we should make it an 8 pc set bonus so that even with RRoG, it would be hard to use another set. I do think the other non class sets need to be looked at though.

Don’t you mean a 6 piece set? You could use 4 pieces of something else and 6 pieces of Blackthorne’s, at the expense of giving something else up. Amulet/Belt. That’s interesting gearing.

No. With the they OPness of the way it was initially described, make that 15,000 bonus an 8pc.