Black Screen and reboot when playing D3

So I can confirm that every game I play other than D3 does not crash when I run it. I have had my gaming laptop not too long and has an RTX 2060 graphics card on it. In approx. 30 mins or so my screen goes black and is forced to restart my computer. I am running my gaming laptop on my 21:9 ratio monitor and it always does this when i connect it, but when i use my laptop’s monitor, nothing occurs. I have looked across forums and numerous people had the same issue. Any advice? It kinda puts me off having to unplug alot of my setup with my monitor just to play D3.

Hey there,

If the issue is only occurring when trying to play with the external monitor hooked up to the laptop that usually indicates the problem is with the GPU or external display port.

I’d first make sure that your drivers are updated to the latest version and that the laptop is not overheating when you have the external display running. If the external monitor is higher resolution or higher refresh rate than the built-in display that could cause the GPU to work harder which may lead to it failing like this.

We technically do not support using an external display with a laptop in that configuration, but you may want to try adjusting the game to run in Windowed mode and see if lowering the graphics helps at all.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. But here’s the thing, my laptop monitor is 144Hz while my external monitor is 60Hz refresh rate. I try to go Nvidia to lower my laptop refresh rate to see if it does the trick but I have no luck in that. My drivers are also updated, so what are my options here? Windowed mode or lower my GPU? Btw, I expect Diablo IV to support such configurations without hassle.