Best passives for GoD?

I use the Icy Trail run with Strafe. Icy Trail also seems to help in corridors and rooms.

1 Like

Only somewhat related to the topic but I thought this would be a good place to mention it:

Devouring arrow DOES proc Numbing Traps despite it not appearing on the tooltip nor applying slow or chill. In fact, all Cold runes appear to proc Numbing Traps even if they do not apply slow or chill. It would seem that Numbing Trap is bugged in this regard to proc off any Cold rune, or at least its tooltip is incorrect.

This is easily verified because Numbing Traps leaves a unique graphic on top of monsters affected. The debuff looks like little white sprinkles or snowflakes above monsters’ heads.

As for Cull the Weak, I’m also in the camp that thinks it may not be worth it if you exclusively rely on the Templar to proc it with Thunderfury or his second skill that slows enemies he hits and that hit him. Looking through high level clears, it doesn’t seem to get very good coverage on packs. The best value is on the RG where you can get nearly 100% uptime.

5 Likes

Great find there! Such an odd interaction that is not immediately recognizable, especially if you’re trying to proc Numbing Traps with other skills.

I quickly tested this in game as well. More than a few cold skills proc numbing traps.

100% agree, i’ll be looking at other passives.

1 Like

Interesting bug find! This might be related to the Entangling Shot bug with Numbing Traps in that refreshing the entangled web doesn’t refresh the Numbing Traps proc.

@Iria

Do you have some quick math to show how Numbing Traps 25% debuff on monsters is better than a 25% damage reduction for player? I couldn’t figure it out.

A monster hits you for 100. You gain 25% damage reduction. You take 100 x (1-0.25) = 75 damage.

A monster hits you for 100. The monster is debuffed to deal 25% less damage. They deal 100 x (1-0.25) = 75 damage.

It’s the exact same thing.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s related to the Entangling shot bug (or interacts with that one), but I did test Hungering Arrow, using both strafe, and Ninth Cirri Satchel:

• New Hungering Arrow Devouring Arrow hits reapply Numbing Traps to targets already affected by Numbing Traps.
  • Hungering arrow Devouring Arrow projectiles that pierce will reapply Numbing Traps to targets already affected by Numbing Traps.

Haven’t tested the GoD 4pc procs, but i’d expect they’d have the same behavior.

That’s what my napkin math shows. That’s not what Iria said, though.

I don’t think the damage debuff works from just HA.

I tested this in the most mundane way possible, i.e. by playing the game.

I tried Archery, Ambush, Single Out, Numbing Traps.
I was dying all over the place on GR 115. And again on another GR 115.

Switched back to Thrill of the Hunt, Cull the Weak, Archery, Numbing Traps. No deaths on GR 115, 118, or 120.

What did I say though?:thinking:

25% damage reduction = monsters doing 25% less damage = 33.33% more toughness

Is there something else I said?

No. That’s it. I just don’t quite understand how that means 33.33% more toughness.

You have say 12 hp and a monster hits you for 4 damage. You die in 3 hits exactly with no overkill.

Now you reduce the monster damage by 25% so it does 3 damage. You now die in 4 hits exactly.

Instead you could increase your hp by 33% which is 4 hp for a total of 16 hp. You die in 4 hits exactly just the same.

2 Likes

it also increases your recovery by 33% as well.

useful when you have a lot of sustain, ie monk or simplicity healing.

It’s a matter of wording and what baseline you’re using.

If you normally take 100 damage and the damage taken is reduced to 75 damage, you say you are taking 25% reduced damage. 1 - 75/100 = 25%

If you normally take 75 damage and the damage taken is increased to 100 damage, you say your damage taken increased by 33%. 100/75 - 1 = 33%

Therefore 25% damage reduction is equivalent to a 33% increase in toughness.

There are so many confounding variables here. Mobtypes, elite types, elite affixes, monster density, map area, and so on, all influence your ability to survive. If you want to run such a “test”, you need to do it over dozens of runs or more, and even then you could encounter more personal variables like fatigue, focus, etc.

Way easier and more conclusive to test in a controlled environment.