Battlenet killed my hero!

Last night, when in a GR, the game screen disappeared and I got a Windows pop up asking for permission to update Battlenet. When the game screen returned my hero was dead of course.
Playing softcore it wasn’t a problem but hardcore players should check their Battlenet settings and disable automatic updates in settings → downloads.
I guess the update had something to do with D4 (I bought it cheap).

2 Likes

Cool story, bro

/char

3 Likes

The moral of the story here is to set the Battle.net app to close when launching a game. There is zero, I repeat, zero reason to have it open consuming resources in the background when the games have Battle.net chat built in.

5 Likes

Just checked my general settings and I do have the “On Game Launch: Exit Battle.net Completely”. Apparantly that wasn’t enough in my situation :thinking:

1 Like

That option does not close the Battle.Net Update Agent… the Agent is active as long as at least one game is running, I think.

3 Likes

Should be don’t play HC.

7 Likes

And this right here is why I’ll never play hardcore. Because things that are out of my control can end my fun prematurely.

Much easier just to play softcore and hold myself accountable.

4 Likes

I concur. My hardcore play is limited to a few season where I chased achievement points.

2 Likes

This is a strange one. I think that the option “On Game Launch: Exit Battle.net Completely” before the recent Battle.Net update has always closed the Agent.exe if was set. Not 100% sure, but almost. :slight_smile:

Today I was probably lucky not to die on HC because my firewall asked me 5 times in a row to permit a conection to a GB Battle.Net server before I started the game. Then while running the first GR there was this weird stuttering I only know from years ago, when the connection could be easily lost due to the, lets say, “unoptimized” code to keep the connection up. So went to town and checked with the Sysinternals TCP-View what task might be responsible and saw that Agent.exe was still running! Killed it with the task manager, went back and there was no more weird stuttering.

I suspect it has something to do with me also having D4. Maybe a month ago I also got this pop up while playing D3 and both times there were updates available to download and install to D4 when I later looked in the launcher. I have never experienced this before in all the years playing D3.

It doesn’t look like anyone else have experienced this and I haven’t looked in the D4 forum. (I still need to finish the last few parts of the last chapter of the campaign in that game).

just when you couldnt believe D4 could get worse, it starts making other games worse too.

1 Like

I doubt you could have avoided it even if you closed battle net client after game starts to load. This kind of slips always happen and it’s a big flaw that Battle net client doesn’t even warn you about before hand. When you know what’s coming least you can await a forceful window minization for an incoming update.

I sometimes enter the game and I get greeted by a message that says server requiring maintenance or restart, off the expected schedule. That sometimes happen really spontaneously that you can not tell if there’s a problem on your end or not. I’m in a group game, full party and I get that server maintenance message. However, other players in the same party didn’t see any server message on their end. Because, even if we are on the same game, my data apparently to be at a separated server but our clients get synchronized elsewhere.

They have this system, but couldn’t figure out a way to just warn player of an incoming update and reset of client half hour beforehand. It’s somewhat frustrating and raises a few questions. They have technology to send a message for total closure of servers before hardware replacements, yet they chose not to signal any kind of update for their client. One wonders what stopped them to not send any notifications to our phones, which has battle net mobile installed. Is this supposed to be a punishment for people who don’t keep Battle net working at the background constantly?

I remember that years ago for celebrating an anniversary, Blizzard sent out a mail with the theme; Blizzard games by numbers. In that mail, you see silly statistics about games in the recent years. Between golds collected in WoW or D.Va mech blasts in Overwatch, Diablo 3 gets mentioned with thousands of Hardcore hero deaths along the years. I’m not sure if this is something to be proud of, when people lose their character to unexpected lag or a forceful update. One of the reasons I don’t play Hardcore.