Barbarian Rend + AD question

I’ve never had my game lag or lock up due to AD or WW / tornadoes to be honest

Then you’ve not gathered enough density :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I have…just never happened…

If you had the density it would lock, and stutter. The servers can’t handle it.

lol

Go with a group and do any +120s, I sometimes cast rend with 150% AD and Pain enhancer gem in WW build in density.

Holy moly. Time and space were bent and came to a stop.

I call it the Rift Killer build.

5 Likes

Yes and no.

Whirlwind still causes AD, however since it does no damage, it isn’t beneficial. Rend however deals massive damage, but since it is applied by an item, AD isn’t triggering.

So that’s why AD isn’t interesting for WhirlRend. Best just remove it from Paragon as it can still cause issues.

Rend’s range is so small… can we use the other rune with 18 yards range instead?

That isn’t the question that was asked.

That’s what I said.

No, the question was: “Does Rend apply Area Damage”

Yes which is why I qouted you

Ok this has been going on for a while. So rend may proc AD at the moment of casting as it is an attack. However, rend DOTs cannot proc AD.

Now the question is does ambo rend cause AD? Probably not as it does not involve casting an attack skill.

Basically AD is a waste stat for rend.

Now I did know that AD was cast upon cast. This can actually be a good thing, it allows us to control lag. We can decide appropriate amount of density to bring progress, but avoid overwhelming lag, possibly.

Yes, they can. Just tested and confirmed the other day.

And again, about 30 seconds ago.

Just to be clear, once again:

Hard-cast Rends proc AD.
Ambo-Rends don’t proc AD.
Ambo-Rends will definitely overwrite Hard-cast Rends.
Hard-cast Rends will probably overwrite Ambo-Rends.

Could it be that both cast and dots proc’s AD? In my “testing”, I never stopped or waited for dots. I WW, tap for hard cast, and kept WW.

Well, here’s the thing: Rend doesn’t deal any damage on cast. So even if it could “proc AD on cast”, what would that even mean? It procs a whopping 0 points of damage onto your foes?

Hmm… so how did I achieve a 3 minute clear difference using 0% AD vs 114% AD?
Something’s not adding up.

I dunno, man. I just ran my overwriting test again, to make sure, and got the same results. I also tested whether HC Rend overwrites Ambo-Rend this time, and, as suspected, it seems to. (By the way, just to make sure, I also double checked to see if Rend deals any damage on cast. It does not.)

I would guess that maybe you were pausing after HC Rend just enough to get one tick of damage out of it, before overwriting it with Ambo-Rend. Since all the damage is compressed into 1 second, even one tick deals a considerable amount. And with a good amount of AD, and high density, you can do 8-10x your base damage via AD. So that makes that one tick of AD-dealing, HC Rend pretty valuable, relatively speaking.

In your tests, were you using a 2-Hander? I could see the cast animation with a big weapon being slow enough that by the time you’ve recovered and can go back to WWing, you’ve already passed the first tick of Rend damage.

Or, you know, it could just be a fluke. How big was the sample size of GRs you ran? It’s certainly not impossible that you just got a little luckier on the “AD rifts” than you did on the “non-AD-rifts”. Or maybe, because you wanted to see the effect of AD, you were more careful about doing a good job gathering density, which would positively effect the results of any rift you ran with a WW/Rend setup, AD or no.

1 Like

Hmm if rend dots are proccing AD, then we would see damage increasing in a cascading fashion with each proc getting larger than the previous one (if AD>100%).

I highly doubt this because AD cannot proc AD for this reason. Rend is an AOE skill if the rend dots proc AD, from two dying mobs when AD procced, it would get stronger on another 3rd mob. Also this adds to bloodbath dmg as well.

If dots proc AD, then by all means we should max out the AD stat with CdR then. As the dmg increase in exponential.

This is a really weird situation where all the non-season Barb clears have stacked area damage and all the seasonal ones haven’t.

I’m confused and don’t know what to do at this point.

If this is the the case, then there’s a lot of damage being done after one or two ticks through HC.

I was using a 2H. It maybe beneficial to do two HC and pause for 1 second in an Oculus and a cycle of CoE.

I think you’re thinking of AD proccing AD, or something like that. That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying HC Rend procs AD, which is not some great discovery on my part… people have known it for years!