Barbarian Rend + AD question

I’m hearing that Rend can’t proc Area Damage, but when I research what CAN proc area damage…it says that all DoT’s can proc it…and rend is a physical DoT…so why are peeps saying it can’t proc it?

This confuzzles me…any reasonings with seasonings?

Hard cast Rend can proc AD

Rend applied by items and set bonus does not proc AD.

This is best as I understand it.

Read Free’s WW guide, stickied at the top of this forum for more info

3 Likes

Nah, that makes more sense…forgot that procs can’t proc procs lol…hard casting makes sense…I see now…will have to update my build to erase those affixes.

2 Likes

You can still hard cast Rend in good density if you want to proc AD, but that does mean you stop spinning, so only have three seconds to cast and then start spinning again before you lose your damage reduction bonus

I can’t stand builds that need a ton of AD to be able to deal their damage, so I’m glad to see it go from the WW build. It’s just such a hollow feeling stat to have to pump. Just my 2 cents.

Hopefully it also takes away the lagging the game into a locked state in density as well.

I’ve never had my game lag or lock up due to AD or WW / tornadoes to be honest

Then you’ve not gathered enough density :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I have…just never happened…

If you had the density it would lock, and stutter. The servers can’t handle it.

lol

Go with a group and do any +120s, I sometimes cast rend with 150% AD and Pain enhancer gem in WW build in density.

Holy moly. Time and space were bent and came to a stop.

I call it the Rift Killer build.

5 Likes

Yes and no.

Whirlwind still causes AD, however since it does no damage, it isn’t beneficial. Rend however deals massive damage, but since it is applied by an item, AD isn’t triggering.

So that’s why AD isn’t interesting for WhirlRend. Best just remove it from Paragon as it can still cause issues.

Rend’s range is so small… can we use the other rune with 18 yards range instead?

That isn’t the question that was asked.

That’s what I said.

No, the question was: “Does Rend apply Area Damage”

Yes which is why I qouted you

Ok this has been going on for a while. So rend may proc AD at the moment of casting as it is an attack. However, rend DOTs cannot proc AD.

Now the question is does ambo rend cause AD? Probably not as it does not involve casting an attack skill.

Basically AD is a waste stat for rend.

Now I did know that AD was cast upon cast. This can actually be a good thing, it allows us to control lag. We can decide appropriate amount of density to bring progress, but avoid overwhelming lag, possibly.

Yes, they can. Just tested and confirmed the other day.

And again, about 30 seconds ago.

Just to be clear, once again:

Hard-cast Rends proc AD.
Ambo-Rends don’t proc AD.
Ambo-Rends will definitely overwrite Hard-cast Rends.
Hard-cast Rends will probably overwrite Ambo-Rends.

Could it be that both cast and dots proc’s AD? In my “testing”, I never stopped or waited for dots. I WW, tap for hard cast, and kept WW.

Well, here’s the thing: Rend doesn’t deal any damage on cast. So even if it could “proc AD on cast”, what would that even mean? It procs a whopping 0 points of damage onto your foes?