Augmenting Timing

I understand the importance of augmenbting to increase your damage output, but none of the guides about it ever explain when to do it. What GR level should you start augmenting your ancients, and what level should you level your legendary gem you’re going to sacrifice before you attune it to something?

Attunement? Do you mean Augment?

If so, I never augment my Ancients until I have to for the Conqueror Chapter. Since I get the Bane of the Powerful first, by the time I get the 3 Legendary Gems I want to use, BotP is already Rank 30. When I get my 3 preferred LGems to Rank 55, I then level BotP from Rank 30 to Rank 50 and use it to augment my best Ancient I have equipped.

But, that’s just me. I only play to complete the Season. If you like pushing Greater Rifts, you may want to eventually augment all your gear. (Assuming you have all Ancients and/or Primals). And some players will tell you not to augment with any LGem less than Rank 70 or higher. Of course, if you augment your gear with a lower rank LGem or include the wrong type of Flawless Royal Gems, you can always augment that item a second time. (That will replace the current augment on that item).

It really depends on your play-style and what you want to achieve during the Season.

It pretty much depends on whether you want to get it over with, or if you’re comfortable waiting a little longer. I personally don’t augment until the gem sacrificed is at 80 because I might need it for some other build/character and the process is not a lot of fun so I want to make “the most” I can. Since I usually don’t go over GR100, a level 80-90 gem is good enough for me.

Augments really only seem to make a major difference when you have them for all gear anyway and you may not even have ancient items for each slot.

Regarding what item to augment first… depends on what is best of what you’ve got. Whatever is less likely to get an improvement is my suggestion. For me, that’s almost always weapons but has been belt, helm, or even boots (because they dropped Primal, for example.)

2 Likes

Lot of factors can determine the best time to start the augmenting. How high can you do speed clears with your current gear, how many actual ancients (and decently rolled ones at that) you have. 80 is a decent baseline to start with since it will be close to about 1000 free paragon equilivant and doesn’t take long to get to that level for gems.