Assistance Please (Server disconnects)

I have been having issues with Diablo 3 and being disconnected. Usually it is stated I have lost connection to the server or Error 1016.

After completing every possible remedy stated in the pinned posts, i seem to have gotten rid of Error 1016 but am still being disconnected from the server.

I have delete folders/caches.
I have uninstalled/reinstalled.
I have run repair tool.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |

Host - % Sent Recv Best Avrg Wrst Last
10.0.0.1 - 0 9713 9713 0 0 35 1
96.120.84.61 - 1 9591 9559 7 12 150 8
ae-151-1203-rur01.clovis.ca.ccal.comcast. net - 0 9712 9712 8 16 127 12
ae-25-ar01.fresno.ca.ccal.comcast. net - 0 9712 9712 8 16 83 24
be-36431-cs03.losangeles.ca.ibone.comcast. net - 1 9705 9703 14 19 62 22
be-2312-pe12.losangeles.ca.ibone.comcast. net - 0 9713 9713 14 18 75 17
as12989-1-c.600wseventh.ca.ibone.comcast. net - 0 9713 9713 15 23 147 43
ae1-br01-csla1.as57976. net - 0 9712 9712 15 31 257 41
No response from host - 100 1964 0 0 0 0 0
137.221.68.81 - 0 9712 9712 14 19 58 16
lax-eqla1-ia-bons-03.as57976. net - 0 9713 9713 15 19 62 21
24.105.30.129 - 0 9712 9712 14 17 61 15
________________________________________________ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Number 9 shows as “No response from host - 100” and I am unsure what that means when it comes to data centers and hops from one location to the next.

There are 2 additional hops that are listed where packet loss is seen.

The time for me to disconnect varies greatly. Can happen within a few seconds or hours later. Sometimes multiple times in a row.

After I disconnect, the Battle.net app refreshes and reconnects while the game (at the same time) errors out and its forced to close.

I just need to know what this means/how to read it and what do I tell tech support.

THANKS!

1 Like

Hey there,

Looking over the WinMTR data, The test is too long. No internet connection is perfect and over a long enough timeframe you are going to see some variation/momentary issues. Typically you only want to run the test for about 10 minutes at a time while replicating the error. (Sometimes this means stopping and restarting the test every 10 minutes or so while playing until you encounter the issue.

You can ignore any line that says no response. simply means that node is set to not respond to these type of packet requests. Additionally some peering network nodes may be set to deprioritize certain types of data requests like the ones used for connection tests. So you may see evidence of data loss or high latency at specific nodes.

With an WinMTR it is a live simultaneous and continuous test of all nodes along a specific path between you and whatever service you run the test to. If there is an issue such as data loss, higher than normal latency etc… at a specific node, then every node after that would show the same or worse. If the first and last hop look good you can typically ignore most of what is in-between.

Now latency looks good and there is no confirmed data loss. If the issue happened while you were running this test, whatever is causing it isnt something that will show up in a connection test. This doesn’t mean there isn’t a connection issue, just that the test isn’t showing anything to suggest one. (This is common as connection tests use different types of data packets then what the game would be using and networks often treat this data differently)

Now completely random disconnects ranging from a few seconds to a few hours does point to an intermittent network or connection issue. Typically if it was something on the system causing it, they would be a bit more consistent in how and when they occur. Or maybe there is a pattern you just haven’t recognized yet.

I recommend continuing focus on the network for the moment, with some basic client and system cleanup.

Try doing an extended power cycle on your system. Turn off all devices including the modem. Wait 30 minutes, turn on the modem, wait 5 minutes, turn on any network devices, wait 2 minutes, turn on your computer and try the game.

You can try switching your DNS settings to use a free public DNS servers instead of your ISPs Servers:

We do not have individual steps for specific modems or routers so if you need assistance accessing or updating the devices, contact the device maker/provider.

In some cases there is a corrupt or misconfigured setting within the router or modem. We cannot say what that might be offhand but the easiest way to resolve these conflicts would be to factory reset the router and/or modem.

You may need to look up your specific model for the steps on how to do this and in some rare cases you may need to have this done by the ISP. Feel free to reach out to them for assistance if necessary.

Let’s reset the in game user options:

1. Click the blue bnet icon on the bnet app.
  2. Choose settings, then game settings.
  3. Click the reset in game user options button under the correct game listing.
  4. Confirm the changes and close the window.

We will want to run the repair tool on the game client: Blizzard Support - Repairing Battle.net Games

Try running your system in selective startup mode: https://battle.net/support/article/200483

Create a new administrator account: Blizzard Support - Creating a New Administrator Account

Once the account is created, shut down the computer, wait 60 seconds, restart, log into the new profile and try the app/client.

If that doesn’t help then the next step would be to submit a ticket for direct support including system data (link to instructions in the ticket form) along with a winmtr run as I described earlier. (Click your name at the top of this page, click support, click contact support.)

Thanks for getting back to me!

I’ve ran multiple WinMTR tests and no matter the length its showing as an ISP issue so I contacted them and had a tech 2 scheduled to look into the matter to fix anything that may be wrong.

The issue is not only happening to Diablo but also World of Warcraft. No other games or internet issues aside from these disconnects.

Thanks

I have had five of these Error 1016 today. and now I connect to d3 server.

Yes, I got disconnected 3 times last night while I was playing rift in HC mode.
The last time I was trying to reconnect and I got put in a queue for 6 mins, seriously?!
I checked Twitch tv that a few broadcasters have the same issue, I hope Blizzard fixed this already.

I got kicked 2x tonight, 1016 error. Luckily didn’t lose my HC toon this time, though I did lose my HC Tal Wiz a couple of nights ago to the same error.

Hoping D4 will have something in place to prevent us losing our HC characters to network disconnections.

i am now starting to get this as well. twice now in 10 minutes

3times in 2 min for me

I am unable to log into Battlenet through the desktop app. Notice states it’s a busy day at Battle.net and have a 26 min estimated wait time???

Hate to be the “same here” guy with the disconnects. But 4 GR runs dropped in a row with 1016 errors. All in roughly a 15 minute window.

Same issues with random drops ! having to restart to only have to wait 12 -60 mins to log in! then to have the launcher crash out while waiting to wait even longer. Cant wait to buy Diablo 4 (spend $70 for slow nonresponsive servers) OH wait that it they are taking down servers to convert in preparation of the release!!!

I wouldn’t be quite so irritated if I hadn’t lost my third 500+ level HC character this season due to disconnects!!

Battle.net crashed on my laptop, ended task in task manager and now have an hour estimated wait time to play???

The error is them always not us, there is no cue also for Diablo 3. When you see that it means, they are down. The customer support was horrible, I don’t even know why it didn’t say to you “Its our fault, sorry we been having the same issues for years and years…” That is what Customer support should have said, and should have also stated, we will work harder on fixing that before others go and pay for a game that goes down all the time for years and years over and over again.

1 Like

Same issue here 3 times.

ok who spilled the coffee on the servers

Happened again tonight to my myself and my brother. We got lucky once again that we didn’t lose our HC toons. I sure hope D4 will have something in place to prevent HC toons from dying because of Blizzard’s server issues.

I lost my Nats 1/2 primal in HC because of that. They don’t care. D4 is the same company… so it will happen again, they didn’t fix this side, and this time it says they got attacked… so of course it will happen again been happening since the first day I ever paid them. Of course it will happen with D4 why wouldn’t it? My Nats in Hardcore was 18th place all America… do you think they care? They don’t care.