As the Sorceress come back

The Zann Esu clan is coming back for D4, as they allow only females in their clan the male version would be a Vizjerei?
These 2 clans use the same magic and are friendly, at least this is what the novel Firefly suggest when we become aware that Isendra from the Zann Esu & Valthek high councilor of the Vizjerei are good friends.

Now, I’m wondering if there’s going to have some lore about it in D4, or even in a quaterly updates, I mean, we could get a short novel or few hint on that matter.
Despite the fact that the D3 story mode gives a bad look on the Vizjerei, this clan isn’t ‘‘evil’’, Valthek never wanted Isendra to die and this is the clan which locked up profane magic writings in the Yshari Sanctum in order to don’t repeat the mistakes of the past.

After Malthael mass genocide, it would be perfectly possible that some mage clans began to work together more closely without interfering on one each other about their own training discipline.
Since generations, every seven years the Zann Esu offer apprenticeship to girls who are seven years old, on one side and the other the Vizjerei are a strict academy.
I’m just trying to make some sense on the returning class, anyone wanna give a try?

2 Likes

You are correct, if the sorceresses of Zann Esu are back, the male character has to be from another clan.
The Vizjerei are the dominant clan of wizards in the world (from decades ago, namely the situation in D4) and they should be able to learn any magic in the world … but unfortunately the sorceresses of Zann Esu only teach girls. . An exception will have to be made with the male character or with a special background …
the same is true of the Amazons, there is no male counterpart for that class.

1 Like

Well just as you said, the major magi clans (including the Zann Esu Clan and the Vizjerei) started to unify prior to the events of Diablo 3. This was momentarily shown in the Firefly story (just as you said) while Li-Ming was a young child. As such, if we’re to assume that the unification still remains, then that would’ve meant the the unification lasted at least a decade by the time Diablo 3 campaign starts, followed by a number more decade(s) for Diablo 4 starts.

If that’s indeed the case, then it wouldn’t be farfetch for the Yshari Sanctum to establish a system where young children with magical potential would be train in arts of the various magi clans (including the Zann Esu Clan and Vizjerei) regardless of their gender. I mean this had already happened with Li-Ming, who first trained under Isendra (a member of the Zann Esu Clan, whose members were female) and then later Valthek (a high ranking member of the Vizjerei clan, a clan that favored male sorcerors). Of course, this is all under the assumption that the Yshari Sanctum (the magi’s unification) still remains, however I believe it does, especially if the Zann Esu Clan still does.

Last thing to note; the World Stone (which was responsible for limiting humanity’s power and their potential to become Nephalem) was destroyed during the events of Diablo 2, and within the next two decades Humanity’s prowess (both physical and magical) soared. Since Diablo 4 will take place decade(s) after Diablo 3; that would mean that a generation’s worth of time may have passed which would means that more Humans would’ve grown stronger in terms of both physical and magical strength. So yeah, I think it’s safe to say that the Yshari Sanctum would be making an effort to reign these potential mages in and teach them rather than letting them run wild unfathomable consequences.

A male amazon or askari wouldn’t be impossible, and quite honestly would be easier to implement without potentially retconning anything than implementing a male member of the Zann Esu Clan.

About the sorceress, it is more a semantic question, since the Yshari Sanctum is the point of union between the different clans (I think it should continue to be so), it is as simple as giving the male character another background even though his teacher is from the Zann Esu clan, he has to belong to another clan, and it is also time to recover clans of legendary magicians such as Harakas or Sarandesh.

Regarding the Askari culture, it is true that there may be male soldiers, but in any case they will be the lowest ranked, the amazons are an exclusive elite group of women.

No arguements here, I think it’d be fine if the sorceress/sorceror considered themselves affiliated with the Yshari Sanctum, however they also considered their origin point to be either Zann Esu or the Vizjerei (depending on their gender).

Keep in mind that the situation could’ve changed after the actions of Malthael and his reapers, the number of their elite warriors could’ve been greatly reduced, add on also the possibility of their oracle foreseeing a looming disaster, it would be more than plausible for the Askari to start enlisting their men along with their women as elite warriors to prepare for the imminent threat. All in all, as long as Blizzard provides a decent explanation, that doesn’t go against existing lore, then Male amazons wouldn’t be an issue imo.