Argument to including Legacy of Dreams with the final Haedrig reward

Hello everyone,

In this post I just want to discuss my views on two different approaches for starting a season, and why adding a reworked Legacy of Dreams gem to the 3rd Haedrig reward makes sense.

As noted, I feel there are two sorts of progressive players in D3. First, you have players that want to take sets, whatever is the most powerful, and just go for it out of the gate. Next, you have a group of players who prefer the slow grind of gathering different pieces of loot for a more player driven build.

Right now, the first option is the only relevant option if you want to compete out of the gate.

By allowing Legacy of Dreams to drop with Haedrigs gift, and re-balancing as a level 50 max gem rather than level 99, you fully open up the option for players to hit the ground running with Legacy of Dreams.

I see absolutely no negative to these two changes, but wanted to see what the community thought?

Thank you!

2 Likes

LoD having to wait until you’ve gotten your set is…I don’t even. I mean…nope, I can’t even.

Seriously, why would you want to force us to wait until we have a full bloody set to get the ring to start our progression with? Rank 49 max, yes, it needs that to make it not hit a brick wall around GR35-40 if you don’t have a bunch of ancients. But no, it shouldn’t be tied to Haedrig’s Gift. Not when it make a perfect progression tool the moment you can get it from a rift guardian.

You want a more logical addition to Haedrig’s Gift? Ramaladni’s Gift. I didn’t get mine for a full and frustrating 550 paragon levels. Having your first with the HG reward makes more sense given its rarity.

5 Likes

Love it - sure, why not.

:+1:

2 Likes

Actually you should get it for completing chapter one. There’s no reward at the moment for completing chapter one so it would give people a reason to hit level 70 as soon as possible in chapter two as a goal to keep them from getting discouraged.

7 Likes

I can understand wanting LoD to cap at level 50ish to get LoD builds going earlier, but why add it to Haedrig’s Gifts when it’s already so easy to get one?

2 Likes

What is it with this “cap it at 50”-idea?? It makes no sense at all and the gem itself is fine as is.

3 Likes

The idea is solid.
I did notice one thing quickly with LoD though in the early stages. If you have constructed a good combination of gear, at the zero level moving through GR’s to level it up, it was really noticeable if the gear needed reworking or if it was solid.
I am not sure how automatically lowering the level to 50 maximum would affect that ability to determine how good the gear is. Personally, with the way it is now, I can tell really early whether I should avoid imbuing anything I have on that is ancient or not by the way it responds(and wait for better re-roll stats). Each to their own.

1 Like

I think this is a pretty good idea. Or at the least it should replace the bop as the first gem dropped.

1 Like

So then what is your proposal to LoD, because as it stands now, you may not even get it until paragon 200 haha

You can technically get LoD just soon after hitting 70. Just need to run some rifts and GR’s to get the gem to drop. Don’t even need to get to chapter 4.
Unlike set drops, your actually guaranteed to get LoD to drop. It just might take you 20 GRs. Or you could get it on the 2nd GR you do.

Like most legendary gems, it’s RNG as to when you get it, but it’s a guaranteed drop at some point. It’s rare it takes up to paragon 200 to get it. You’d have to be running rifts high enougn to blast past 200 in order to not get it before then.

If it were to go into Haedrig’s Gift, it would need to be the Chapter 2 reward, not Chapter 4. But for the sake of argument, if Blizzard would really like to make it an alternate progression tool from the getgo at LV 70, it should appear in your mail when you ding 70.

Frankly, I don’t mind earing it as a legitimate drop. I just wish its RNG wasn’t weighted the way it is. It probably should replace Bane of the Powerful as the guaranteed first gem drop at this point though, with BotP being the guaranteed gem after that and then RNG taking its course from there.

2 Likes

That’s certainly a thought. I’ll pass the feedback on to the development team.

I will note, however, in the next patch, we are going to increase the drop rate for Legacy of Dreams from Greater Rift Guardians. It’s a little low currently and hopefully that will help with the feeling that this gem is too scarce. We’ll give that a go first and see if we need to re-evaluate after. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Is this to be interpreted as making it drop sooner when you first start collecting the gems? My impression was that if you have all the gems, none drop, so any you don’t have drop randomly.

Its not like a situation where you have gems to collect, run a greater rift and not get one of them each time. A gem will drop each GR till you have them all. So by itself, this seems confusing, unless you mean its weight of when it would drop is increased to occur sooner rather than later when multiple gem drops can occur?

Just wanted to clarify.

2 Likes

Correct. While you’ll get it eventually even with bad RNG by process of elimination, this change should make it more likely to drop sooner rather than later.

Again, not guaranteed; random is still random and bad luck still happens. But it should be better after the update.

11 Likes

Alright, well that’s cool then. Thanks!

1 Like

I think that increasing the drop rate is a great start. We all appreciate that bit of knowledge!

This really made my week! Thanks for the response Nevalistis :slight_smile:

What is the drop rate for BotT? It alwasy seems to be one of the last gem to drop for me. And BotP always seems to be the first. I had no idea gems had different drop rates.

2 Likes

I doubt they will tell us that. I had naturally assumed that for the most part, they all had equal drop rates, but I suppose the best you could hope for an answer is that they either do have different rates, or they don’t. At least for this gem, we know they adjusted it to hopefully fall sooner than later, but that doesn’t mean it will for everyone… RnG is still apparently RnG.

Game on.

Guess I was lucky to get one on second gem

That’s actually by design. Bane of the Powerful should always be the first Legendary Gem you receive, as it’s kind of the “entry level” to Legendary Gems and usable by all classes.

We generally don’t share exact drop rates (nor do I have immediate access to that kind of information; I’m not able to look into details like that in dev tools or anything). If I recall correctly, all Legendary Gems should have roughly the same drop weight with the exception of Bane of the Powerful as noted above. This is a slight assumption and I’d need to confirm it for certain, but I believe we are just upping the availability of Legacy of Dreams because of its more utilitarian nature.

7 Likes