Are Trust Level 3 Requirements Too High?

Also note: Websites that allow you to use an image by loading it directly from your computer, like for a custom Avatar, you’re still uploading the image to their server where it is saved. So, essentially, they’re acting as the image-hosting website. And they usually have restrictions on the image size and resolution.

This is a good thing. Because, if you ever modify, delete or move the image to different folder, or even a new computer, when you log back in to the website your image(s) will still be there. :wink:

3 Likes

Edit: I’m going to give every post above mine an obligatory like. Why? Because compliance.

I think part of this is just Blizzard attempting to formalize the forum “game”. Gated access to stuff, whether we had access to it before or not, is just more BS from this company. Tiered access to forum features gated behind hoops is even more BS. Will this stop the bots/trolls nope. Instead of down vote botting we’ll soon have like sharing, like botting, and like starving, in a psuedo-cohersed commradery (forgive my spelling).

I’m betting something like this forum trust level crap is happening in China. Just look at how that government is using a social credit score system to filter, limit, control, deny and privilege access to what their society has to offer. I’m betting someone at Blizz looked at that system and thought it should be copied. There is even a dystopian Black Mirror episode that looks at the idea of a social credit scoring system.

I personally don’t want to see animated gifs or the like embedded in the forum. Just more data heavy crap that will be abused. Posting a pic.? Nah. Drop a link and keep the forum clean and lean. This will just push more social media behavior into the forum. Not looking forward to the daily like thread that everyone just scrolls through liking every post and the posts have nothing to do with any topic. Blizzard you asked for it. Now you’re going to get what you asked for.

3 Likes

Lol since when?

Sock-puppeting has been going on for as long as I can remember. One account gets banned, and the guy hops onto his next account and picks up where he left off. And nothing happens, despite ban circumventing is a bannable thing as well.

So why would it be any different here? People have started spamming already.

Just hit 2,000 posts read. Only 18,000 more to go over the next month and a half to meet part of the TL3 criteria. :pouting_cat:

7 Likes

Its made to be difficult to prevent people from posting things that would break code of conduct such as nudity, drug references, exc.

The only people who are going to reach that absurd number of posts is people like Meteorblade who actually care about the forums, plus it makes it alot easier to keep track of.

1 Like

Nonsense, the Code of Conduct itself is to prevent those things.

2 Likes

Yes, but blizzard employees need to ENFORCE that code of conduct, there is no possible way that they would be able to search all topics and all posts too make sure people are not breaking the rules, there are far too many people. This way there will be less then 100 people, and they will be checked more then the TL1 (excluding reports).

It takes man hours to moderate forums. If the issue is that people will link to inappropriate content and images, then the easy way is to prevent that from happening at all. That is why the old forum did. No images or outside clickable links for anyone except Blizzard.

This forum allows people to earn that via Trust Levels so as to reduce the chance the Mods even need to take time dealing with it.

If it turns out it is abused and causes a need for increased moderation, it will end up removed.

3 Likes

Please no, just and a new rule where if a TL3 person breaks the rule with a picture or link that they get a perm ban. Its way easier and does not punish any of the rest of the players who are trying to achieve it.

The problem is that almost none of the requirements have anything to do with testing anyone’s character. They’re just participation points.

And I’m an avid forum user, but I doubt I can make or keep the Trust 3 requirements. At the bare minimum once TL3 is earned it shouldn’t be yanked away. I mean, do they want me on their forums or do they want me playing their games?

I like Bungie’s way far better. You can link what you want, but there’s a disclaimer to everyone who clicks a link that leads them outside Bungie’s umbrella… and while I don’t currently play Destiny and thus don’t visit the forums it didn’t seem like there was a huge problem with links during the time I did.

3 Likes

No thanks. Mistakes can be made, first time offense ban is way over the top.

4 Likes

I agree. Once a user earns Trust Level 3, they should be able to keep it. Only take it away if they violate the ToS, CoC and/or the EULA.

Just sayin’…

1 Like

Perma-ban is over kill. All of this Trust Level crap is because of abuse in the forums that do not require a game license. So instead of instituting controls where its really needed they make a blanket move and subject the entirety of the player base to this. We really do not need animated gifs and emojies. I know they are just tiny little pics, but I’m almost guaranteeing that there are rules in this new forum system that limit the number of emojies that can be placed in a single post and attempting to make several posts with a large number of emojies would engage yet another rule. My point on this issue are, because we have these features:
1 - people are going to find ways to abuse it
2 - people will use it in unintended ways, including perverse/inappropriate coded language
3 - there is the potential for unnecessary use becoming the normal making the forum pages heavier than what needs to be
4 - a forum rule set must be established and maintained, part of which will exist in the form of browser scripts which adds even more stuff that has to be maintained and adds to the page load size/complexity (ex: scripts that detect mass like clicks that warn the user of a like limit)
5 - QR codes as animated gifs or pseudo-emojies used for advertising or inappropriate coded language

I know… “if players just use forum as it was intended… blah… blah… blah” the problem is all this new and unnecessary crap is screaming, at a select group of people, attack me, poke me, prod me, abuse me.

Also, there is no way to hide your forum stats or other parts of one’s profile. To much public facing info. in this new system.

4 Likes

I think the intent was for those with TL3 access to be major contributors to the forums, and if that level of contributions stopped, then the access would similarly be removed.

There’s no way I can ever achieve that level, nor am I interested in trying. As you said, I’d rather be playing the game instead of being on the forums all day.

Does it really matter that much? Just post what you feel like posting and ignore the convoluted system. I find it kinda baffling people are actually concerned about some arbitrary rating system like this.

2 Likes

Yeah, I get that. And this is probably not a good analogy: But, if I knew someone long enough that they became my best friend and something changed in their life that required them to move a long distance away, we probably wouldn’t get to spend much time together, although we may occasionally stay in touch. But, I would still consider that person my best friend. And if things changed again so they could come back in the area, I’m sure I could trust them around me as I always had. Just sayin’…

That’s really what it comes down to. I mean, even if Trust Level 0 can’t embed videos and images, or post clickable links, they can still post “unclickable” links. You just have to enclose them in grave accents.

Like this: `https://i.imgur.com/6PIA4Ul.jpg`

Which will produce this: https://i.imgur.com/6PIA4Ul.jpg

So, no big deal. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

The only problem is, you don’t really have to read them. You just need to clickety-click, then scroll. Could even automate it.

I think by design this is a system for MVPs and other CMs whose work is to stay on the forums and read everything. Just do the math, how much time you need daily to meet the requirements - several hours per forum - unless you bot, or scroll while watching videos.

Then I’m not sure that there are enough posts created here, even, to meet the criteria.

Some folks over at the HOTS forums have it. Not a big deal, usually there are some memes posted, with the occasional screenshot. What I really don’t like is how you cannot post links (as free text), needing to use that silly emphasis quote.

2 Likes

The problem with that is, posting a URL “as free text” automatically embeds a video/image or creates a clickable link. Users who are not Trust Level 2 or TL3 need a way to post links.

And it’s easy to do.

1. Type `, paste your URL and then type ` again.
  2. Or, paste your URL. Select it and click the </> button on the Reply Editor toolbar.

It’s not that hard.

Anyone who doesn’t know where the grave accent mark is, it’s here:

3 Likes

Thanks for trying to be helpful. The toolbar button actually works. I always use the quote one! :frowning:

Being a HOTS regular I know that breaking it works - albeit inconvenient for the reader, you can’t just select, right click, open link new tab:

h ttps://i.imgur.com/zW8KYy5.jpg

As for the picture, there is no such key on my keyboard :slight_smile:
It’s Alt-Gr + 7 (Ctrl+Alt+7): test
The wave is Alt-Gr + 1 here, by the way (~).
You can imagine is a programmer, my Alt-Gr key is the most used key with all those parentheses. :smiley:

By free text I really just meant that. A quoted link is more emphasized than simple text. Being clickable is a different animal, and it requires effort by the forum engine.

2 Likes

I think adding a “+” (or other symbol) in front is more user-friendly than a space inside the link:
+https://i.imgur.com/zW8KYy5.jpg

1 Like