Are Trust Level 3 Requirements Too High?

Don’t forget to Cube Leoric’s so you can say “AND THEN I DOUBLED IT.”

On topic, not really worried about trust levels. I don’t see myself really needing to do the things it provides.

3 Likes

On second thought, after looking over the requirements again…

I think Blizzard has confused the words “trust” and “active.”

Most of those requirements are just forum participation. Which is fine, except that participation has nothing to do with how trustworthy someone is. The two words aren’t synonymous, yet Blizzard is treating them as if they are.

Am I more trustworthy than someone else just because I quick-scroll through read more posts? No.

Am I more trustworthy because I toss out more likes? No. In fact, I bet that particular requirement is going to make me toss out more Likes than I otherwise would, just because I almost never use the vote system. What I’ll probably do is take a couple posters I’m familiar with and just randomly spam the like button on some of their posts. Or just scroll down MissC’s posts. Is that what Blizzard wants? Probably not, but that’s what they’re gonna get.

The only 2 requirements that make sense are the flags and the suspensions - but even then, my being suspended for putting someone in their place harsh language has little to do with whether that hyperlink I posted is safe to visit, and it wouldn’t stop an honest mistake on my part, either.

Quite honestly, I’m of the opinion that if Blizzard can’t put their own link/image checker on the forum - or doesn’t want to do it Bungie’s way (a disclaimer when clicking links, etc), then they simply shouldn’t have the ability to do those things as part of the forum.

11 Likes

I agree with you the criteria could be improved, but number of likes are pretty much a very solid indicator of a helpful account. If I were to make TL3, I would raise the required number of likes for last 100 days to 100.

About the safety of hyperlinks - the best way to approach this is having someone approve the domain if it is hyperlinked for first time. Say person P gets TL3 and links to his website W. No one has made a link to W until now. A moderator visits W, sees it is okay and adds it to the allowed list, which then automatically makes the linked post of P to appear in the forum for everyone.

2 Likes

The requirements should be very high. I have zero desire to see some forum warrior’s video memes all over every thread. I can’t stand it in PoE’s forum, and I hope to never see that garbage here. Everyone thinks they are so cute and edgy over there with there corny animojis. It’s annoying.

4 Likes

I agree that trust level requirements should indeed be high but the arbitrary 20,000 post read thing is a bit extreme.

Since D3 is far past its prime (it launched in 2012), the number of posts per day has dropped over time. I don’t think there will even be 20,000 posts TOTAL after 100 days on this new forum! As MissCheetah said, it’s even worse in other regions like EU.

As for the reason I would eventually want trust level 3 is so that I could post direct screenshots into the posts without having to go to some random image upload site like imgur or photobucket (it takes a bit of effort for me to upload through those). I also like to post links to things like theorycrafted builds in d3planner sometimes.

5 Likes

I don’t really think they’re too high. Regular visits to the forum with a post every now and then will get a person there, as long as they don’t come to troll or disrupt the forums.

My one, for lack of a better word, complaint about this system is even though flags are limited, the system can still be abused if a forum clique forms. If one does, they can coordinate their flags to effectively keep a person outside the clique or runs afoul of it from attaining Trust Levels.

The downvote system only hid a person’s post but had no other effect on the person. With this system, it’s possible for a clique to keep someone from utilizing all the forum’s features. That’s an abuse that has real consequences on the victim.

4 Likes

On a related sidenote, I think that some of requirements for level 2 are a bit low:

• liking just a single post?
  • having received just a single like?

These two seem a bit low to me, tbh…

4 Likes

But surely no one would do such a thing to anyone? I mean, I hope not at least. I think as long as one is kind and polite to others this should not happen. But now I worry it might.

I have never used the flag symbol myself, but I think I would use it if someone cursed or was threatening to myself or others. But I feel forums should be used to talk about the game, ask for information/provide information and generally be a resource for people.

3 Likes

I’ve seen it happen on other sites. Like, I’m a baseball fan and my team is the St. Louis Cardinals. A clique formed on there site that would post in the comment sections of the articles on the site.

It was mainly made up of regulars that visited the site for several years, so friendships and such formed. So when a new person visited the site and they happened to say something “the regulars” disagreed with, all of them would flag the post, even if it was harmless and just disagreed with the general sentiment on the boards.

Eventually, the comment sections were removed from the articles because of this.

2 Likes

They wouldn’t even need to. Plenty of people around here with multiple accounts. Stoneold has at least 5, a certain bot-obsessed spammer has at least 3, another all-purpose spammer has at least 7…and so on and so on.

They can log in and out of each account and flag the hell out of anything they don’t like.

2 Likes

True, but Blizzard can see that and will punish abuse of the reporting system. Folks doing it on the WoW boards have even been called out publicly for it.

Reading through one of your more recent threads, it doesn’t feel that you are on firm ground here. You dismissed a player’s opinion because they are Horde, you called a player names in another, and seem to have used multiple alts to like your initial post. If I were to moderate the thread it could easily fall under trolling.

Read the thread, Vrak even uses the words “sock puppeting”.

They can and do suspend folks for that kind of nonsense. Using multiple accounts to flag posts also gets seen. Blizz knows.

2 Likes

I like that, Miss Cheetah.

But all it takes is one or two incidents, something the mods might not even notice, but the victim notices and so they say something, probably in anger that actually does run afoul of CoC and then their post is flagged and possibly and actioned.

Anyway, it is unlikely to happen, but there are some posters like StoneOld, that usually posts something innocuous but regulars don’t like. His posts might be silly sometimes but they don’t usually run afoul of the CoC. Yet, I can still see his posts getting flagged because before they could just hide his posts with enough downvotes. But now, we don’t have that and the only way for folks not to see his posts is to flag and hope he gets banned.

That’s just an example. I’m not saying it should happen or even will, but it could.

2 Likes

What? How does liking posts equal helpful? Helpful is responding to questions and concerns and facilitating discussion.

The Like button does none of that - posts that are Liked aren’t any more visible than posts that aren’t.

3 Likes

Currently, there are ~160 threads/topics and ~1,700 posts.

Assuming that Blizzard does not grant TL3 to a player manually, it will take at least 50 days to get to TL3, based on criteria #1. In that span of time, it is questionable if there will be 20,000 posts given the current rate that is also needed based on criteria #4. I suspect that there will be assuming that the PTR drops that typically increases post counts.

Edit: I was wrong in my speculation. We did get to 20,000 posts on day 44 of the new forum.

7 Likes

Additionally, if they’re actioned, bye bye TL3 forever. And I suspect that an account could be flagged to reduce trust levels permanently even further if necessary, of course by that time they’ve likely been banned anyway so, yeah.

WoW had some intense flag system “downvoting” at the start but it’s tapered off now that the offenders are no longer able to abuse the system.

This is a good time to remind players here that the flagging option is not for when you disagree with a post. That’s what your reply button or your own willpower to simply walk away is for. Flag a post for a nonsensical reason and you pay the price. Repeatedly flag posts and a pattern will show up and boom, you get a ban. And unlike the old fora, the backend on the Discourse software is much easier to use for Blizzard, and as such, more bad things are spotted and dealt with.

Don’t be a bad thing and you’ve got nothing to worry about. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by that. Whether you post a link to your image, enclosed in grave accents (`), or you’re able to embed the images, you still have to upload them to an image-hosting website first. You cannot post them here directly from your computer.

Now, that will be sweet! :smile:

Although, I believe you could do that on the old D3 Forums too. That is, you could post the link, but viewers would have to use the URL to go to that webpage. The only difference in these new D3 Forums is Trust Level 2 users will be able to post clickable links.

Let’s try it out. Here’s my Season 17 Hardcore Demon Hunter, Pirotess, from the Americas Region: https://www.d3planner.com/847561063

2 Likes

Not always of course, but many people will like a post that they find helpful. The best thing would be to have a dedicated button especially for that.

2 Likes

That’s okay. We just need 3 or 4 buddies and we can keep anyone from ever reaching Trust 3.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Disclaimer: The above is wishful thinking sarcastic.

4 Likes

Apparently they are too stupid to realize the only ones who can get that amount of up time on the forums is a bot and people they act like they are trying to block…

I guess we know what they are going for now.

3 Likes

Ah I see, I must have misunderstood then. I see now that it still requires a link from some other image hosting site. I guess this is so that the forum doesn’t become too data heavy (it takes much less space to have a link).

3 Likes