Are monks just generally dying too easily?

It’s not just me, a few others and I noticed that no matter what we can’t really find a balance to having good damage and being able to stay alive. Why are monks so hard to keep alive? I did so many different builds, some lack spirit, some lacks damage, some lacks toughness. What’s going on? It’s like the only 2 builds that works is WoL and zmonk. Everything else just sucks.

Z monk is not a monk build, its just support, with that you’ll never be able to get high in solo play.
But comin on topic, yes, monks are dyin really fast, especially the generator build. But its not really true that all builds suck - its more or less a matter of gettin used to it.
WoL is easiest playable build, esp with innas set you do not have that much requirements (enough cdr its enough to go for 110+ solo easily). But in theory LoN WoL deals more dmg, that’s why high paragon players swap to LoN. This season LoN is clearly better since you get unity (more def than inna) and coe (just more dmg). Without season buff you definitely need LoH with that build, otherwise it just sucks.
Uli monk is playable and if you look carefully through rankings you will find enough uliana playin monks even 125+ solo. The build is pretty special, you need max cdr, a good density and you do not kill elites when they are alone (with WoL its most of the time also a mistake but uliana its just horable). But if you get a good shot (circle of your follower, coe cold phase) you CAN one hit elites on 120+ Defense is okish but since the build is kind of special its not that easy to get defense up and running
Generator monk is just horrable defense wise. Its simply not playable sub 5k para, so do not try. But once getting over the 7k mark its just the strongest build (maybe there will be a change with upcomin patch?). But you need lots of good items, much loh, maxed ias for havin spirit at 100% all time long, a good density, elite affixes that really fit (no fear, ice, …).
LoN Ltk is pretty similar to generator, it also needs good gear and loh and your life bar will play yoyo but its a good build and it felt not that far from WoL but is more elite killing focussed. That is kind of special since you only deal dmg to the first 7 monsters you hit. It should be playable as a nice gen replacement but it lacks dmg wise. Defense options are okish but still not enough.

TlDr: Yes, monk is squishy as heck and its just a missing def boost on every single build for monks but any build has its own survivabiliity option. Just take more loh with you and you’ll see the difference

1 Like

Up until recently i would have agreed, but our current strongest solo build LoN/WoL is tough as hell.

I get up 700m toughness, and wearing Unity. So its more like 1.4b to 1.5b.

Needless to say, anything under gr115 can barely scratch me.

Well, monks aren’t tanky crusaders and they’re not melee damage barbs either. If anything, they’re more in the middle and shine at offering great support/utility. If you’re wearing Sunwuko gear, you generally shouldn’t be dying too much, even in higher tiers well above your own.