@Arcterius RE: CR

I finally have found why I thought Wand of Woh with Chain Reaction hit 9 times instead of 12.

The Diablo 3 website talent calculator describes Explosion Blast - Chain Reaction as:

Instead of a single explosion, release a chain of 3 consecutive explosions, each dealing 520% weapon damage as Fire.

Conversely, the in-game tooltip of EB-CR says: “Gather a mass of energy around you that explodes after 1.5 seconds, dealing a chain of 3 explosions around you for 520% damage as Fire.”

So this would be 3x3 = 9 Explosions, because the initial explosion is replaced. Unless they changed the functionality somewhere and the rune no longer replaces the initial explosion and the website was just never updated.

Frankly, I find this unlikely. It was probably 9, and always has been, 9 explosions when paired with Wand of Woh.

If I recall correctly, I think I came to the conclusion it was more then 9. I watched it and seen it wasn’t what I thought it was, but it also wasn’t what another person thought it to be either.

I thought it was 9, and you thought it was 12. I was positive it was 9, and you were rather snide 3x4 = 12.

I still don’t know which it is, for sure, but this is why I swore up and down it was 9.

You’re looking at the wrong thing. Chain Reaction isn’t the thing that’s 4 in 3*4, Wand of Woh is the thing that’s 4.

Wand of Woh gives 3 additional explosions, not 3 total explosions. That’s the way it’s worded. This is very easy to see with runes other than Chain Reaction, e.g. try it with Flash. It’s easy to count 4 explosions. So Wand of Woh gives 4x explosions. It has always been this way, as far back as 2.0.6 it was worded as “3 additional explosions”, so 4 total.

See the version in this video from 2014/2.0.6 for example: Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls 2.0.6 Wand of Woh Wizard Build Guide - Speedrifts Torment 1 [Softcore] - YouTube

Now consider with Chain Reaction. Wand of Woh gives 4x explosions, so Chain Reaction * Wand of Woh = 3 explosions times 4 = 12 explosions.

I don’t know why you have it in your head that it was 9 (maybe someone tried to count them in real time in the past and for some reason came up with 9 because they missed a few of the quick ones in the middle), but it’s definitely 12 now. And I’m 99% sure it always has been.

I slowed it down and counted them, there’s definitely 12. They group up a bit in the middle so it’s easy to miss a few that come out in rapid batches of 2 or 3 in the middle.

Explosion 1:

Explosions 2+3:

Explosions 4+5+6:

Explosions 7+8:

Explosion 9:

Explosions 10+11:

Explosion 12:

2 Likes

Duh. I see what your saying. Maybe it is 12. It was just stuck in my head it was 9 for several years, and I just never thought it through carefully.

I apologize, Arcterius.

1 Like

all the more important to get Wand of Woh extra blasts triggering Firebird… but I guess our dear deafs devs won’t budge on that.