Another Q about Tal Meteor

Looking at D3 Planner, if I swap a few of my paragon points from Int to Arcane, the damage boost to Star Pact is incredible. Is there a reason people aren’t running that, or does the site just not show it on the leaderboards when you inspect them?

Leaderboard doesn’t show paragon, so you wouldn’t see that.

Generally yes, I’d recommend putting points into max Arcane Power.

You won’t always get the full damage bonus, as it only applies to fully charged Star Pacts. So it won’t always be as big of an increase as d3planner shows.

If you have 100 AP without and 125 with max AP, and cast a Star Pact at 125 AP, you get full value. But if you cast a Star Pact at 100 AP or less, then you don’t get any damage increase. You have to consistently be casting your Star Pacts above 100 AP to get value from max AP in paragon.

But the 250 int is such a small amount, I think it’s basically always worth putting the points in max AP. You’ll get the bonus at least some of the time, and 250 int isn’t worth very much.

4 Likes

I’m currently at paragon 1383 and running GR139. Just looking for ways to increase that while grinding my way up to the point I can swap out Guardian for Aughilds and integrate COE. Mats are scarce for me this season and rerolls of stats hasn’t been kind (darn you, RNG!), so trying to find other areas that can help.

Also, COE - Would SoJ be viable swap? If I have like 20-40% in one element (plus the 10% season bonus from altar), then I wouldn’t need to time my attacks per element, and could get just as good (or close enough), right?

Yesterday I had the brilliant idea (that I use on every other character but somehow forgot here!) to put an Occy on my follower. That alone gave me like 2 GR jump! But I think I’ve used up all my ‘cheap upgrade’ things, so am grasping for straws now. I have played facetank builds since the 90s, so really am having trouble staying far away, which is why I have the setup I do right now… lets me jump into things and back out without destroying my damage too much.

COE is much much better than SOJ on any build.
COE is a 3X damage Multiplier!!! It triples your damage
SOJ adds 20% elemental (which as Additive = 12-13% multiplier)…increase your damage by 12% ish…and you lose either a Crit DMG or Crit Chance

For Aughilds…you can switch now…if you can get a few more pieces augmented

For passive: DONT use “temporal flux”…its useless AND it slows the monsters making it hard to pull them together.
Power Hungry is a 30% multiplier damage, or Astral Presence is less, but helps you with Arcane Power

Here is a Maxroll guide

[type or paste code here](https://maxroll.gg/d3/guides/tal-rasha-meteor-wizard-guide)

I’m doing the temporal flux for the proc to trapped. That way I get the bonus at a distance as well as up close. Once I untrain myself to jump into the middle of the fight and facetank I plan to swap to power hungry, but I just can’t seem to stop running/teleporting into the thick of things…

When I do swap to aughilds I will do the COE then, since 3x is far better than 20%. I’m used to thinking of the COE as a single element timing thing. This build does all 4 elements all the time, so it will benefit from it on a whole lot more hits per second overall than the builds I usually run.

The Smoldering Core effect (Lure lesser enemy) proc Bane of the Trapped already, Taunt/Lure is a CC effect, no need to add Temporal Flux/slow :v:

2 Likes

But doesn’t temp flux also trigger for non-juggernaut elites?

Its not worth a passive skill, esp vs Power Hungry or Audacity (30%) more damage
The cold meteor you proc will slow everything too

1 Like

so while I’m weaning off facetanking, use audacity, and once I finally get used to distance go with Power Hungry. Got it. Thanks!

And I always forget - the screen is 100 yards wide!

Yep! :ok_hand:
If you get 7-8 Ancients with Augments…I would switch, to Aughild

Meteor is insane this season

No, do the other way around. Don’t reward yourself misplaying.

Instead, swap to power hungry and aughilds now. You’ll die if you teleport in, and you’ll learn not to. Negative reinforment learning will get your playstyle fixed in no time. :wink:

Looking at your gear, it is not up to par for your paragon. You need to go back to run speed GRs, 90 seconds. I hope you’re not farming GR139s… Run Tal with in-geom or aether walker, or typhon. Go down to GR90 if you need, you need gear, not XP right now.

Augmented ancients in armour slots are easy to get and extremely valuable early on. So drop any ambitions of pushing into GR130s for now. You need to speed GR90-100 in 90 seconds, back to back, keep opening new rifts, town is lava. Gamble for ancient chest, gloves, helm, belt. Craft ancient aughilds. Augment them.

Dont worry if your rings and amulet aren’t ancient, more important with good stats on those, in particular the orange roll on karini, you want 80% on that one, or at least 79%. Consider cubing karini and equip coe and rorg if you dont find a passable karini.

1 Like

This is important, though Karini is a tough nut in that regard. I primalized one for fun and got EXTREMELY lucky with an instant double crit roll on it. Means I can freely choose which stat to roll the INT to (AD, DMG range or whatever else might be necessary in other builds later on)… seems that one used up my luck for the rest of the season, since I 'm not getting primal drops for some time now, let alone useful ones, be it gambling, crafting or from drops. Kinda frustrating.

Long story short, if you have a normal 80% Karini with at least one crit affix, wear that one. Otherwise, use an ancient RoRG, if it rolled with socket. Then you should roll LpH to CritChance. You need a a high CritChance to make best use of the ApoC gained through the altar this season. That’s what I would do.

1 Like

Took your advice and tried swapping and yep, started noticing difference after a few runs. I was able to do a 140, but am now going back to doing 100s to farm better gear.

1 Like

Wiz is his second character…that explains the gear…

2 Likes

About the Kirini…it is a problem in this build, because you only have 2 damage reduction sources (Kirini, and Aughild [which is only 30%)
-EVERY 1% off an 80% Kirini is ~5% toughness loss
For comparison
5% Toughness is about 500 vitality points gone, or 500 armor points gone

Good Luck! never found an ancient Kirini close to 79%!!

And Kirini rolls like a tofu… :anguished:

Look at this guy with his 10k vit!

5% toughness is only ~300 vit if you have 6k vit.

Yeah I’ve reforged a ton of Karinis over the years and never had a really good ancient one. At least not until this patch when I can primalize them.

1 Like

I cubed/reforged a non-ancient Karini yesterday 48%CD/19%AD/6% CC ( rolled from int )/80% bonus - and very lucky with that. The difference compared to an augmented primal is just 2,5% dmg at my ~33k int.

1 Like

My non ancient is
66-132 dmg
426 int
chc 6%
5336 life/kill
80%

So, decent for now, and might be as good as I get for a while

big grats!
ngl, pretty jelly.

1 Like

OK, got 2 Karini rings that I am torn between- thoughts?

normal 66-132 damage bonus, 6% crit chance, 426 Int, 80% damage reduction
ancient 595 Int (and can augment), 10750 per hit life, 6% crit chance, 79% damage reduction

I mean… how to choose? The LPH is sweet, but the extra 100 (roughly) to base damage…