An option for a "Lite" installation of D2:R is needed

Once again you made the statement of

and I told you how it works you can infact play the game right along side every one else without the new graphics being rendered. Yet you still want to get upset you have a bad comp. If it is so bad it will not run the original game because that is what is run with D2:R and then an additional over lay engine which can be TURNED OFF and you do not need to play with it. At this point you do not want to take the Devs word for how it works and instead take some random players word who you admit could be incorrect.
I think at this point you are just complaining to complain basically because you have a bad comp and want to make it everyone else’s problem. Even to give me veiled insults when I accurately answered you question in the first and second place and you did not and still do not like the answer .

But once again here it is You want to be able to play the game without the overlay engine/New GFX with everyone else on the new Bnet. The overlay engine is NOT required to play on the new Bnet .You can have people in the same game with some playing the game WITHOUT the engine running and some WITH the engine running. The only thing you are missing out on is a shared stash if you chose to NOT run the overlay engine .

They DID NOT RECODE the original game the new overlay engine will have different requirements to run it additionally but again YOU DO NOT NEED IT TO PLAY THE GAME WITH EVERYONE ELSE .

… not much? $25US for one that is in ‘decent’ condition. I’d honestly keep it as a spare part.

This thread makes me feel like some of these individuals are preparing to run Cyberpunk 2077 on their 8 year old machine.

It isn’t as bad as all that, 1 TB mechanical drive is like 70 bucks. Could probably find better.

Computer bogged down with the overlay? Turn the overlay down to low settings.

Computer still bogged down from graphical overlay? Toggle on classic sprite graphics.

Computer still bogged down? Close Chrome.

1 Like

Whether it does or not, it’s not really realistic to be a gamer without a halfway decent dedicated graphics card… especially on a laptop. Intel HD isn’t made for gaming. It’s for movie watching and other basic video functions.

With regard to the shortage… signs are that prices are trending down (yay), but even if it wasn’t, there’s over 20 card choices that fall between the recommended card and the RTX or RTX equivalent series, and it’s not hard to get a custom PC with one of them.

If it were up to me the whole toggle to old graphics concept would be deleted.

If you can get around any potential issues with Bnet locating it and updating it, or “validating” the install on a USB, its a start.

From there if you’re low on VRAM, say 2gigs or less, then the data transfer speed of the USB will be the next issue, assuming you’re not running USB 3.0 etc.

Since the new overlay supposedly dynamically loads as needed, this might be a bottleneck. However, a USB will still have faster response times and be better for your battery life than on a laptop with a mechanical drive. Most people use SSDs, but there are still mechanicals in use on older systems, which I think may be relevant to this discussion.

My personal system is a mix of traditional SSDs, M.2s, and good ol’ spindle and platter for bulk storage.

Yeah it shows my age, “stream” is always associated with WAN or LAN to me and the data transfers between them. Its not a word I use to label the process by which non-sequential data is pointed and loaded from storage. Probably just an old timer thing.

Interesting. I never heard of it referred to that, but then, maybe it was taught in Data Structures, I passed C++ II and then changed my major.