An element of the D4 lighting doesn't look right - and a menu option request

This is regarding the demonstration of layers of colouring and lighting in a scene. The part I’m talking about is at 28:22 in this video:

[ The video has been taken down. It was a Blizzcon panel of Diablo 4 art persons discussing how they make the environments and showing the environment’s assembly in its layers. ]

I find the game looks a lot better without the “gameplay lighting”, which is the monster and player rim lighting and the character light falloff. I’m not against those things in general, but in this implementation it makes the player and monsters much too bright and it works against the environment’s mood and spoils the immersion. The lighting also appears to defy realism.

The player and monster rim lighting most of all makes things look really artificial and cartoonish / goofy after it’s applied. Where would the rim lighting on the backs of the monsters and the player be coming from, anyway? There are no light sources to make that glow seem logical, and my mind felt the appearance was wrong even before I watched the comparison with it on and then off. But as soon as I saw it with it off, I knew that was what was giving the scene a disatisfying feeling.

If that’s going to be in the game, then I request to have an option to turn off the rim lighting. There’s no difficulty in tracking where monsters are with it turned off. I think the scene looks much improved and a lot more like authentic Diablo before the rim lighting is enabled.

3 Likes

The more options for visual adjustment - the better for everyone. I want to turn off flashing when hitting monsters for example.

2 Likes

That’s also a good suggestion. None of the superfluous effects should be in there, and also no monster health bars, no level indicators, no damage numbers, and no (ugh) combo meter.

Only what is actually real to the game’s world should be seen (outside of basic HUD elements). There should be all options to enable that kind of play, and that kind of play should even be the default experience.

2 Likes

Yes. More options means more freedom means more happy players.

This is the biggest issue with combat imo. the flashing light and red outline and multiple hp bars and floating damage numbers ALL break immersion, make the game feel like league of legends or some cheap mobile game… , and none of these things were in d2. they completely break immersion and make the game not seem like diablo at all

2 Likes

Definitely. That stuff is the antithesis of immersion. I couldn’t wrap my head around why Blizzard didn’t provide an option to turn off the combo meter in Diablo 3 after years of people making threads asking for a way to disable it. I’m pretty sure that all that did is make more people dislike the game and possibly resent the company.

The OP video has been taken down. I was looking for an alternate upload of it but didn’t find it. If anyone spots one, post it here, please.

I agree with all of this. Remove or at least give an option to turn it all off.

1 Like

Video got removed. Any mirrors? Curious what was it.

It’s a Blizzcon panel of Diablo 4 art persons discussing how they make the environments and showing the environment’s assembly in its layers.

I haven’t found an alternate upload of it yet.