Altar of Rites needs Staff of Herding for the second time

Hi,

so, there I was doing the seasonal stuff and at one stage the Altar asked for a “Staff of Herding”, since I’d already found some stuff before I went to look for the recipe from Izual, and I think for the mushroom, built the staff, sacrificed it and continued with progressing, after that I hit a wall when I was supposed to sacrifice “Whisper of Atonement Rank 125” so I’ve reborn another seasonal character (DH), leveled it up and today finally got the Whisper, sacrificed it (from now on everything on DH), than the augmented weapon and now it requires me to sacrifice Staff of Herding once again… I think I’ve sacrificed the staff before “4 Set Dungeon Pages”, because I kind of remember not being extra happy about another long harvest for all the missing barbarian armor parts.

Another strange thing was the DH after few rifts, bounties etc (don’t know exactly when) changed experience bar to blue, even though I was well beyond the “Pools of Reflection last for the entire Season and are not removed by death” part of the Altar sacrifice - that one was easily fixable by drinking from the experience pool and now it looks like it might stick - again, I’m not sure if the character died since then, but I’ve finished a few rifts.

Both characters are Solo seasonal.

Each new Seasonal Character you Rebirth or Create must drink from a Pool of Reflection the first time, to activate it.

I don’t know why you might have had to create a second Staff of Herding.

1 Like

Are you sure ?

The Staff of Herding is almost at the very end… there’s only the 1600 Blood Shards after.

4 Likes

Staff of Herding is step 25 of 26 to sacrifice on the Altar. After that is only the step to Sacrifice 1600 Blood Shards.

Honestly, I don’t know if there is a problem by separating the Altar Progress on 2 characters, but didn’t hear anything like that before.

https://maxroll.gg/d3/resources/altar-of-rites-seal-unlocking-guide

1 Like

Only if the 2 heroes are in different modes… for example, one is Seasonal and the other Solo Seasonal. But that’s a different issue.

I think OP is confused… and he sacrificed 1500 Blood Shards the first time… not the Staff.

Cheers !

1 Like

And that’s exactly what I did at lvl 1, later on I’ve lost the buff (maybe not, but the bar color changed to default blue, I didn’t compare the exp gain there), so I did drink again and now it seems permanent again.

Yes. I’ve never actually checked the order of the items, only what items I’d need so I wouldn’t throw them away and I was really surprised when the altar wanted another staff, so I went to check out Icy veins and found out…

Me neither, I went through the forum and found nothing about this issue…

Nope, no confusion, no mistaking it with season 28, or with something else. I did create a Staff of Herding, I did sacrifice it at the altar, it was this season, no later than a fortnight ago (hm, is later ok in this context? or sooner? not my first language…).

I don’t think there’s a proof (unless blizzard logs like crazy) and I don’t expect any remedy, just reporting it. Even though the game is almost 12 years old it still has a few bugs that I can live with (e.g. some mobs keep standing after death and some even melee attack - this one is actually not that frequent lately, or if Broken crown is not bugged then why it doesn’t work on bounty caches? Or opening a cache isn’t counted as a drop? Whenever a gem drops …) but this one costs hours of gameplay…

OK.

:man_shrugging:

I also don’t think that there is proof – Blizzard doesn’t really record what happens in the game… except for some very specific things (crashes for example, or if you flag another player).

Reporting it is the right thing to do, however… I suppose it’s going to be up to the QA Team to figure it out.

Best of luck in your games !

1 Like

Just an update:

After sacrificing the second staff a new one appeared in my chest, I’ve noticed a few days later.

It wasn’t the previous one because:

1. I couldn’t find it my chest even with the filter items option.
  2. It looks different in the sacrifice window if you already have the item (even in your chest).
  3. Not in companion inventory neither, I hired the templar only.