Altar Node 'Pattern' Bugged? (Double Kadala Chances)

Hard to say if this is bugged due to it involving RNG, but it definitely feels broken. Please actually read my post before chiming in with the typical ‘RNG is RNG’ type responses. I’m not complaining about drops, I am just stating what I (and a friend) have observed.

For context, this is how my season has been handled as it may offer some kind of insight to what may be a problem, if there is one:

• I started the season immediately at launch. (NA servers.)
  • I attempted to create a Necro multiple times and kept getting errors. Eventually one was made, but a second hidden one appeared on my account as well. (I did not notice this second character until restarting the client later on.)
  • I leveled Necro to 20, unlocked the first few nodes of the alter (mainly the reduce level requirement node).
  • I created a new Demon Hunter character to switch to as my initial season start main class.
  • I have since leveled, geared, and played DH fully to unlock the entire alter.
  • I fully restarted the client in order to get the wings as they don’t appear until you relog/remake the game etc.

On this character I can absolutely feel the ‘Pattern’ node working to get double the chances of legendaries from Kadala. It is extremely noticeable and definitely working on this character.

However, I have now since made a Wizard and started playing that full time. On this character, it does not feel like the node is working/activated though. I can go full pages of rolls on any item and not get a single legendary, multiple times in a row on the Wizard character, consistently. But, if I switch back to my DH, I can immediately feel the node working again and see the results no problem.

As for my friend, this is how her season has gone:

• She started the season a day later.
  • She created a Wizard, I powerleveled her to 70.
  • She has unlocked majority of the alter (stuck at Staff of Herding for hers now).

On her Wizard, she is also not really seeing any enhanced drops from Kadala and this was her only character at the time. She’s gotten to around Paragon 800, so we’ve played a bit and have heavily used Kadala to test this.

Next, she created a Demon Hunter last night. I powerleveled that to 70 too and we started doing speed clears for blood shards to roll on Kadala. Immediately, she could see a difference between the two classes in regards to drops from Kadala.

Along with this, switching back and forth between DH and Wizard, the rate is so noticeable immediately.

I am not sure if this is bugged for Wizard specifically, but between the two of us, Wizard seems to have an extremely less chance of this node taking effect vs. our Demon Hunters.

2 Likes

I’ve been measuring mine over the last day or so with the node unlocked. Had been rolling rings for an ancient puzzle. 16400 shards spent…buying at least 20 rings at a time. 8.8%….definitely NOT doubled. I’m NOT feeling it and often see full screens of yellow/blue…or get 1. Most I’ve seen was 3 when I spent 30. Very frustrated and disappointed!!

Best to start keeping a tally. After 1,000 items or so, see what the ratio of yellow/blues to Leg/ancients you get.

This kind of thing would be much better suited for Blizzard to look into.

I’m sure Blizzard has analytics and tracking all over the game, per character, to see how things are functioning, such as drop rates for legendaries in all aspects that they can come from. Along with additional metrics like if things rolled ancient or primal to ensure things are not happening more than they should.

Having me, or any other player, manually report numbers is not ideal at all to form any real data. Instead, it just opens the door to bias and misinformation.

1 Like

Yeah. But they don’t.

I am pretty sure they don’t. According to those in-the-know, there are no game logs kept.

Blizzard waits until there is a public outcry before spending any time or effort to look into anything.

Imagine this conversation at Blizzard HQ.

Forum moderator to Dev:
“Hey, someone on the forums thinks they are not getting enough loot”.

Dev:
“Lets pay team to go investigate”!

I don’t think so…

This node is 100% bugged for me. I’ve unlocked the entire altar (got the Wings of Terror), but I am NOT getting double legendaries from Kadala.

The normal legendary chance is 10%. I gambled 1145 boots (28,626 blood shards) and received 117 legendaries. This total, which includes both normal and ancient legendaries, comes out to 10.2%. 1145 rolls is a good sample size to show that the double legendary node is bugged for me.

This is for a demon hunter.

Please fix this, Bliz!!!

1 Like

I seem to have the same issue, gambling a whole inventory usually provide 2-3 legendaries, sometimes none (0 out of 25)

but maybe RNG is not on my side, never won on the lottery :stuck_out_tongue:

I googled this to see if anyone else was asking this question and sure enough.

I’ve unlocked this at the Altar on both softcore and hardcore. I’ve spent 10s of thousands of bloodshards before and after, and I’m fairly certain there is zero change to probability.

We DO NOT get DOUBLE LEGENDARY items.

We get DOUBLE the CHANCE to get a Legendary item when gambling with Kadala.

So, if she normally has a 5% chance of giving us a Legendary item each time we “buy” one, we now have a 10% chance to get one.

That’s still 90% chance of NOT getting one.

Just to provide a counterpoint.

After seeing reports like these early on, I’ve just been informally watching my Kadala gambles.

For me, its seems that the double chance is working, on all characters even. After filling up my bad just once, there’s quite a bit more legendaries than usual, for me at least.

So it seems this is more an issue of luck person to person, not a malfunctioning system.

1 Like

Are you spending on rings? Try buying a few hundred rings and see if you get 20%

I am getting between 5%-10% at most. I get at least 20% on Bracers and some other items, but not on rings.

1. 3/37 = 8%
  2. 5/34 = 15%
  3. 0/37 = 0%
  4. 5/38 = 13%
  5. 3/39 = 8%
  6. 3/38 = 8%

Total 19/223 = 8.52%

1 Like

It’s not just rings. I’ve been gambling boots, and the chance of Kadala giving a legendary is about the same in non-season (where there is no boost), and this seasong. Of course, RNG being RNG, it’s hard to tell whether this is a bug or just bad luck, but after spending thousands of shards, it sure feels like something isn’t working here.

On the other hand, it’s hard to believe there would be separate drop chances for the various categories. And certainly while playing NS, the chance of getting a legendary sure feels the same for all categories.

1 Like

A couple spends on boots:

1. 1/30 = 3%
  2. 5/29 = 17% (One was primal)

1 Like

TBH, I haven’t paid really close attention. When I said “informally” above, I mean 100% non-scientific lol. The last slots that I did any heavy rolling on was pants and belt. Anything before those two I really don’t have a good memory of.

So it could definitely be a slot-based problem.

1 Like

It depends entirely on the item type you’re buying. Some items work correctly. After purchasing THOUSANDS of items I can say that Helms, Pants, and Gloves all give the desired 20%. This does not work for boots (only 12% – 183 after 1500 boots purchased) or chests (only 10% with 61 after 600 chests purchased).

So it really is broken or works depending on what you buy. It would be interesting to buy huge numbers of items in non-season to see if the same patterns emerge or not. Something is wonky with Kadala but it might not just be seasonal purchasing.

1 Like