Aegis of Valor -- A wasted opportunity

Fist of the heavens is more rune than skill

I would have a grand amount of fun with a set like this along with the support legendaries you’ve suggested.

Conspiracy Theory:

Blizzard made the Set so lackluster, so now they don’t have to add stash space.

Want to play Fist of the Heavens? Get a 2.6.7 Darklight. Equip LoD or Akkhan. You’re done.

1 Like

Coming season dun have addition stash space?!

Agreed, the new crus set is a lazy design,
btw love the suggestion, it makes other skills can be used (at least) while using the set and it is more fun.

LOL.

I must admit… I am wondering where I will be storing these new sets.

1 Like

As of right now, Haedrig‘s salvage function is the best way.

Yup akkans is better set to use since it has perm akarats. This looks way to squishy to even play. Hate to say it but looks more squishy than a necro even. even if ya use crimsons set you wont get perm akarats. and you lose the belt kassets. now having to use a rorg and unity. Too squishy for squirts. Cant use aquillas cuz it uses a lot of resource. To bad cuz ive been waiting to use this skill as a main. May work with legacy of dreams though.

Oh I’d like to see some use for Smite. It’s simple but somehow pretty fun skill.

And they intend to have seven addition sets. There is no way the present method of people not using the closet to operate multiple builds but instead expecting the up to 17 slots to store all the favorite season run builds for non-season, then add several builds they play for seasonal, not even counting if they play combinations of both normal and hardcore. Oh yeah they might still want non-season hard core to boot.

The only solution for some is to operate two game licenses under different ID’s, then you can have it your way.

Ultimately you need to throw away massive amounts of builds from the past and hard gained loot instead of keeping everything if you continue to play more seasons, as sets change automatically, but primal/ancient properties don’t change if you want to work with these additional sets in a single ID environment.

The new norm is to throw most stuff away, not horde if you want to play seasonal such as season 19.

First off let me jump on that name for the set. Aegis of Valor is a very good name for a set. Never mind there is absolutely 0 synergy with the theme of the set, the rule of cool must win out . . . sarcasm btw.

Second . . . well there is no THEME to the set. Spam Fist of the Heavens and b k? The topic title nails it, this set as it is appears to be a wasted opportunity. Even if the set itemizes with the Akkhan set, only Fist of the Heavens gains the benefit. Spam of the Heavens.

Next, much like anyone who has ever played current Diablo 3, I am suuuuper curious as to why a new set has stacking DR. You know what would be a shame? Having the only class that naturally wears full armor to get squished like a tomato as soon as they dip a toe into a rift.

I’m not even going to go into a giant set overhaul as the OP pretty much included some good ideas. Name change Aegis of Heaven and incorporate Smite and Heaven’s Fury into this set.

Even with that Imma still test this thing out as I’m excited to see where it actually goes and that the changes are coming so quickly to the game now. Plz keep up the good work :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Let me start by saying that my knowledge of the class is likely quite limited compared to that of some other posters in this thread, so please forgive me if my proposed numbers/mechanics seem off. Just wanted to share my fantasy of a FotH set.

It could be a reference to Imperius, and I can sort of see how that would tie into Fist of the Heavens. That said, considering how simplistic these set bonuses are, that might be giving them too much credit. I guess we’ll have to wait 'till we see the flavor text on the set pieces.

Yep. That’s pretty bass ackwards (yes, that was intentional :wink:).

I’ve been hoping for a set focused around Fist of the Heavens and Heaven’s Fury since the days of the FoH Firestarter build. The two skills share a similar theme after all. I never considered Smite though, but if the name of this new set is indeed a reference to Imperius, then it could be a good fit :slight_smile:

How about something like this?

2-piece
Smite gains the effect of all runes and grants a stack of “Valor” for each enemy it hits for 10 seconds, up to a maximum of 5 stacks. Each stack of Valor reduces the Wrath cost of Fist of the Heavens by 10% and increases the attack speed of Fist of the Heavens by 10%.

FotH will have 50% RCR and attack 50% faster at max stacks. Can reach max stacks in as little as 2 Smites, and each casting refreshes all stacks.

4-piece
Smite/FotH extends the duration of Heaven’s Fury by 1 second each time it hits an enemy. While Heaven’s Fury is active, you take 60% reduced damage and regenerate X% of your maximum health per second.

No stacking mechanic for Damage Reduction! You gain the maximum DR (and some healing now) instantly after using a single skill and can maintain it pretty easily. With just 5 targets, a single smite can nearly double the duration of HF; even more if enemies are grouped close enough together to be hit by the Shatter rune’s AoE.

6-piece
For each stack of Valor active, Fist of the Heavens and Heaven’s Fury deal 2000% increased damage and Smite deals 4000% increased damage. The charged bolts from Fist of the Heavens have a chance to cast another Fist of the Heavens.

You end up with the same 10k% damage bonus as the current proposed version of the set, but it now applies to to Heaven’s Fury as well (which should provide better single-target damage), while Smite gets boosted by 20k% (admittedly borrowed from the OP :sweat_smile: ).

For the 4-piece bonus, I was torn between which skill (FotH or Smite) would be better for maintaining Heaven’s Fury. I even considered having one skill effect the duration and the other effect the cooldown so the players could use either one as they see fit.

Some possibilities for new legendaries:

Hands of the Council (gloves)

Fist of the Heavens deals ***% additional damage, and the initial impact instantly destroys demons with 10% or less of their maximum health remaining. Upon destroying a enemy in this manner, Fist of the Heavens casts Consecration - Aegis Purgatory at the targeted location.

“It is said that the Angiris Council once cast a vote to decide the fate of all humanity. Can you imagine wielding such power merely by raising one’s hand?”

- Deckard Cain

This item would essentially function like Frailty, except only against a certain type of enemy and only with for a certain skill. Now that I think about it, with those restrictions in mind, the kill threshold could actually be set higher (perhaps given a range of 10-20%) and still be considered balanced.

Itherael’s Beacon (ring or amulet)

Fist of the Heavens deals ***% increased damage and restores 0.5% of your maximum health for each enemy it hits while reducing the damage they deal by **%.

“Hope serves as a guiding light, lending strength to the righteous while stripping it from the wicked.”

As for smite, they could add damage modifiers to the the two existing supporting legendaries, Armor of the Kind Regent and The Golden Flence. Here’s one I came up with:

Bane of the Exiled (Crusader shield)

Smite deals ***% increased damage and casts Fist of the Heavens on the first enemy it hits.

“During our time in the Zakarum temple in Kurast, master Valdus had a…unique method for dismissing those who broke the tenants of our order. The permanent bloodstains on his rune-covered shield were proof of this.”

- Valdus’ apprentice

With this shield, one could play this set almost entirely with Smite alone to trigger FotH if desired, making Aquila’s an option. It could even lead to a ranged “semi-generator” build. I’d also like to point out that the name and flavor text are references to the “Exile” runeword, which if memory serves, was a popular choice for Smiter shields back in D2. I realize that the Crusader’s version Smite works very differently than the Paladin’s, but I thought it would be a neat callback to make :grin:

2 Likes

I like the idea of FOH being buffed, but I hate the idea of these sets and it sucks that even the classic team is building sets the same way. A set that buffs one skill and is just a direct damage multiplier is so boring. I’m still mind boggled that they don’t design sets around element type etc. and then add in legendary items to complement those sets. It’s like they can’t balance the skills themselves without having a set that increases the power of a skill by like 10k lmao.

That moment when a random internet guy designs a better set in 15 minutes than professional game designers with fancy words on their resumes

2 Likes

I’m really hoping “Aegis” of Valor indicates one of the set pieces is a Shield.

Also really hoping that another one is a Bracer.

One set I really love from crusader is Seeker of the light, because of the sinergies between skills. Also the belt that makes jugdgement be cast at the landing location of falling sword.

I agree that the 4pc set could be something like: Consecration gains the Aegis rune effect, standing in Consecrated ground reduces dmg by 50-60%.

That or a legendary item that fits into this set composition.

I guess that it will be easy to stack the dmg reduction on crowded areas, with darklight, you just spam foh and it will be self-recasted if there are enemies around, and so on, not so great if you get caught and 1 shotted before engaging a group of monsters.

Let’s wait for the PTR to judge better and form a better opinion tho.

I really hope this gets changed and fixed before PTR even goes up. They can’t have thought this was a good idea with the amount of damage being taken the second you step into a GR.

1 Like

Just cuz :rofl:

But I must agree, that’s about as basic of a set as you can get and I am really not surprised. I’d expect most of the sets to be pretty basic, as LordFluffy would say: 2 pc do something weird, 4 pc damage mitigation, 6pc damage modifier. Copy&paste :zipper_mouth_face: