Aegis of Valor -- A wasted opportunity

Really happy the new Set supports Fist of the Heavens, as this has been requested for ever.

However, I think the ‘design’ is more than poor. Let’s see what we will get:

1. 2-Piece Bonus: The charged bolts from Fist of the Heavens has a chance to cast another Fist of the Heavens

Alright, basically just a modification of an existing power, Darklight. Instead of spamming 2 FotHs, the bolts now proc it. Might be fun and might even be okay as a 2pc bonus. Also, let us know the ‘chance’ please?!

2. 4-Piece Bonus: Hitting with Fist of the Heavens reduces damage taken by 1% for 5 seconds. Stacks up to 50 times

This is where we have been 2014/2015. We all know that mitigation needs to be provided INSTANTLY. Otherwise, you will get one shot in GR80+ (hell, even 70+). This has to be redesigned.

What is worse about this, it is literally just the generic 50% DR without any interesting effect. Or another effect, like boosting another skill maybe or alternate the way we play.

3. *6-Piece Bonus: Increase the damage of Fist of the Heavens by 10,000%

Extremely poor. Literally just a generic damage boost to one single skill. NOTHING changes, except higher numbers.

The new set is Akkhan with a new transmog.

Basically, this set feels worse than Akkhan and it does less than Akkhan wielding a Darklight. (Not talking damage here). It’s literally more FotHs due to procs (which is similar to darklight), 50% clunky DR and one single skill simply deals more damage.
It feels like this set was made within a week, I know time is rare and D3 is in maintenance, but well, this set feels like a wasted opportunity for crusaders. Pretty sure it is the last set being made, and it is far away from interesting or epic. It literally is in the game already (Akkhan).

Suggestions
While I think FotH is the way to go, it shouldn’t be the only skill. What fits FotH themed set? It is Heaven’s Fury (which also lacks a set btw). I’d let them synergize together. Other skills that could work are consecration or generators.

2pc:
Every use of a Generator or Fist of the Heavens reduces the cooldown of Heaven’s Fury, Consecration and Steed Charge by 1 second. Generators generate 10 more Wrath.

4pc:
After casting Heaven’s Fury, you take 60% less damage for 12 seconds. Standing in Consecration increases all healing by 50% and standing in consecration increases Wrath per second by 10.

6pc: (now this is really an effect that changes the way you play)
Fist of the Heavens lets the Rays of Heaven’s Fury crush down on the targeted enemies dealing their remaining damage instantly.
Heaven’s Fury deals 5.000% more damage and Fist of the Heavens deals 10.000% more damage. Your generators deal 20.000% more damage

I know this requires MUCH more work and the 6pc might not even be the best idea to implement, but you get what I’m saying. This is better design imo than the current set, as it changes the way you play. You cast HF and then insta deal its damage with FotH, while standing in consecration and generating wrath with generators.

Additional items could be:

Legendary Crusader Shield (blue wodden Aerin Shield):
Herald of Zakarum
All Rays of Heaven’s Fury can now stack on the same target.

New legendary bracers:
The first 8 enemies hit by FotH take 300% more damage. Dealing damage with Fist of the Heavens will reduce all damage taken by 30%.

New legendary belt
Fury of Zakarum
Your generators (smite) attack 50% faster and deal 200-300% more damage

Something like this. I know it will never happen and the Set will go live as is (except for number changes) but please, not a single NEW legendary for a new set?! Darklight was just buffed, NOTHING else. Not even a new FotH shield!?

33 Likes

Agree, set seems boring and a missed opportunity to include other spells like Smite and Heaven’s Fury.
Especially Smite, since it’s the least used primary ability for Crusader and it fits in thematically with Fist of the Heavens.

7 Likes

Im with OP here, i was super stoked to see a new crusader set but feel very let down with the limited scope of this new set. Sure FotH is a cool skill but I feel like there are other skills that are more fun (I like OPs idea with Heavens Fury and a true pet build for Phalanx).

It isn’t great, but it does open up more Crusaders Builds with One handed weapon and Fervor passive rather than two handed Sader builds. More IAS mean quicker stacks and more FotH on the battle field.

Just signed in to like your suggestion OP! Very nice suggestion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I completely agree the current set design idea is really mediocre, especially the defensive 4pc part.

2 Likes

This was my first thought when seeing the set. The playstyle would be no different to creating a new shield that has the 2pc bonus along with a buff, adding a buff to FotH on Darklight and then we can use FotH with the Akkhan set which allows us to get 100% AC uptime more easily than this new FotH set. This means spamming FotH will be easier too!

A set should add a playstyle/mechanic to the game that no other set can give.

I personally wanted a pet build where you’re controlling a legion of phallanx minions and also attacking from afar with FotH, Blessed Shield or Heaven’s Fury.

3 Likes

Yes, literally no difference. I’d rather use 2pc of Aegis and 6pc Akkhan lol

3 Likes

LOL, I was literally theorycrafting the same thing earlier today. The FotH buffs from legendaries would have to be around the 800% mark though to do anything with Akkhan.

Hopefully this set won’t be the usual 6pc slots so that we can get Aegis6/Akkhan4 going but I suspect 56% CDR will be tough to hit, especially if we can’t fit in Crims. They really should have given the Crusader set some more thought… start with what playstyles Crusader sets encourage:

• Akkhan: spamming a direct damage skill
  • Roland: spamming one of two direct damage skills
  • Seeker: spamming one direct damage skill with the use of a second simply for DR. This at least feels a bit different due to how blessed hammer plays
  • Invokers: leveraging off thorns to apply to a direct damage skill. This at least feels different when gearing it up.

So if anything, Aegis stays consistent with Crusader playstyles in that we just spam one skill and try to keep AC and Iron Skin up… but with 4 sets somewhat promoting the same “spam a direct damage skill” gameplay, it would have been nice to get something a bit different like a pet set.

At least the monk got a 5th playstyle to its line.

2 Likes

And what makes you think a pet crusader is going to be any different? Remember the Ponybuild?

Quite a few Sader pet build ideas here:

Pony wasn’t the only phalanx rune to get used… Archers use to be used with Rolands until they changed it.

1 Like

Yeah but pony build was the competitive so called “pet build”. Which was basically just spamming AC and a spender.

1. Yes, DR have to be instantly, can’t be build up no matter how fast you can stack them. period.
  2. The whole ideal of FotH hasn’t enough support leg. All other build has weapon(s), bracer and shield to further boost the dmg. In the mean time, FotH only have darklight. What should be used as a shield and bracer? Can’t think of a good and meaningful one.
2 Likes

It also has a belt, adds more damage and RCR.

1 Like

Which, if they buff the phalanx items, it could be when using Akkhans… but the other runes deserve some love and a set based on commanding a bunch of phalanx minions like the archers and foot men would be a lot more interesting than what we’re getting here.

I’d do something along the lines of:

2pc: Phalanx gain the Bowmen, Shield Charge, Shield Bearers and Bodyguard runes. Heaven’s Fury and Phalanx avatars are automatically spawned every 5 seconds.

4pc: Your Bowmen and Shield Charge avatars attack where you strike with Fist of the Heavens. Each hit from Avatars reduces the cooldown of your utility, laws and conviction skills and you gain 60% damage reduction for 15 seconds when Heaven’s Fury hits an enemy.

6pc: The charged bolts from Fist of the Heavens has a chance to cast another Fist of the Heavens. Phalanx, Heaven’s Fury and Fist of the Heavens gains a 10,000% damage bonus.

This would stay true to the original Aegis vision but adds additional mechanics that make the gameplay more interesting.

4 Likes

yeah interesting the set doesnt have a shield and only 1 wep. i’m not sure how the numbers are going to add up (played most other crusaders not Foh). Power wise the 2 piece has potential, probably what is going to make it viable.

The entire game is a mess they have to pump out those large numbers
10K is necessity, other wise the 6p would just state “Greatly increases FoH damage”, and then you would be complaining: “Whats the numbers!” like in #1.

I agree completely with you WT.

1 Like

Is it so hard to reply in one of the 20 other existing threads about the same exact thing? Nooooo…special snowflake needs another thread.

1 Like

It’s kinda sad that someone not in the gaming industry can come up with better set for the crusaders. Devs please pay some attention to your fans, they come up with some good stuff.

1 Like