Adjusting Sunwuko build - lacking Zodiac

I FINALLY managed to get the Monkey King’s Garb completed on my seasonal monk… well, mostly. Five pieces, anyway, which is enough to get started! I put together a decent build by mixing elements of the two Sunwuko builds from Icydev, though the ‘speed-farming’ build really needs to be updated to account for the newly-added option of sticking the Sage’s Set on your companion instead of wearing it yourself, but I digress…

Now, trouble is that I’m still missing a key piece of the basic build - the ever-useful Zodiac ring. Without that, I can’t keep Epiphany permanently active, which causes some serious issues with resource-management - which is to say, I keep running out! For the moment, my solution is to replace the Stone Gauntlets in the cube with The Laws of Seph, giving me a vital boost to Spirit every time I use Blinding Flash, which admittedly isn’t as often as I’d like EITHER.

Any other ideas for how I can make the build workable until I manage to get my hands on a Zodiac? I’m also missing the Mantle of Channeling, but that’s less serious, especially since I wouldn’t be able to use it anyway until I get the gloves for the set…

Oh, and a related question concerning the build! Are you supposed to actually use Cyclone Strike, or does the automatic CS activation from Won Khim Lau benefit from the rune you’ve put on it IF AND ONLY IF you have the skill equipped - even with no intent to actually use it?

The free CS from WKL uses whatever rune you have selected, and it casts the un-runed skill if you don’t have it on your skill bar. The usual is the cold rune since it is a free freeze effect to proc Cesar’s Memento.

As far as getting the gloves for the set, you can use the Convert Set item recipe in the cube to convert an item (like your shoulders) into gloves (not a guarantee since it could become ANY other piece within the set).

Probably the best way to get the missing pieces is to gamble shards on pants and use the recipe that I referred to earlier (Skill of Nilfur) to swap duplicate Sunwukpo pants into what you need. There are less legendary pants in the drop pool, so you have a better chance of getting Sunwuko pants (or PoJ or Inna’s, etc) with that method than just gambling for gloves.

I’d recommend focusing on getting the Pattern TR build up and running over Sunwuko though. Pattern is a little weaker than Sunwuko but it is WAY easier to play since the set generates enough spirit to have permanent TR. You also have more freedom in your second weapon slot since Sunwuko needs VW, Balance and WKL in order to have the most power and Patterns only needs Balance and WKL (I use Azurewrath for pushing and VW for speed farming).

I’m well on my way to Patterns of Justice too, but I prioritized Sunwuko for the simple reason that Sunwuko has a Set Dungeon and Patterns don’t. I want that pennant! :stuck_out_tongue:

As for completing Sunwuko, I’m well aware of the ‘Set conversion’ feature, I just have zero luck with it. Anytime I try it, I just wind up burning through a ton of Forgotten Souls to no effect, bouncing my spare piece of armor between all the bits I already have repeatedly. Frankly, I’d rather just keep trying with Kadala and maybe Hope of Cain - replenishing Blood Shards and DB’s is a LOT faster than collecting Forgotten Souls, at least at the point I’m at.

More to the point, while getting the gloves for the set and replacing the shoulders with the Mantle WOULD make it stronger, that’s what you might call a ‘straight’ improvement - makes me a bit tougher and a bit stronger, end of line. Hence, missing it doesn’t really change anything, it just means that I’m a couple of Torment-levels below where I’d otherwise be.

It’s the absence of Zodiac that’s the real problem, since the lack of rapid recharge for Epiphany causes me to frequently run out of Spirit… hence, I’m currently focusing most of my efforts on finally getting that damn ring. :roll_eyes: My question, hence, is how I can best turn my limited Sunwuko set into something workable WHILE I try to get those last pieces…

For the interim, maybe throw together an LoD WoL build. It requires a ranked LoD Gem obviously (doesn’t have to be rank 99, a rank 50 gem is about 5 GR’s less powerful than a rank 99). You may have the pieces lying around and WoL let’s you farm extremely fast and gather mats.

swk wol?
or use the spirit reg rune of flsh, use soul passive? use a generator in the build instead of mantra, get as much rcr as there is. dont use sti passive. so many ways of gettin to the goal

You were clever to think of cubing Laws of Seph. LoD TR wears that to replenish its resource.
Inna TR uses Mystic Ally with the Air Ally rune to gain spirit back. So you could try swapping a skill (probably Cyclone Strike) for Air Ally, just be sure to not spam skills as you’d want to alternate between Blinding Flash & Mystic Ally as ways of boosting spirit.
Also, be sure you’re using the Templar follower with the “Inspire” skill selected as that boosts spirit generation by 10%.

Heh… thanks for your advice, everyone. Of course, what with the way the universe works, the Zodiac dropped for me just as I was starting to experiment with several of the suggestions - replacing Blinding Flash with Air Ally and using the ice-rune on Cyclone Strike to trigger the bracers was looking promising - and shortly afterwards I was able to gamble my way to both the Channeling Mantle and the gloves I was missing from the set. :stuck_out_tongue: Still, though, my build isn’t entirely strict to the Icydev one, since the GR Pushing version feels too slow at the lower torment levels, while the speed-farming version is outdated - so I’m still going to be using some of these insights to refine my own personal version of the TR Sunwuko build. :smile: