About Typhoon set

is there any builds that are good with the typhoon set that are good for high GR groups? also is it possible to make a good rgk build with the typhoon set?

No, no, and no. Wizards got screwed on Typhoon.

2 Likes

Essentially this.

The set had potential but after they nerfed the two Hydra items on PTR without properly adjusting the set it became a stillborn. Unless they do something about the really mediocre damage and unstable toughness you are better off with a LoD Hydra build.

I mean it’s again a set were toughness is essentially tied to stacks like firebird or Archon. Why can’t they do it straightforward… like “As long as you have summoned at least one Hydra, all damage taken is reduced by 75%” or something like that.

I actually know this; people complained the set wasnt interactive enough. They probably had a point.

The whole build/set concept seems to be flawed for higher levels… you place down 2 static hydras and then you need to stop and channel to do damage. This is fine at low levels where the hydras insta-kill everything, this is also fine in mid levels where the frost novas contain the enemies until the hydras kill them but at higher levels it takes a minute, to a few minutes, to kill enemies (not enough damage multipliers) and because the wizard does not have enough damage reduction, you need to run around to avoid getting squashed so you loose all of your channeling bonuses, doing even less damage.

Any build that requires you to stop for a length of time, like this one, should have increased toughness/tanky-ness, while stopped, to make up for the loss in ability to avoid threats and it should also do more damage, when stopped, compared to builds that can do full damage while avoiding threats.

1 Like

Wish they could buff blizzard for this set. You could blackhole double hydra then bliz mobs, would love it. Atm moment this is a Farming and bounty set.

They’d need to add some more items for blizzard to be viable. Just adding it to the 6p bonus wouldn’t be enough.

Maybe update the affix on Winter Flurry to include a big damage bonus to blizzard and add some Blizzard bracers or something.

Probably never get blizzard buffs I think it will just slow down the servers. I love the wizard skills but most of them aren’t usable. They seem to like forcing skills to get buffs, the skills are useless. Seems like silly design, I hope they address this in d4. Poe seems superior in this way that you can actually come up with your own builds through skill gems and supporting skill gems.

1 Like

I don’t think they will do that. Reason being Winter Flurry currently a Frost Nova item, available at level 11. Changing this item to Blizzard would mean they have to change the item’s drop level to at least 27 (Blizard unlocked), but if they also grant runes then it will likely be at the highest rune’s level. I think they want to keep Winter Flurry as an entry level source for leveling purposes.

Also, agreed… adding Blizzard to TV set doesn’t make it viable… not even remotely. Let’s make a short, very rough comparison:

Meteor / Meteor Shower
7x 277% WD = 1939% WD if all Meteors hit but for normal sized mobs that’s rather unrealistic. Let’s say you get 3 Meteors per cast to hit. That would mean you deal 831% WD. You can cast repeatedly Meteor, lets say we mirror Etched Sigil procs and do one cast per second. Assuming every Meteor cast will hit with three small Meteors, that’s reoughly 6648% WD within eight seconds - so why eight seconds? It’s the duration of one Blizzard cast. Then we have to take into account that we can use Nilfur (minimum x7) and Grand Vizier (x5) on top of that… that’s roughly 232000% WD over eight seconds.

Why include those items? Well, sets and common damage buffs like channeling or Squirts can be ignored, because both skills may benefit from them. Blizzard currently has zero item support, so to show the difference we need to include the items that solely buff Meteor.

Now let’s look at Blizzard… we will take the strongest rune (Unrelenting Storm) because that’s the maximum we can do to improve the damage. The result is as meager as you can imagine. Without any support the skill on its own deals an underwhelming 1810% weapon damage over 8 seconds - and that’s it, since nothing really matters. Attack speed doesn’t work for Blizzard and the skill does not stack if you cast it repeatedly…

Meteor Shower with both items deals roughly 128 times the damage of Blizzard. We can stay a little below that because Blizzard is an AoE skill, but essentially you need something in that region to make it viable. If we distribute that kind of buff over two items to make it similar… yeah, you’d need both items to provide at least 1000-1200% to Blizzard. lol… this is how bad Blizzard actually is.

Before we talk about adding Blizzard to Typhoon’s Veil, we need item support for the skill. Adding a trashy skill to an underpowered set won’t do any good. To say it bluntly, we need strong, useful support items. Period.

Here’s what I would do:

Snowclash: [Belt]
Blizzard gains the Snowbound and Unrelenting Storm runes and deals its total damage every second. Your pickup radius increases its area of effect (up to 35 yards).

This is effectively a x8 damage multiplier. Also, you can still choose the element of Blizzard which is good for Tal Rasha or Firebird (subject to change, depending on what they do with those).

Snowflake: [2H staff]
Blizzard deals 600-800% more damage and gains an effect based on its element:
Cold: Critical Hit damage against enemies inside is doubled.
Lightning: Blizzard hits 100% faster
Fire: doubles all area damage dealt inside its area of effect

This will make Blizzard hit like a battering ram. Might be too strong for a single item, but yeah… essentially this is what you need to make it viable.

Atrophy [Wand]
Enemies hit by Blizzard detonate a corresponding Explosive Blast. Explosive Blast and Blizzard deal 500-600% more damage. Your attack speed increases the hit rate.

Okay, this thing is a little bit insane… but who cares - one can dream :smiley:

Something like that, maybe…

Haha, good point. I totally forgot it had a Frost Nova affix, for some reason I had it in my head that the only special thing about it was the cold damage on it. That’s actually telling; the affix on it now is so useless I forgot it existed!

Hahaha… yeah. I so do hope that the balance patch will chance that situation, at least a bit. There are just so many utterly useless items polluting the loot pool today…

Like the blizzard staff and belt idea. Blizzard can you make it happen?

The fact that Mammoth Hydra does not benefit as 2 headed or some compensation… the typhon set is already flawed …

Blizzard should create some benefits for Mammoth Hydra from the set…

Why is there a build that is built around Hydras and one particular skill is excluded…

Too bad, I am just nobody here, blizzard would probably ignore my comments.