About temp bans

Please, for the love of god, disable the temp bans when creating / joining too many games or changing characters too many times.

It’s not protecting against bots. The servers are flooded regardless, and you clearly dont care about it anymore.

It’s only affecting legitimate players that came back to D2 for the remaster hype train, and it’s really destroying the memory and hurting hype for the remaster.

I re-purchased D2 a week ago out of nostalgia, and I’ve already been temp banned twice (the few hours ban) and the login IP ban twice (10 or so minutes). I don’t use any bots, or map hack, or anything third party. I’m just here to have some fun, and this system is preventing it.

Any modern game, you would have a global outrage. The only reason you can get away with it is the fact it’s a classic game without enough players to make noise on social media.

Please remove it. We don’t need it. We don’t want it. Not anymore. Let us play.

Also, if you would be so kind as to undo my current temp ban, I would be grateful :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is completely avoidable, so avoidable that I’ve maybe experienced it 6 times in 4 years, and I play a lot.

Here are some common reasons that people get restricted from Battle.net play. Keep in mind Blizzard will not remove the restrictions for any reason. The restrictions are automatic and are in place to maintain server stability.

Short term restrictions
These restrictions can last up to 72 hours.

Maximum created game limits:

• Creating more than 20 games in a 1 hour period.
  • Creating more than 100 games in a 12 hour period.

Other:

• Creating a game too quickly after leaving the last one. Wait at least 5 seconds before creating a new game.
  • Switching accounts and/or characters too quickly. Wait a few seconds between each screen when switching accounts and characters.

Long term restrictions
These restrictions last two weeks from the last time trying to connect to closed Battle.net with any of the following being true.

• Trying to connect while you have a VPN active. Based on the public IP at the time of trying to connect.
  • Trying to connect while connected through a business-class connection.
    e.g. At work, hotel/motel, coffee shop or any public wifi connection. Based on the Blizzard account the game keys are bound to.

Here is an official list of reasons for Battle.net restrictions from Blizzard:

2 Likes

try to explain it away all you want the temp bans are complete BS and super disrespectful to your playerbase.

its pathetic for this to be OK with you guys.

Forgot to turn off your VPN? 2 week ban haha sucks to be you

Joined at a coffee shop to play rq on your laptop? 2 week ban stupid player lmao owned!

played the game too much too fast? BAM 72 hour ban how dare you play our game.

Oh you can explain your mistake and beg for forgiveness? Too bad loser we aint gonna help u ™

1 Like

No one is explaining away anything. We are saying restrictions are preventable and you’ve been shown how. It’s up to every individual to make these solutions work.

No one is saying it’s ok, We know it’s a problem, we know why the problem exists and TDJ gave solutions to these problems. It’s up to you to use the solutions.

This, we all agree, is a seriously bad business practice, and Blizzard should be ashamed. They should have a warning when purchasing the game or a window that pops up when attempting to log into bnet. No one is disparaging people who don’t know about this and then get hit by it.

To get to a 72 hour ban you’d have to repeat the same restriction trigger over and over and over. If you didn’t figure out what caused a 72 hour ban, that’s on you. What’s that saying? Doing the same thing over and over…

I can make/join then leave games every 15 seconds 40 times in a row, you just need to know what triggers the restriction. It’s the duration of the in game notification that someone has joined or left a game. Also, if your internet doesn’t meet the latency requirement to play the game on bnet, you can expect connection problems that will lead to triggering a restriction.

Reasonable response, It goes back to the OP’s request: would it be better to just do away with the temp bans altogether? or at least make the times more lax…
The bots have no difficulty whatsoever, it only seems to affect legit players.

With the remaster coming up I 100% agree with the OP

1 Like

Bots wait a short duration before making a new game, that’s why they don’t get restricted.

Exactly, the botters work around the problem no sweat, but legit players who dont know about it are affected by it, alot.
Since the temp bans have done basically nothing to stop botting but are seriously hurting legit players I think the time for a temp ban should be reduced to just 1 hour, for all cases.
(enough to deter botters from just spamming games but also fix the insane times people are getting for a first offense)
After multiple offenses the time could go up to like 1 day then 3 days.

This stuff would be super easy for them to implement and stop sooo many people from coming into the forums like wdf?

I know this is pointless and it will never happen but it is what it is.

2 Likes

Bot scripts are programs, our brains also need programming. You’ve been given the script. :grinning:

The restrictions are not there to deter bots, they are there to prevent the behaviour that triggers the restriction. The restrictions protect their 24 year old servers from problems rapid game making/joining/leaving causes. It’s a solution they’ve implemented.

Exactly, the botters work around the problem no sweat, but legit players who dont know about it are affected by it, alot.

That was exactly my point.

Doubt anything will happen though. Blizzard wont invest in old D2 while the remaster is on the way. I just wanted to vent out a little (hence why I didn’t reply to the other’s responses earlier - I didn’t intend to at all).

Also, I highly doubt those practices will apply to the remaster. If they do, there will be global outrage and their name will take a massive blow, again. It will be W3 remaster all over again. Blizzard isn’t that dumb (don’t quote me on that).

The restrictions are not there to deter bots, they are there to prevent the behaviour that triggers the restriction. The restrictions protect their 24 year old servers from problems rapid game making/joining/leaving causes. It’s a solution they’ve implemented.

Legit question, do you really think they still run on those 24 years old server? They must have moved them… right? I mean, keeping 24 years old server running is probably more costly than just moving them over to cheap but modern hardware, I would assume.

2 Likes

They run the servers on new hardware. As to why blizz still uses the ridiculous temp bans… anyones guess. I would assume its either money or laziness.

If the restriction is there to stop players from joining too fast, a 1 hour temp ban would more than suffice. 72 hours is insane

The servers are virtualized on modern hardware. There’s no way they’re still running the old Pentium Pro (1995)/original Xeon(1998) era hardware originally used to host the old Battle.net server platform.

The platform itself has probably been updated over the years to run on later server operating systems as well.

1 Like

No matter what parts you replace or upgrade on a Ford Model T, it will never run as fast or as good as the current Ford Mustang.

It’s speculation that they haven’t upgraded their servers. It’s entirely possible they have.
What isn’t speculation is that the temp bans should be dropped to 1/72 and 1/336 of what they are now.
If someone at Blizzard somehow manages to see this, See reason! I mean really think about it?

How would it hurt to make the temp bans 1 hour?

How would it help?

Ask yourself these questions and you will be convinced i’m right.

1 Like

What does this mean? Based off what about our public IP? I got a new modem, and I cant log in. I dont know what I got banned for. Its not a VPN, but what is considered a VPN if they changed my IP with a different modem its not really a VPN. I can see my public IP now, but I have no clue what my old modem had he just swapped them. Unless I got banned for something else like too many games.

• Trying to connect while you have a VPN active. Based on the public IP at the time of trying to connect.
1 Like

I can’t play online at all while at home. I don’t run a vpn yet when I try to login I immediately get disconnected.

Support is no help in resolving the issue. They just say yep here’s your temp ban, come back in a few weeks. Even when I waited out the ban, when I tried again I got temp banned once more.

I understand wanting to try to limit bots but from what everyone has said, bots are still rampant. These temp bans are only hurting people who want to come play the game again before D2R.

I hadn’t even had D2LoD installed on my computer in over a year since I upgraded and I have no issues playing current games that go through the bnet app (different types of security,vI know).

Fortunately I don’t mind playing single player right now but I would eventually like to play multiplayer but since Blizzard doesn’t seem to want to do anything about D2 since it’s an old game, I don’t see that happening before D2R comes out and it’s frustrating.