A Tip for Diablo 4 Developers

And some even hate the new visuals and want to go back to manual gold pickup and store it in little heaps in the inventory.
The huge majority of the player base isn’t represented in the forum at all. For example I know many people complaining about no enough good items dropping, contrary to what everyone is writing here.

1 Like

While no game is perfect, objective generally means it has to be a provable fact.

Which isn’t something you can do when it comes to subjective design in a video game. You can’t point at a single feature and state it is objectively flawed and prove that.

At best maybe you could prove most people didn’t like it(which takes a bit more than claiming it to be so), but even that doesn’t make it objectively flawed.

As far as I’m concerned people trying to push the “objectively bad” narrative are being anti-opinion too and simply trying to shut down any debate about it.

I’m a software engineer who has worked on games, both video games and tabletop games.

Of course this is the internet so neither of us will know if the other is lying but hey, if we want to pull random claims to authority on the subject out of our backsides I can do it too.

1 Like

Any games with 1 or more dissatisfied customer are objectively flawed, as the game has failed to function. (Of course then no game is perfect.)

No. Not at all. Perfection is not determined by opinions of the masses. For ex. God is perfect for his function but many people think that he doesn’t exist, it’s just a myth, fable, etc. This doesn’t mean that God isn’t perfect. It just means that YOU don’t understand what is perfect and why.

I’ve posted often enough I want free respec, armory, party-only trading and zero effort into pvp balancing from D3 back into D4. Many others also have stated what they want back.

1 Like

“A TIP FOR DIABLO 4 DEVELOPERS”

Please do not listed to some of the people on this forum.

2 Likes

With such an attitude they were some elitist garbage obviously with zero commercial success. Not what Blizz has in mind for D4.

ya but which ones because everyone thinks they are correct and everyone thinks anyone who thinks differently from them is clueless… biggest drawback of any online forum.

They should just stay with the scope:

"Our plan is to take the best parts of previous games and improve upon them while introducing new elements to make Diablo IV unique. We don’t want to create an exact copy of Diablo II or Diablo III."

3 Likes

Yeah, especially if the game is going to be designed around 3-4 month long seasons like most aRPGs are these days then I think the drop rate for good items could stand to be a little bit higher.

At least for the seasons where the idea is that you’re constantly resetting your progress every few months. I could see it being slower on normal play.

I also think if they’re going to go the no trading route(or at least no trading of any good items), we need to have ways of directly targeting very specific items we want. Diablo 3’s systems aren’t really good enough in that they mostly just give you another roll on the slot machine.

Problem is none agrees which are the best parts.

Problem is none agrees which are the best parts.

This is an objective problem. You solve it by doing a careful market research/intelligence. You basically MEASURE what people prefer and run a statistical analysis on your data. That would be an empirical approach.

It’s sad, so many games have just lost their complexity… Mainly because they try to cater to too many audiences. When d2 came out the only people playing pc games were ‘nerds,’ I would know because I was one of them. Most of the people playing starcraft were ‘mathletes,’ now you got the whole encompassing body to include (for better or for worse, I think worse but hey thats just the way it is). Walk in any highschool and 99% of the the guys are playing video games, instead of catering to the DnD type of audience they have to include every walk of life.

1 Like

Interestingly enough, usually in TV shows when they kill someone off in a very dramatic and unsavory fashion, its because that actor pissed someone off high up in the chain… Then you look at how they treated cain, It’s just a reflection of the newer blizzard wanting to signal its their property now, in my opinion. Cains death WAS inevitable but it should have been done with more taste.

Ya, you would think they would do this but instead the plan is to ignore feedback and make Diablo 3 2.0. I did see some things in itemization that looked pretty cool but there still needs to be 0skills, charges, and more than 6 useable skills. And still no charms, jewels and runes look highly questionable. A condition and effect? Will everything just have two sockets? Will any runes be hard to find or will it even matter if some runes are hard to find? It looks very iffy, I see it being any two runes will do and these items may as well not exist. I want runes more like they were in D2 where runes had individual effects and could also be used for crafting and runewords.

It seems like the multiplayer issue from Diablo 3 is being fixed.

Level 99 - it seems that this probably isn’t going to happen unfortunately. Lvl 99 is easily better than paragons or easy 60.

I hope the waypoint map is a simple list again, I don’t want an overcomplicated map where the waypoints show you exactly where they are in the world. That isn’t necessary for me to teleport there and quickly kill something during a run.

I’ve mentioned before that the scale is off in Diablo 3 and 4, the character needs to be smaller in relation to the world like Diablo 1 and 2. The larger character model zooms in the world more so less strategic combat can be done and it doesn’t feel like Diablo. I want the action to be about my decision making, not the action to be centered on my beautiful skill animation as I press one of my buttons.

I think they will have a hard time making a better game than D2 and moving D2 fans to D4. Though the goal doesn’t seem to be to make a game better than D2, I think the goal is to make an enjoyable campaign so anyone that plays it has a good time. Unfortunately the people that want Diablo 2 do not have a good time cause they’re left wanting a game more like Diablo 2.

I posted and created a bunch of what I think are very reasonable suggestions for how to actually make the vast majority of players happy with the game. No one seemed interested.

Maybe because I wasn’t negative enough?

This is like saying, a game can never be improved, only changed (bug fixes aside), isn’t it? Making a change that results in more satisfied users, this is not an objective improvement to the game?

Nice.

OK, but again, half of those are just repeat-omissions from D2->D3 (though there is definitely a benefit to restricted trading. I think the WoW-style economy they are developing could be a happy medium.) And while I am one to appreciate a minimalist approach, I really think PvP in particular, more than anything, offers the greatest opportunity for innovation to the Diablo series.

The first thing they could do is to create a D4 forum. Next create a number of polls asking the players what they would like to see. Similar to what the PureDiablo site has. They could use all of the social media accounts to direct players to the D4 forum to vote, it will all be in one place.

I wish they would give 6 month seasons a try instead. Giving the game time to breathe.

The issue with D3 droprates isnt so much the time it takes to go from 0% to 100%. It is that you go from 0% til 95% in a few days, and then you can have “fun” with the last 5% progression in the next month or two.
Part of that issue is ancient items. Another part is having 500% dmg items, that are not an option for a build, but a requirement.

Getting rid of both, and you could have slower progression through most of the game, without extending the overall progression time substantially.

Lower the droprates of all items, but make more items useful, with smaller power gains between them. I bet that would make progression feel much better than whatever D3 was going for.

And that market research would show people like wildly different things. 30% want A, 40% want B and 30% want C. Are you saying a developer should then always do B?
That would be quite the mistake.
Game development is not a democracy. If you design each game element based on popular opinion, you end up with a complete mess of a game.

That is probably how you ended up with a game like D3.

ya imagine companies trying to make money by making a game accessible to as many people as possible. Almost like they are trying to run a business instead of making a game just for a handful of elitists who want it to be a certain way.

3 Likes

But it wont generally result in all users being more satisfied. It will end up with some being more satisfied, and some less.
And then you can question what satisfaction even means. Is short-term satisfaction really what a game should deliver? Or is the long-term more important?

Like, if you gave players all items in a mailbox at the start of a season (could call it Haedrigs Gift…), then you could probably measure a satisfaction increase right after opening that mail box.
I bet you will measure lower satisfaction in the long run however.

That in the end is a decision the developer of a game needs to make. What are my goals, how do I want players to feel when playing the game.
Maybe you actually want players to feel frustrated, close to giving up, because you believe that will make their satisfaction that much greater, if they succeed. That is certainly a design philosophy that has created the best games ever in my opinion (Dark Souls series). Wouldn’t work for every single game ever of course. Pick a vision, a style of game you want to create, and go for it. One vision is not more or less objectively correct.