A small Tal Rasha idea

In hindsight of the Firebird makeover… how about giving Tal Rasha a redo as well?

Tal Rasha’s Elements
(2) piece bonus:
Your Arcane, Cold, Fire or Lightning attacks each grant a stack of Elemental Fury for 10 12 seconds and hitting an enemy causes a Meteor of the same damage type to fall from the sky. Each element can pull a Meteor once every 6 seconds. This is susceptible to your cooldown reduction effects. Elemental Fury multiplies Meteor damage.
(4) piece bonus:
All damage taken is reduced by 20% per stack of Elemental Fury and while you maintain four stacks, switching between different elemental attacks extends resets the duration by 3 seconds. As long as Elemental Fury is in effect, the remaining cooldown of your defensive or Arcane Power spending skills is immediately canceled when falling below 5 seconds.
(6) piece bonus:
Elemental Fury increases all damage dealt by XXXX% per stack and causes Elemental Exposure to instantly deal XXXXX% weapon damage per element whenever you hit an affected target.

…and an update to this one, because it’s Meteor and useless right now:

Smoldering Core:
Meteor gains the Meteor Shower and Molten Impact rune effects, deals 150-200% more damage and enemies are pulled to the center of the impact area.

It’s a concept, so damage values for the set are place holders. I also deliberately chose not to add several legendary item updates. Smoldering Core is meant as an alternative to Grand Vizier here and I admit, that I’m not too fond of having two staves myself. But I guess they won’t change it to some other skill, so this kind of update might work. Of course they could also revise Primordial Soul and other items along this, but let’s leave it at that.

What do you think about such a set design?

I think it would kind of improve meteor with that staff, but on the whole, it doesn’t help that much by comparison. You’d be required to wear a 2h weapon instead of a weapon + offhand for one thing. It’s likely still stronger, but it probably won’t feel very good. It would make the tal offhand basically useless because of this. They’d have to make “Smoldering Core” either into a 1h or make something else that is a 1h give meteor damage. Another option would be to give tal’s a different piece rather then the offhand.

Smoldering Core would be very interesting if it increased meteor RADIUS; it would proc area damage many times. It could be a viable end-game trash clearer.

That would also be nice, yes. If they don’t touch TR (though I think, they might need to in the end) then that would be the next best option. I would add an extra area damage buff as well, then. Still, the issue remains that it’s a staff. I really fail to understand why they decided we should have two 2H staves for the same skill. Dumb,

Btw. my Smoldering Core suggestion could provide something similar to increased radius, since you’d drop a Molten Impact Meteor Shower with every cast. Obviously not on it’s own, but pair it with my Tal set and about 67% CDR and see what happens.

Hi all, well Lexa the thing is that it still requires the rotation of old.
If that could be changed to work exactly as the elemental exposure then maybe there could be hope for smoother play.
As for the meteor I have no objection on one hand but maybe each element could trigger different spells.
Ex. Cold triggers blizzard, Fire Meteor, of course there is trouble ahead what would be nice to trigger with lightning and arcane.
I like the idea to some how give a multiplier to the auto cast via the element stack.

Now the only “drawback” to my idea would be that it is possible to trigger three elements with one attack, if I am not mistaken ex. magic weapon def gives arcane, the spell itself if non arcane and the weapon. So a possible combo could be
Ex arcane, fire & cold. That would trigger three autocrats at once.

If anything, Meteor needs a shoulder slot item and a one handed weapon. I miss it; Meteor is one of the most fun Wizards skills. It hasn’t been viable since they nuked Etched Sigil from orbit. What a terrible change.

As for a shoulder slot item, something like “Increase the damage of Meteor by 30% and the radius by 10 yards” I think would be perfectly viable. Wizards don’t have a non-set
shoulder slot item!

I agree on the shoulder… as for the 1H weapon, I would rather have them make it so that wizards can equip a 2H staff + source, similar to how DH can use bow+quiver. At a price, of course.

on an unrelated note, how much times does Wand of Woh + Chain Reaction fire? I thought it was 9 explosions, in fact I was sure. Someone informed me it was actually 12. I remembered the CR rune as replacing the initial explosion for three smaller ones. Was that changed?

Not sure if I’d like this or anyone else would, but could make that smoldering thing similar to the necro’s 2h for the nova. Except this would be in a radius around the blast point(s). What would be super fun too, not gonna happen since it sounds OP, like a 20% chance on hitting an enemy to summon another meteor. lol

I think a 2h staff is fine IF they made it worth your while. A staff would have to be able to make up for the damage an offhand brings. Overall, I THINK 2h’s still do more damage, but I can’t say for sure since I haven’t used a 2h in a long time on WD/Wiz.

Well, I actually don’t dislike the idea of a skill rotation as-is. The issue in its current form is that you literally have 1 damage dealer and 2-3 junk skills depending on whether Teleport: Calamity is in the mix or not. That and you have to cast/switch skills frequently to prolong the buff since the duration is capped at 8 seconds. I tried to alleviate that by increasing the max duration to 12 seconds with a gain of 3 seconds per cast. If that’s still too much annoyance I could also settle for “switching between elements resets the duration”, at a maximum of 10 seconds, for example… but thing is, with Elemental Exposure in the mix you actually want to re-apply (keep) the debuff.

Also, keep in mind that you’d have two ways to play that kind of Tal Rasha. First would be a build where you spam random skills (most likely primary) to get the six piece Elemental Exposure proc hitting as frequently as possible, similar to Firebird. You’d need to switch skills anyways to keep Elemental Exposure up. The other way would be more focussed on dealing damage with the Meteors. In that case you’d wear Meteor items instead of speed stuff. You’d stack a lot of CDR to reach 67% either way to unlock the cooldown free Teleport.

Let’s straighten out some misunderstanding. I think that is the case here. What I meant was that the way the elemental boost is gained should work more like elemental exposure. So that we can gain it faster and more easily.
Your idea is good, :slight_smile:
I like your idea about going for a staff source combo aswell.
Like you and Venaliter say a shoulder piece would also be nice .

That in itself would mean to turn the set upside down. Also, keep in mind that Elemental Exposure is essentially a target debuff that requires you to actually hit something to work. Maintaining the set buff on the other hand works by casting skills, not hitting stuff or having something affected by EE. Not saying that’s impossible to do but it would make things a little harder in a way. Hm, after giving it some thought, it might work if we change it to:

(2) piece bonus:
Applying Elemental Exposure instantly drops a Meteor of the same element on the target. This can happen once every second for each element. Elemental Exposure stacks now last 15 seconds and multiply Meteor damage.

something like that? This somehow keeps the current Meteor flavor intact, albeit different. Still, Molten Impact has to be replaced by unruned Meteors for fire in that scenario, or it will be too strong.

This leads to the issue that we don’t get Tal Stacks from this… so the four piece bonus would have to be different now. Let’s say we include mobility in a way that is different from Firebird, does not force you into Aetherwalker and won’t lock you into one element like Calamity does… so in other words, less restrictive. Oh, I just have quite the nasty idea. How’s that:

(4) piece bonus:
Casting an Arcane, Cold, Fire or Lightning skill grants Elemental Fury, reducing all damage taken by XX% for YY seconds. This may stack four times. At four stacks, switching between different elements resets the duration and Wave of Force teleports you to your target before it’s released.

With that we get an Aetherwalker style mobility (at 25 AP cast cost), but the set becomes less restrictive compared to Teleport since WoF has Arcane, Fire and Lightning. They might need to do something about the awkward animation, though. Now, this leaves the (6) piece and I think we can just take it from my initial idea.

(6) piece bonus:
Elemental Fury increases all damage dealt by XXXX% per stack and causes Elemental Exposure to instantly deal XXXXX% weapon damage per element whenever you hit an affected target.

Bam, and there you have it. On a personal note, I would add “Your Defensive and Arcane Power spending skills have their cooldown time reduced by 5 seconds.” somewhere on the set… as for the figures, let me add my suggestions for them:

Tal Rasha’s Elements:
(2) piece bonus:
Applying Elemental Exposure instantly drops a Meteor of the same element on the target. This can happen once every second for each element. Elemental Exposure stacks now last 15 seconds and multiply Meteor damage.
(4) piece bonus:
Casting an Arcane, Cold, Fire or Lightning skill grants Elemental Fury, reducing all damage taken by 20% for 10 seconds. This may stack four times. At four stacks, switching between different elements resets the duration and Wave of Force teleports you to your target before it’s released.
(6) piece bonus:
Elemental Fury increases all damage dealt by 3000% per stack and causes Elemental Exposure to instantly deal 15000% weapon damage per element whenever you hit an affected target. Your Defensive and Arcane Power spending skills have their cooldown time reduced by 5 seconds.

1 Like

Honestly I just dislike the juggling nature of Tal-Rasha in itself. If Tal-Rasha were reworked so that a person wouldn’t need to juggle more than 2 attack spells, I’d be mostly satisfied with that.

1 Like

The (4) piece bonus of my second suggestion does just that. You can say it still needs four different elemental skills, but those don’t need to be attacks. The sole requirement is having skills of all four elements casted once to bring up the defensive buff. Active passives like Familiar, Armor skills or Magic Weapon can be used. Afterwards it’s simply switching between two skills. Furthermore “Wave of Force” replacing Teleport for mobility offers a good amount of flexibility instead of being forced into Arcane thanks to Teleport: Calamity…

Testing out a build in the ptr really makes me wish that the Nilfur’s boots were a part of the Tal-Rasha set.

in what regard? Part of the set as in turned to a set boots piece or have the buff merged into the set?

I admit, I just went on the PTR very quick to take a look at ethereals. Did nothing since then and have not even looked more than five minutes into ptr topics. Couldn’t care less atm…

Pretty much the boots would be added to the overall set, while still keeping the legendary effect, similar to the krelm belt and bracers that still have individual legendary effects while still a part of a set.