A bunch of art from the Diablo 2 character artists

The character artists on Diablo 2 per game credits:

Phil Shenk (Lead), Michio Okamura, Kelly Johnson, Chris Root, Michael Dashow, Bob Steele, Cheeming Boey, Evan Carroll, Eric Sexton, Anthony Rivero, John “The Kid” Kubasco, Kris Renkewitz, Patrick Tougas, Ben Haas

Many of you have no doubt already seen a ton of work by these guys so there is some stuff added from recent twitter feeds or portfolio work. They’re pretty prolific - this is just a sampling from the bolded artists above. Enjoy!

Kelly Johnson

Of the many elements that made the “Diablo” series a success, Kelly’s contributions need to be at the top of the list. It isn’t just the incredibly memorable characters he created which made his models and animations iconic - the Paladin, the Fallen, Deckard Cain, the exasperating midget Fetish - it was the passion and gamers’ sensibility he brought to the overall design which made them classic. Other games may try to steal his ideas - “tanking” Paladins, defensive auras, component monsters - but they’ll never succeed at capturing the style and wit which animated them in every sense of the word.

We were offering two fans the opportunity to get their names into the game. The names that won were “Deckard Cain” and something “Messerschmidt”.

At first we laughed at such a crazy name: Deckard Cain. We weren’t sure if it was made up or not. In any case, the name grew on us, and by happenstance, came at a great time, right after we identified the need for a narrator-type [character] to drive the story along.” -Erich Schaefer

With the storyteller’s name set in stone, all that was missing was the storyteller himself. Kelly Johnson, by that time finished with his work on NFLPA Superstars, eagerly volunteered.

Erich Schaefer said, “We need a guy in town who’s going to be a storyteller.” The only thing I was told was, “He’s a storyteller.” A lot of times we just went off a word. We’d get a word or two that described what Dave, Max, and Erich wanted, and they trusted us to come up with something. And we did.” -Kelly Johnson

Cheeming Boey

Cheeming Boey is a Malaysian artist of Chinese descent. Primarily known only by his last name Boey, he is best recognised by his illustrations on foam coffee cups, his daily webcomic I Am Boey, and his autobiographical graphic novel When I Was A Kid.

His art on styrofoam cups:

Imgur

Imgur

His book:

His awards:

Phil Shenk

Shenk was lead artist working on Amazon and so on.

Amazon per the original crew was described as Nordic with pale skin-tone, i.e.:

He seems to have done all the the class characters in the B&W manual:

Signed hero cards that MrLlama got:

Shenk’s name lives on in Diablo II, given to the monster Shenk the Overseer.

Michio Okamura

“Michio Okamura is a computer game developer and artist. He was the lead artist for the popular computer game Diablo, and senior artist on Diablo II. He designed many of the game’s characters, including the title character. He is currently the art director for Rumble Entertainment.”

“He designed the original Diablo and most of the monsters.”

Anthony Rivero

On Diablo II, Rivero worked on Druid, Mephisto, Giant Mosquito, Death Mauler, Tentacle Beast and so on.

This is where I was originally headed with the Druid. Much more savage and raw. Probably should have stuck with that angle.

Ok, ok, here’s the most ridiculous lycanthropy design ever. I found it! Wings are busted but enough info here to see this was headed to the trash bin. Feast your eyes on this! Druid bird form!

Giant Mosquito

Michael Dashow

Worked on the sorceress and so on.

As was his customary approach, Erich supplied Mike with a few descriptors to get him started. A female magic user, Egyptian in appearance, and wielding mastery of fire, lightning, and cold, the disciplines that would comprise her three skill trees.

This older piece was done for a CGSociety Challenge, the theme for which was "Strange Behavior.

Chef Demetrius Gumbo, master of New Orleans cuisine. Hope you like it spicy!

My final painting for Comicon’15, the theme for which was to fuse two super-heroes. Here them is my mash-up of Hawkeye and Hulk: The Incredible Hulkeye!

Evan Carroll

From 1998-2005 I worked at Blizzard Entertainment (Blizzard North) as a character artist. My responsibilities included concept art, 3d modeling and animation, third party merchandise (action figures and film), and motion and print graphics.

38 Likes

Very cool, but tbh, that old Amazon face looks hit too. Lol

1 Like

If that looks hit to you, the new one must have taken the hit that killed the dinosaurs.

Amazon aside. Art looks as dark and nightmarish as I’d hoped. Good find.

8 Likes

Couldn’t believe they were actually about to do a Druid Bird Form with real flying lol. That would have been something if it was fast enough to compete with teleport.

On the whole, I would really liked to have seen what the original team could have done with the higher res and computing power of today’s hardware.

7 Likes

His art on styrofoam cups

This is really cool.

2 Likes

Yeah he’s amazing - this is his web site:

https://iamboey.com

There’s a cup art menu selection at the top. The cups sell for quite a bit if you’re lucky enough to have an original and he was in an Ad campaign by Sharpie:

4 Likes

Inspirational, and interesting. A small doodle turned into a journey. Thank you for sharing this.

3 Likes

What an awesome thread

3 Likes

It always amazes me how many people put forth their artistic vision and talent in one project.

I never would have guessed that many inputs gave us the atmosphere of Diablo.

4 Likes

That was awesome to see, thanks for sharing all those core inspiration files.

3 Likes

MOARRRR :slight_smile:

Shenk - corrupted rogue in D2:

Rivero - from artstation portfolio:

D2 comic book style wallpaper by Dashow:

3 Likes

Just image the poison clouds after that. :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Nice work. I seen these on their twitter though. They also posted some original CGI model animation, like of the Werewolf or the Tainted.

While those guys were doing Diablo 2, Victor Lee was
apparently doing Throne of Darkness (before joining Blizzard):

Victor Lee, Diablo 4 BlizzCon 2019, from LifeAtBlizzard Twitter feed:

Andariel Reimagined:

2 Likes

I currently work with Eric Sexton, great guy.

2 Likes

Good old times. :smiley:
Still didnt pack quite has much punch as diablo did. :confused:

1 Like

This is really cool ty for posting… what a talented bunch of people :slight_smile:

The breaking bad faces on the cups wow

2 Likes

Samwise Didier - apparently 30’ish years at Blizz and counting. Still METAL.

NBA playoffs w/ AzmoJam:

3 Likes

Also one of the most humble and kind people I have ever met.

1 Like

Keep them coming.

I read in the forum level description that you can create a wiki posts.
Maybe that would be a better suited format for your content posts.

Or am i expecting too much from such a “wiki”?

1 Like