4 man GR 150 in 3m 44s!

GR 150 now at least serves as a goal, an end point. Where I doubt many have reached solo.

For the group players, they can continue to cut down on their clear times. And is the 3m 55s in seasons? We do have a pretty OP season with the eth gear, maybe next season we won’t see a crazy a buff and the clear times will be higher.

1 Like

This just popped up in my youtube feed:

Dec 14 2019.

Why do you want an endpoint, the gr150 was originaly implemented as a never to be reached goal, they just never shifted that because it is apparantly impossible without a big rework. We have been time attacking since s16. Again if you have reached a grift 130 that will still stand, nothing will change for you, yet you want to restrict others.

I mean, if there is no endpoint, they an always go back and nerf everything. That’s probably easier to do than raise cap.

Agree, also some have asked this, but i personaly think people wont like all around nerfs because some (1000s) players have reached the ceiling. So as it is now it is just a theoratical discussion.

There’s an end point. Diablo 3 coded to handle 64-bit, 8-byte unsigned long long integers with a maximum limited edge of 20 digits (exact limit: 18’446’744’073’709’551’615) to handle the numbers. For dealing with next step, they have to push the boundaries towards the 128-bit numbers which is questionable performance wise.

I have read so much threads about people want to raise GR150 cap “because they felt like it” along the years. All the while programmers were unable or restricted with what they got infront of them. Imagination don’t code the game, people do and they’re limited to the recent technology, not your feelings.
The leaderboards doesn’t exactly point to a need or requirement for players’ thirst for content. It just signals that you might be happier playing another game if you’re not contempt or just plain old tired.

Can they still raise tiers and add more by keeping the upper limit of 64-bit cap for 20 digits? Technically yes, but this would disrupt the game balance, because after a few more tiers beyond GR150 scale you may end up with a single Elite group having more cumulative health than Rift Guardian itself which is comical.
For the sake of rewarded progress, ratio of effective health must be kept between different entities to achieve game balance. You kill Rift Guardian, Greater Rift ends; you kill Elites and monsters, you only gain progress. Small enemies such as Fallens or Shadow Vermins indeed have a long way to reach that upper limit of 20 digits health value, but that doesn’t mean they should when they only offers 0.02% progress on the bar when slain.

Also give this a read:
https://answerstoall.com/science/what-is-the-128-bit-integer-limit/

As for a total number crunch; it would take months and months of mathcrafting and work to get the same balance right. When you nerf every number by 90-99%, you will lose most of the digits that would be decimals when you deal with integers. If you decide to go for double values to keep decimals, you changed almost nothing.
When you crunch down player character’s damage down to a fraction, they will lose some damage that would stand as decimals. Which that small deviation could stack and change the outcome of the fight.
Same applies to damage output of monsters and their health at each Greater Rift scale and turning points has to be considered again. The changes on damage that player can incur also requires vitality efficiency of player to be calculated over the level progress again for a balance. Besides, the item affixes and anything that grants the player effective health must be considered as well; logarithmic growth of damage mitigation has to regress too.

Just for a number crunch, developers and designers have to play test for months within’ several different variables that might change the outcome of the game or how trials are played. As power gap between classes and builds get smaller by the changes, it’d be a bit harder to put them on a scale rightfully by considering different traits of them. Each variable has to be nerfed differently and it’s tedious work with no reward. It is only my opinion, but any change after Greater Rifts introduced are just set in stone and it won’t budge further either.

5 Likes

I know of the integers, but dont know the exact details, from what i understand problem comes at the RG who will have too much health, but i might be wrong on the details.
I still dont understand why people want to restict other people, if for example it wouldnt be impossible and a simple flick of the switch. There used to be no end point because 150 was waaaay unreachable, but with all the powercreep not so much.

Again i agree, so this is pretty much a senseless discussion anyway

I think it’s based on the fact that for each GR level increase mobs gain 17% HP. With the current HP of GR150 Guardian mobs, that (1.17)^X multiplier, where X is the number of GR levels you’ve gone up, starts to exceed the upper bound of the data type used to hold the Guardian’s HP value within 10 GR ranks or so.

A better and easier fix would be to just blanket nerf damage and defense by 50%.

1 Like

Blizzard already explained it is not possible to increase the gr cap with current OS and PC as they are.

No, I rather see a decrease in damage and toughness from us.

Could you send us the link/quote where Blizz says this?

If this time was achived in seson, why are you suprised? Eths bring massive power to the game. Now i didn’t saw the guys, but if they are playeing the seson, i have a strong feeling they were equiped whit eth weapons.

As of right now, Its impossible to raise the GR Cap anymore unless some core changes are made. Reason being is that Health in 4man is bumping up against the actual Number limit for a signed 64bit number.

Theres been suggestions in the past where they “could” do something where either monsters get a flat damage reduction against them going higher then 150 or players get a flat damage reduction to monsters.

But unless something is added, they can’t really go higher then 150 GR (i think some bosses “can” get to like 152 before they break the number and cause an underflow.

The solution is obviously more difficulty levels.
/sarcasm

1 Like

There are a " few " people that can clear 150 that fast. And the people who actually asks for an increase in Grift level, most likely haven’t even cleared 150 and never will in this life or the next. Kidding aside, no need to increase, even if it was possible. Buff more builds is the answer. And btw, season theme plays a little part too😂

2 Likes

hmm… … … /sarcasm @ off.

Other than the fact I cannot stand to actually listen to it (just not entertaining to me), and it was a completely different season, this one seems faster…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKTvozwV4iY

oh no worries, by the end of season we will see 2:xx clears

maybe the answer is not to raise the levels, but to change the grift system. Imagine a system that better balanced skill vs paragon…