3 Shared stash tabs is terrible decision

With the negligible amount of space that each character consumes, it would be very easy for Blizzard to allow up to 50, or even 100 characters per account. I know each character file will be a bit larger with the expanded stash, but still… Data centers have gotten just a wee bit larger and faster over the last 21 years.

My local d2s save is currently using 3 kilobytes… Multiply that by 5 million, you get a bit over 14 gigabytes… One 16GB stick of RAM ought to cover the player base of 100,000 with 50 max characters per account. (I know that’s not how it’d work) A single server can have up to around what, 768GB? 2TB even? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

While I know its not hard or expensive for them to have large character limit, I want them to commit to it. I will be annoyed if there is silence on the issue for then in the beta or launch for the number to be low.

There is no reason for it to be low. But there is also No reason for them to not tell us what the number is, unless they think people will be mad at the number for being low for no reason.

5 Likes

3 personal stash tabs per character is actual loony talk i’m so glad we are not getting that…

I’m super happy with 3 shared stash tabs nice qol!

4 Likes

Current Original D2: LoD
88 slots per character(inventory(40) + stash(48)) x 18 characters per account = 1,584 slots total per account.

D2: R(if they keep the current 18 characters per account)
140 slots per character(inventory(40) + stash(100)) x 18 characters per account + 300 slots(3 shared stash tabs) = 2,820 slots total per account(this is almost 2 accounts worth of Original D2: LoD slots)

There are 8 different D2 game modes on Battle.net:
Classic Softcore Non-Ladder
Classic Softcore Ladder
Classic Hardcore Non-Ladder
Classic Hardcore Ladder
Expansion Softcore Non-Ladder
Expansion Softcore Ladder
Expansion Hardcore Non-Ladder
Expansion Hardcore Ladder

When logging onto D2: R, and you get to the character selection screen where it shows the current character, and the act you’re in in the background they should have different tabs for each game mode to make it easier to select your characters for each game mode instead of having characters mixed with different game modes. All four Non-Ladder modes should have infinite characters, but the four Ladder modes should have a set number of characters created(let’s just say 50). Once the Ladder season ends then the characters will automatically go to the Non-Ladder mode with the other infinite characters. If for some reason you need more than 50 characters on Ladder then that is where you would need to create another Battle.net 2.0 account, and buy another D2: R to make more Ladder characters whether they be mains, or mules. I’m pretty sure no one should need more than 50 Ladder characters per game mode, and so no one should need to make another Battle.net 2.0 account, and buy another D2: R.

3 Likes

IN fact, in harcore mode, for example, having 1 per character is the same as having 50 tabs per character. You wont ever use them.

I don’t think the stash system should have changed at all. There is no number of stash tabs that will be good enough for some people, so they settled on an arbitrary number.

How do you know this?

That part of my post was my suggestion, and not a definite answer from VV/Blizz! :slight_smile:

Ah, ok then :smiley: I was hoping you have some inside info :rofl:

I think the current 3 shared stash tabs are a good compromise.

Having 3 stash tabs per character is not so good, because it forces you to log into different characters to access items, which is exactly the kind of hassle that VV (assumingly) wanted to avoid by creating the shared stash.

The question whether 3 stash tabs are sufficient is another topic. And i am assuming that technically it would be possible to increase the stash tabs further if they prove to be not sufficient for the majority of the users. (And with it will also bring the danger of microtransactions…)

1 Like

SOme players wantt to collect all kind of /gems rares/magics/sets/uniques items , because collecting stuff is in their blood , that is why i love Plugy’s infinite personal and Share stash , I have Shared stash for Chipped gems , Shared stash for Flawed Gems ,Shared stash for Normal gems , Shared stash for Flawless Gems ,Shared stash for Perfect Gems ,Shared stash for Armors onnly ,Shared stash for Gloves only ,Shared stash for boots only , ect…
I even have shareed stash for Potions at Plugy’s Single player

So why not have same on Battle.net ?

1 Like

I understand OP’s sentiment, but mostly true in softcore only. There need to be an incentive to utilize the personal tab in hardcore, and limiting shared storage is an appropriate answer from the devs in my opinion.

Concerning muling, yes people do use the chest even in HC. For example the fire resist switch gear, magic find gear, the gamble (minus merchant price) gear, and more. Many players don’t mule them. Personnal stash is in d2 legacy reasonably used as temporary storage. Nobody ever mule 1 single gem at a time. It’s not just a question of convenience, Diablo needs world building to be convincing: the main chest must have a use, and not just look like DHL warehouses.

While the current solution does not fully satisfy some softcore players, it is still an improvement and it makes hardcore gameplay coherent again, in which every tab type has a use. The game needs to be coherent in all modes. I think it hits a coherent spot and I agree with MissCheetah

1 Like

In hardcore, the only use you give to personal stash is:

You go magic find for a while. One of two things happen:

A) items worth getting are dropped. You pick them and move them to personal stash, until personal stash is full.

B) Big value item dropped. The one you can trade for a lot or the one you instantly want to your other character and cant afford to lose.

Anytime A or B happen, you mule your items. That’s it. In practice you dont even need personal space for that, having shared stash. In softcore is the same, but only applies A, not A and B. basically is the same problem.

The new situation is now, in fact, now you will fill your 3 shared tabs. When you do that, then you will mule ALL three tabs to other mules (for example, the sigon mule, the runes mule, the trade mule, the helmets mule, the perfect gems mule, etc).

Then, you go magic find again and refil those 3 tabs.

People think those 3 tabs will be full and its the place for changin items from character to character but this wont ever happen. People are wrong, those threee tabs wont have our items. What will happen is those 3 tabs are temporary muling space, like a fast way to put everything into. More or less the same as the floor before. You before put things on the florr and then mule in and out.

Now you will do that, but without losing items. But we still need like a lot of character slots for this system to work.

But the mechanics will be sadly the same as before. Our real items wont be in those 3 tabs, will be in mules. We dont want that.

Which would be desired, as advertised for us, is not 3, but 30++ shared tabs (even paid). We would love not havin to mule in and out characters. But we will be forced to do it anyway, just like before, according to the way development is going.

path of Exile is perfect in the shared stash thing. They dont even have a personal one, is not needed at all. Take a look at that game, devs, learn something frmo it please. Muling is sooo easy and convenient there.

1 Like

Hell, when anyone proposed charm inventory, he got attacked by other users, since they claimed that “inventory management is a part of the game”.
Isn’t infinite inventory even worse in that matter?

Just stop hoarding.

1 Like

People should stop complaining all the time. 3 tabs is better than nothing. Don’t worry, be happy! D2 had only 1 storage size 8x6.

3 Likes

No, because its not infinite inventory. Its infinite stash, which we had in old d2. We could have infinite space, as long as you wont bring it during the map killing thing.

It doesnt destroy balance, like charm inventory has. Charm inventory makes you have double space and avoid having to make a decission of picking items vs power.

having extra space is only comodity, and we had it before. We will not having it now.

2 Likes

D2 had infinite storage. D2R has not, it has tiny storage.

4 Likes

this is 100% on. The only issue we will have will be the number of characters we can make. If the cap is low, then mules + playing characters will be a problem

4 Likes

Not opposing the shared stash as that is a cool native addition to D2:R, but would like to see the ratio flipped to a 3:1 (personal to shared) which creates a far less need for significant mule characters. While we assume 18 characters per license that is undetermined at this point. We need some color commentary and transparency on this point as the 1:3 current ratio could be an oversight that was misunderstood on their end.

5 Likes

Read Valmar’s post above, personal stash is really redundant now with shares stash. it’s not really needed. Especially HC chars which rarely kept anything in personal stash. It would make the mules more efficient, but I’d rather have 10+ shared stash than extra personal stash.

I’d rather have a character limit than a low stash number.

1 Like