2.6.8 PTR wizard changes - thoughts?

Looks like the datamine is out. Shows Magistrate proc rate down from 4.5s to 1.5s per nova. Radius and duration are the same. This leads me to believe it doesn’t benefit from the rune on skill bar yet, but we’ll see.

There’s also this bit about Mammoth Hydra:

Mammoth will still only have 1 head. Benefit to the full set bonus … we’ll see soon if that’s the case.

EDIT: Looks like we may get an indicator for heads too:

Not in the patch notes: Crusader Hammers can no longer be animation cancelled.

1 Like

So if we can use Mammoth with the set and gain the full bonus is it even worth testing compared to arcane with it’s aoe attack and arcane attunement?

If Mammoth benefits from the full set bonus, we’d absolutely use Mammoth for most use cases.

Group might still use arcane, if Hydra is a meta type group worthy build - that’s a big if. I think Lighning Hydra MH RGK would be more likely, and that also depends on MH working with the new multipliers and / or the new set.

Based on NS testing, arcane is very cumbersome to use for solo push, when you factor in Channeling bonus items. The radius of the attack is also very small.

When executed with 50+ stacks though, these deficiencies can be made up for. The problem is consistency of the attunement bonus. Especially in solo push, after consuming the density, your overall dps drops significantly with this rune. I think the problem is that this rune depends more on having this level of density, whereas the other archon runes can perform well just ~25 PE stacks worth of density.

– at least that’s my experience thus far.

PE being pain enhancer? If so, do you see that outperforming Enforcer, taeguk, trapped or zeis if used?

If you’re talking pure Hydra, and more for pushing or higher GR speeds,

and If you’re at a higher FPA (lower AS BP): Pain Enhancer would be better than Taeguk, Zei’s (assuming placement is for a close up build style).

For consideration of Enforcer and Trapped it really depends on how many and which breakpoints you jump from your PE stacks.

Usually you’d only be at higher FPAs if your build allows TnT (Tasker and theo) or EF (Echoing Fury), not both. So, TnT + PE and EF + PE are good combinations in this case, with the former usually being the preferred choice.

I was hoping we would, it wouldn’t be fun trying to count how many hydra heads are alive while surrounded by enemies and effects.

Do you guys think that the changes to Sparker and Magistrate will allow Wiz to compete with Necro Rat Runs?.. could we see Double or Triple Wiz Hydra speed runs with 1 or 2 supports?

Doubtful, the Hydras won’t follow you around so you would have to double summon at each area. Please WW/Rend Barb is soo strong that it will be hard to replace it in 4p speeds

I don’t see re-casting hydras as a problem. Some mob types kite, teleport and scurry about so repositioning the hydras will be needed at some point. Certain map types demand more frequent repositioning as well.

I’ve been a proponent of having speed runs that are not focused on a singular configuration like Rat Runs. Some folks just don’t want to play Necro (or Barb). With that said we need folks to be flexible enough to allow for alternate configs. However, if the alternate configs are vastly out matched by a singular top config then it will be very difficult to convince folks be flexible and accommodating.

There are 3 main speed runs. Using rat necro, ww Barb or chantodo wizard. The problem with Hydra is you have to stop a lot to cast the next set of Hydras and when you do you lose the previous set so they won’t finish the previous mobs.

2 Likes

I hear you about 3 main speed configs. However, with Necro you at some point have to stop to cast a new Mage or 2. However, I think what you are really are saying is that having effectively 10 mobile StarPact Units (mages aka 10 queens) on the board basically eclipses having 2 buffed stationary Hydras (or 4 with an extra hydra wizard) and makes the entire run less mobile/speedy.

If the above is proven correct once we are on the PTR doesn’t that mean the new set and updated Sparker/Magistrate are inadequate compensation for the loss of the butchering of all Wiz channeling builds and the heavy handed removal of Bazooka?

1 Like

Give over; it’s probably not even close to the efficiency of a Rat run. Hydras take time to stack up damage, plus there is travel time of projectiles, cast time, etc.

You shouldn’t be trying to do Hydra runs at the same clear speed as Rend Barb or Rats. It will probably be better to clear higher level GRs at a slower pace.

Hydra runs might be best at GR125+, depending on how good the damage is. This will also give more time for the zBarb to make pulls for large groups. The problem is enemies gain 17% HP/LVL, while xp goes up 5%/LVL, so it will probably still be less xp efficient than rats.

If Hydra speeds aren’t too much behind Rats in xp, then I won’t care too much. Most people just want to play something different, even if it’s 5-10% less xp/hour.

2 Likes

Probably the biggest qualm I have with the new set is that the build wants 3 items that take up the same slots as the set pieces. This means you have to drop 1, which sucks and will probably be mantle of channeling as the other 2, the magistrate & Tasker and Theo, give larger bonuses.

• I really wish they gave wizards non channeling options so we could have a different play style
  • Give a random staff (like Mark of the Magi) a new legendary power that boosts Hydras. Say something like increases Hydra damage by 500% and Hydras now teleport next to the Wizard when too far away
  • Boost Orb of Infinite Depth to 25% damage per stack

This would give Hydras about the same power as if we had Deathwish, Etched Sigil and Mantle of channeling equiped instead.

1 Like

If the channeling changes requiring 1s make it to live, there is more incentive to run a non channeling build. With such high downtime on Deathwish, you’d either have to run invigorating or lose out on significant uptime. The channeling build solo also has a harder time fitting in arcane Dynamo.

That’s two fairly large reasons to consider non channeled, which can easily fit both and not have to worry.

However, these won’t make it close to competing with DW and ES. They get close to competing with DW alone.

It’s also a choice borne out of mechanical restrictions, which I don’t like as much as, say, better balance multiplier wise.

Seems like Hydra heads disappear even while tanking hits on shielding? This is what I’m experiencing on the PTR right now.

You lose heads even if you have shields. That’s a bummer. More playing needed. Wanted to play a fast T16 build. Where you go in with teleport, then start channeling autocasted Hydra kills the elites. But at least for Season I know that I will play such a build with LOD. And with this items in Cube and slots: WoH, Deathwish, Serpent Sparker, ES, OoID or AetherWalker/Ingeom. Maybe it’s enough for fast T16 clears in Season.

That has to be a bug right? Also, do you lose all Hydra heads or just the extra 2 from the set?

I won’t be home for a few hours to test it

One head for each hit until all are gone. If it stays like this then LoD will probably be the default hydra build. Already now there is a 145 ptr clear with LoD Hydra.

No way no how can we test the new Hydra set like that. That’s ridiculous

LoN build really cleared a 145 w/ Hydra? That sounds fishy