Why werewolf slowly than main form?

Hello! I love diablo 2 and have been looking forward to the remaster very much. I love druids, I really like his transformation into animals.
But I don’t understand one thing. In werewolf form, attack speed should increase by at least 20%, with an increase in level even more. BUT compared to a normal attack in human form, even at the 4th level of the ability, the wolf’s attack speed is lower! It just catches your eye, I measured the hits against the champions and the attack speed in the form of a wolf is really lower! Check it out for yourself, tell me why?

1 Like

I don’t know why but it always has been this way.
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/druid-shapeshifting.shtml

Different characters (and weapon (thrust/chop)) use different animations for their attacks.
These animations are made of different numbers of frames.
The werewolf attack animation has more frames than most (all?) basic druid attack animations.
At higher levels of attack speed bonuses, the Werewolf attack can eventually reach fewer frames than basic Druid attacks.
At lower levels of attack speed bonuses, the Werewolf attack is clearly slower.

Yes, in fact, it is. BUT this should not be, the skill description clearly states that the attack speed should increase. And naturally, it should increase in comparison with the usual form of a druid. It’s just logical and correct that the wolf is faster than the druid’s grandfather.
The fact that it has been working incorrectly for the last 20 years does not change the fact that it has been working incorrectly)

If I remember the older discussions, it’s mostly because at higher skill levels the wolfie hits crazy fast, so they start slower as compensation.

If they adjusted the early skill levels speed, they would need to lower the higher level speeds to compensate. I don’t play a wolfie, so I’m indifferent to it, but I can see why people would prefer a faster initial speed.

YES! This here!! It needs to be fixed/addressed. Either fix the frames to be actually 20% faster and more as points are put in as intended, OR rework the talent. Literally not benefitting from half the reason to even be a werewolf (the added attack speed and life)

would agree with this post, also playing as Druid and instantly noticed the slower attack speed when using werewolf form. i didnt take much notice to it at the beginning as i though maybe it was just frames, but then when i changed weapons, so did the frames. when you watch the health of creatures, the damage matches the frames rather than having multiple hits put in between frames. now level 8 in wereform and the attack speed only now just matches which is ridiculous.

1 Like

Do yourself a favour. Find/buy a two-stocked Axe and make it into Steel runeword.

Base on this Attack speed calculator
https://d2.lc/IAS/
Under using Steel battle axe condition. (Note: Steel has 25% IAS)

They have the same attack frame at level 1 (15 frames)
Werewolf has a higher attack speed starting at level 2
Furthermore, even at level 1 werewolf, Feral Rage has a higher attack speed. (12 frames)

If I recall correctly off weapon IAS only increases the speed of your non-wolf attack, and then this non-wolf attack speed is used in calculating your wolf attack speed. So off weapon IAS isn’t useless like with whirlwind, but is less useful.

I forget exactly how it worked though.

Used this through Act V. Pretty good until lack of mana leech meant using fury on a lochabar axe with 4% mana leach, 38% ED, and 114 attack rating was a bit better. Doing 28 minimum damage against Baal sucks though, took an hour to kill him, but mana to raise my bear was essential.

The good thing is that mauls, polearms, and giant axes are fast for the druid, so you can get heavy damage at a decent speed. The downside is that, if you don’t get a good maul drop, you end up having to sink a lot of points into dex to use your weapons

I think this speed on polearms is what saves the druid from being outclassed by the paladin, that and the summon tanks. Any Kris, belt, and diamond of any quality in the cube gets you a savage polearm of a random type, up through exceptional, so you can land a bill to use at level 27 with 95 strength that will be pretty powerful compared to steel, and then you can make Insight later.

Werewolves can also use crossbows and bows as melee in attack form. Edge is a super cheap runeword with massive damage for demons (380% ED) and 280+% for undead, so 2/3rds of enemies get nuked, plus +35% speed, plus a level 12 thorns aura, plus -15% vendor prices, all for an amn rune. Throw it in a siege crossbow and you have a very fast weapon doing 145 base damage vs demons at level 27 with all the fury bonuses on top.

3 Likes