Why not remaster Diablo 1?

It’s great that we do see a remaster of Diablo 2 but why not Diablo 1?

I would love to see that game getting the remake treatment

• have new places to explore
  • bringing back the cut content
  • have new classes to play like the necromancer

Not to mention players will have the privilege to see how the Diablo Saga first began

If there’s any game that deserves the remake treatment it’s Diablo 1

1 Like

It is a very slow game to play. I do not see it being done for that reason alone.

Given that the Diablo 2 remaster has already been released and enjoyed some commercial success, it may be time to consider a remake of Diablo 1. The strong backlash from players who noticed the dated aspects of the game’s design in the remastered version of Diablo 2 may indicate that there is a demand for a more modern and updated version of Diablo 1.

A remake of Diablo 1 would offer players new places to explore and bring back cut content. Additionally, adding new classes like the necromancer would provide players with fresh and exciting gameplay options.

A remake of Diablo 1 would also give players the privilege of seeing how the Diablo saga began, offering a new level of appreciation for the franchise’s history. It would be an opportunity to introduce new players to the original game and attract them to the series.

While it is true that a remake of Diablo 1 may not be as commercially viable as a remastered version of Diablo 2, it could still be a profitable venture for the developers. Many players who enjoyed the Diablo 2 remaster may be looking for a new challenge and a chance to experience the series’ roots. A remake of Diablo 1 could offer them exactly that.

In conclusion, while the Diablo 2 remaster has already been released and enjoyed some degree of commercial success, there may be a demand for a remake of Diablo 1. This would provide players with fresh content, new gameplay options, and a chance to experience the roots of the franchise, making it a worthwhile venture for the developers.

2 Likes

if they were going to remake d1 they would have to be reverse engineered to understand how the game works and using a new engine to not have bugs like diablo ii resurected so it would work. I thought it was really bad that the resurrected run under the old d2, that’s why it has so many bugs.

I am sure this is something they talk about as a possibility, if not already in development, would not surprise me.

Considering they have the D2R team under their wing that only focuses on bringing old things back, it only makes sense for D1 remake on the same style.

The problem with remaking D1 from nothing is that you will lose the nuances in the timing, hence D2R method is more faithful.

There is still audience for slow RPG games, even if they don’t believe it. The nostalgia with Diablo 1 is absolutely massive, it would not fail if you put a name on the brick.

1 Like

I am still playing Diablo 1 at gog. I wish they remake Diablo 1. We are missing the slow flow of a game. I want to duel 1v1 with the different enemy (skeletons, ghouls, zombies and e.t.c.), not taking down aoe 15 mobs. To feel the dark atmosphere. To slow progress and enjoy the game. I want to be hunted by butcher or king Leoric and finally when i take them down to feel the reward! When i kill 18 mobs at once there is no reward. If Butcher was 5 hits, nowdays would be the butcher we all know and love?

1 Like

I still play my PlayStation one version of d1, there’s no need to have retarded blizzard take another one of their great classic games and butcher it into a garbage money making fraud like d2r and d4.

I’m currently compiling DevilutionX on an old Raspberry Pi 3 Model B using debian to get Diablo 1 running under Linux on a credit-card sized ARM system. Just for fun. I know they also built it for old Amigas and even the Nintendo 3DS. It’s one of those games like quake that people are determined to get running on everything.

Update: aaand it worked. Runs flawlessly in that credit-card sized computer that cost me 40 bucks.

1 Like