Why is only Windows 10 supported?

I was gifted D2R to play it with my family, only to find out it’s literally JUST supported on Windows 10 if you’re on PC. You’re telling me I can play a game originally released in the year 2000 on my Switch but not the PC I’ve been gaming on for over a decade? A PC that runs the original D2 as well as the first game in the series without issue?
I waited for a long time because I figured, since I first got it just after it launched, that they’d patch it eventually to be compatible with older versions of Windows. Hell, I even downloaded Immortal and ran it on my computer. After playing Immortal for a little bit I wanted to finally play Resurrected, assuming the problem would be solved by now. Right?
Wrong. It’s not even a matter of my system being out of date, as again Immortal runs on it despite technically still being in beta, AND from what I’ve seen D2R can’t even run on Windows 11 yet. Literally just on 10. I would really like either a technical explanation for why it can’t run on Windows 8.1, or the reasoning behind not making them compatible. It’s not as if D2R was dropped and abandoned, there’s an active team creating patches for it as we speak.
It seems that if I don’t want to install bloatware disguised as an operating system literally to just play one game, I’ll have to do something more creative like running Battle.net through Linux on a virtual machine.

1 Like

It does work on Win 11, it works on Win 10 it can have issues with both as windows is a complex OS and updates are frequent and some break games. As far as why it is not supported, I mean hell if I know. That is more a dev question. Could be a good reason, or perhaps they are lazy. I hated 8.1 though, just eww. I got it to boot on a Windows 7 PC. It was not easy or stable. So you may have luck if you tinker around.

It’s unfortunate, but 8.1 is going to be EOL soon, so you’re going to need to move forward if staying on Windows.

If you are looking at Linux, I can confirm that D2R runs fine. The easiest way is installing Battle.net via Lutris.

i think i was on an amd k6-2 @450mhz back when i played original d2 “without issues” :wink:
the vidya card didnt even need a fan on it.

time flies lol

this is cus of microsofts EOL with windows 8.1 and down they are no longer supported by microsoft, there for no one should be supporting any windows that is past its service life

and D2:R is a new game even tho its a remaster its still a new engine ECT, it also needs a modern CPU as well intel icore sec gen or newer as older chips lack the instruction sets needed too run modern software

now im sure windows 11 works but again this is how it work’s, D2 will still play on windows 98/XP and i did play it back in 2012 on my windows 98 PC with a 750mhz pentium 3 and a ATI rage fury 128bit pro card (that’s cus my newer pc at the time had failed and this waz the best game i cud play on that ancient pc lol) but again thats a really old game made in win 98 days and even needed a major overhaul just too work on some newer systems in the day.

but again D2R isnt D2 so it cant work with O/S’s that are past its services life, it can but no ones gonna make a game work with XP or win 7 the EOL been in place for win 7 for 5 years and XP for like 11.

i know its kinda stupid for some people but that’s how software works

ah yes, ye 'ole expectations vs reality. people these days…

Not sure what machine you have Windows 11 running on but I have several machines on both Windows 10 and 11 and D2R runs just fine on all of them. Perhaps you should try it instead of going off of “what you’ve seen” yourself before bemoaning lack of support…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.