Why do PS4 players have to Pay a Monthly Subscription to Play D2R Online?

Why do PS4 players have to Pay a Monthly Subscription to Play D2R Online?

While PC players obviously dosent have to.

It’s not like the PS4 has any premium service regarding stable / open servers or anything.
ANd what’s worse…now i have to sit in a ridiculous queue system and STILL Have to pay a monthly subscription for a game that barely works Online.

46 $ for the game…and 60 $ / year to play my characters online.

Is this a joke?

*ps/ i love my new “Invisible” Act 2 mercenary, all i can see is his spear. *
10/10 would hire again.

1 Like

eh? Are you referring to the playstation plus membership? If so, you get alot of benefits for playstation plus (aka Im a ps5 owner and i get a ton of “free” games with plus).

Also, if you are talking about playstation plus, buy your yearly membership around black friday and its only $36-$48 for the year

1 Like

It’s a PlayStation thing, not a blizzard thing.

There is a long list of things to legitimately be upset about regarding d2r. This isn’t one of them.

4 Likes

Because PC players connect directly to battle.net and PS and XBox and Switch players have to go through those servers first before they can connect to the internet. Of course, not everything online on PS requires Plus to play online, so I am not sure why D2R does.

1 Like

Only free-to-play games don’t require PS+, D2R is not one of them so it does.

You do not go through Sony’s servers when playing D2R, the data goes straigth to blizzard servers. And you do not go through any other server when connecting to the internet.

What psn plus does is keep track of everyones profile, partys, voice chat, cloud storage etc. But the actual communication with game servers do not touch Sonys servers (which would be an extremly bad idea if they did).

Oh, another PC transfer…

I mean you could pay the $2500+ for a pc then play freely :man_shrugging: or you can keep playing on a $500 console, pay the $60 to Sony to play online and call it even after a period of years. Simple answer.

Is there a group of people getting paid to be upset about this game?

It’s getting almost laughable at how much reaching is going on.

To answer your question…

You pay for online services to have people handle customer complaints. They also regulate the behavior online to maintain a standard of fairness, free of offensive messages, images, and fraudulent actions.

It also covers the cost for servers which facilitate online play. It covers the cost to perform maintenance and improvements of those servers. They also use that money to handle communications accross the network.

As if that were not enough, you also get free games which when you add up their price at launch is often well over $1000. This October it is litterallly advertised that the value of the free games is $104.98!

So that is what you pay for.

2 Likes

Regardless of all that, the game has to connect to PSN first, in order to connect to battle.net. If PSN is down, you are not playing online.

2 Likes

That is correct Shadowhaven.

Anyways yeah paying for PSN sucks… I use to be able to get it free all the time for years, til just recently I haven’t been able to no more. They don’t even charge PSN + for Japan region, so racist… So you literally can make a japanese account and play free that way, plus have access to other content you dont usually see. However, for certain games such as D2R I imagine, this puts you in a different region online than you may want to be in. Some games it isn’t an issue though.

That’s a Sony issue, not Blizzard. I mean I’m on Xbox and have been paying to play games online with Xbox Live/Gamepass since the 360 so join the club lol.

Consols doesen’t cost nearly 500$ you misscalculated something.

1 Like

Just get a x box and move on no monthly cost

Orrrr you could take that 500 and buy a steam deck, and have a system roughly as powerful as a ps4, with the portability of a Nintendo switch, all while dodging the online membership charges like a PC. :wink:

Why isnt it a free to play? Its free to play on pc…

I wish they would release physical copy’s of the game with true single player without forced DRM authentication checks or Internet requirements at all this live service game crap is a fraud

Cause it doesn’t have a cash shop? PC is itrelevent… yall pay for nice shiney towers + accessories.

1 Like

Thank you :beers:
20 characters

It’s the same for nintendo and xbox. If you want to play online you have to pay a fee.

Though Xbox recently made “free to play” games all free to play and no longer require Xbox live so it would be nice if they also made games that are supposed to be free to play online (like D2 since it is a PC game first)