What player count in game actually does to drops

No Drop: is a % chance for a monster or clickable to NOT drop an item from their loot table. The chance for this outcome decreases for every 2 additional Players (Setting or Count). (i.e. P3, P5, P7 decrease No Drop)

• Increasing PS (Player Settings) increases the chance that a monster drops an item. Since No Drop decreases with every 2 PS, farming monsters on P8 is the same as P7 for drop chances.
    • Monsters No Drop chance is calculated when the monster dies. This means that spawning a monster at P7 and then reducing the PS to P1 would increase their No Drop chance.
      • The same is true if Players leave a Multiplayer game before a Boss (i.e. The Countess) would die.
      • The number of Partied Players near you when a monster dies has a larger impact on No Drop than unpartied members in the same game. P5 settings with unpartied members is equal to 3 Partied Players in the same area.
  • No Drop does not affect the following monster types because they have set drops.
    • Champions always drop 2 Potions and a large sum of Gold or an item.
    • Uniques always drop 4 Potions and an item.
    • Super Uniques always drop 4 Potions and two items.

No Drop Chance on Normal Type Monsters:

• p1/1, p2/1 = 62.5%
  • p2/2, p3/1, p3/2, p4/1 = 38.78 %
  • p3/3, p4/2, p4/3, p5/1, p5/2, p6/1 = 24.05 %
  • p4/4, p5/3, p5/4, p6/2, p6/3, p7/1, p7/2, p8/1 = 14.29 %
  • p5/5, p6/4, p6/5, p7/3, p7/4, p8/2, p8/3 = 9.09 %
  • p6/6, p7/5, p7/6, p8/4, p8/5 = 4.76 %
  • p7/7, p8/6, p8/7 = 3.23 %
  • p8/8 = 1.64%

How to read: p(Players in Game)/(Players in area) = %nodrop

So if you’re alone in Chaos Sanctuary, it makes no difference if you have 6 or 7 other instances idling in town with your farming character in game (p8/1 = p7/1), you still are at 14.29% chance that a normal monster will drop absolutely nothing."

Sources:
https://d2.maxroll.gg/resources/player-settings
https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo2/comments/pxzr87/need_clarification_on_drop_rates_and_player_count/

YouTube shoutout:

11 Likes

Quick question: when you mean in the same area, does it mean anywhere in the same zone or within a certain distance (like exp sharing distance or similar)?

This is a general rule
Council members, the countess and the cow king are the exceptions i can think of

Another general rule
Some monsters with a special TC have not so much different values of no drop

I believe it’s within two screens distance.

Can this statement be explained to me? Are you saying the allied players and players who are not allied has an effect on drop rates?

It means if you are solo farming while 4 others are afk in town (p5/1), the drop rates of what you kill are equal to if you had two people right next to you (p3/3) in the same zone/area and in your party.

How to read: p(Players in Game)/(Players in area) = %nodrop

Thanks Vvin, I got that part. I was just confused with the term “Partied Players”. Players can be sitting in town un-partied and partied (or allied). Does being in a party make any difference if you are just parked in town?

BTW, thank you for sharing this info, it’s very helpful.

There are two ways in D2 to increase the rate at which monsters drop items, or reducing the no drop chance. The most known is by the amount of players in game; every 2 additional players in the game reduces the no drop. This is why you see many in the community refer to players 3, 5, and 7 in Offline single player, especially for LK Super Chests, as those are the players settings which will up the drop rates of normal mobs, chests, and bosses (there is a cap to bosses).

The second is by being in a party with another player, within the same proximity. 8 players in a party in the same zone within proximity to each other will have an overall better drop rates than 8 players that are split farming their own solo zone, as the partied 8 is getting full bonuses to no drop (1.64%) where the split group is getting 14.29% no drop. Compared to the general solo players 1 no drop of 62.5%, there is a distinct advantage to farming solo in full games, which is why you see split farming and people running off in Baal games to do their own thing. This is also another reason that people complain about op classes, or there is friction about whether players x command on bnet should be added, since it promotes playing classes that can quickly kill with the least gear requirements as possible, to take advantage of increased drop rates.

1 Like