What is the best staff for obsession?

First time making sorceress. Tried nova, fire and meteororb. Interested in msking an obsession. What is the best base for it?

There’s only three possible staff bases that can get six sockets: War Staff, Rune Staff, and Archon Staff. They are the Normal/Exceptional/Elite versions of the same base staff. All the other staves get fewer than 6 sockets.

The strength requirements are negligible for all three staves (Archon Staff is the max at 34 str req) so it really doesn’t matter which you use. The level requirement is irrelevant as well, Archon Staff is the highest and requires level 66 but the Obsession runeword requires level 69 (Zod) so that trumps the level requirement on all three possible staff bases.

Just whatever one you find that has the best staff mods and 6 sockets (or no sockets + Larzuk).

Getting one with good staff mods will be the really hard part.

I found a Zod rune a couple days ago (Lo + Zod in the same Tunnels run!!). I’m going to use it to make an Obsession, but I imagine it will take a while to find a worthy base…

4 Likes

Thnx for the reply man. What kind of mods should i be looking for?

Ideally I think you want something with +3 to a skill and +3 to the appropriate mastery.

Cold probably isn’t the best because of the way Cold Mastery works (+7 to Cold Mastery just isn’t as useful as +7 to Fire/Lightning Mastery), so I don’t think it’s the best option or a cold build. Probably best for fire or lightning.

So you’d probably want something like +3 to Lightning/Chain Lightning and +3 to Lightning Mastery or +3 to Fireball/Meteor and +3 to Fire Mastery.

You can get up to three staff mods, so in theory you could have + to Lightning, + to Chain Lightning, and + to Lightning Mastery all on the same staff, but a base like that will probably be very rare.

2 Likes

Thnx for the info. Much appreciated!

You would want this with Light Sorc mainly because you will not use a shield with a 2 hand staff and a light sorc can quite easily get a high ES. It can run on a FB sorc as well but fire sucks in hell. Similarly you can have it on a FO sorc because it has skillpoints to spare, but again, limited use of Cold sorc in hell outside of a few select farm spots.

So you’d be looking for +3 Light mastery +3 Light skill of choice and any + to Energy shield would be preferred …

It’s super rare to find and its an end game item anyway, because you’d want infinity to make a light sorc work, so before you got all of those runes together, going to take a while, probably you’d find the runes several times over before you find the base.

If you find it, it’s going to be worth a load of runes btw.

3 Likes

i made one and use it with my orb/hydra build. i actually like it better than HOTO/Spirit because i finally got to ditch carrying a monarch around, and put those points from str into vit. now i have way more health, more mana, more mana regen. i lost a little bit of FCR but i’m still over the 105% breakpoint so i don’t care.

i put it in a rune staff with +3 to frozen orb. i coudln’t find one for a reasonable price with +3 to multiple skills, so i grabbed the first one i found that fit my build.