Ways Of Playing Diablo II

Hello Diablo Fans

Today I would like to write about a thought that comes up again and again as I play this game, which is that there is such a variety of ways to play this game!

Every time I invest time in this game I always find myself saying “oh my god I’ve never played the game like this”. Yet at the same time it is easy for me to see there are still yet many more ways to play this game that I have not tried.

Below is a list of “ways to play the game”.

Single Player:
-Beat the game
-Beat the game with every character
-Beat the game with fun builds
-Beat the game in record speed, normal and hell
-100% the game
-Grind xp, try to reach 100
-Set personal level gear and build goal
-Holy Grail Hunt
-Hero Editor
-Project Diablo 2 Mod
-Eastern Sun Mod
-Path of Diablo Mod

Multiplayer:
-Beat the game with a party
-Speed run beat the game with a party
-Speed run ubers with a party
-Play with friends irl
-Arrange interesting character combinations
-Level and progress through Public Games
-Ladder Race
-Solo Self Found

Forms of PK
-Low Level Duel
-Mid Level Duel
-High Level Duel
-Competitive and Casual
-Pk Baal bot parties
-Interfere with people trying to level
-initiate a random hostility and fight just for fun and probably lose
-Team Duel

Loot Collection and Trading:
-D2jsp
-Traderie
-Other 3rd party sites
-Trading in game
-Botting
-Real $ transactions

Different Types of Trades:
-Mid Runes
-High Runes
-a couple Jah Runes
-Piles of Jah runes or 20life 5%allres small charms
-Chase loot trades
-eg. shako, vipermagi, arachs even low griffons
-GG Loot trades
-high griffons, perfected items, caster ammys, circlets and diadems, gg gloves, gg rings, high roll superior bases with high roll runewords
-Gems and Rune quantity trades

There may very well never be another game like Diablo II. The game was created in a time when there were way fewer regulations. As a result, the game evolved so many different avenues you can take to explore it. As dark and pungeant as it can be sometimes, the depth Diablo II offers is far more authentic and mysterious than games made more recently.

What other “ways of playing” can you think of outside my list?

Added post message:
-Play the forums!
-Multi Account!
-Beat the game naked
-Beat the game without attacking
-Forge Rushing
-Grushing
-Rushing people for free/fun

3 Likes

Come to the forums and demand a certain local single player feature for online play, then start drama when people don’t agree with them.

Also, playing with multiple accounts for the players advantage.

:grimacing:

2 Likes

Too funny you are bang on!! Two big ones I can’t believe I missed them :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

To be honest, might as well add players x to bnet. It’s already in the game in the form of split farms and joining high player count games to not do what the game lobby was made for. However, I do find it interesting that I just seen in the last couple of days that PD2’s new season will be adding timed allocated loot, the first D2 mod I’ve ever seen to experiment with a personal loot system. It also seems that tcp/ip is making a return, albeit using the 2.4 patch version as the base.

Blizzard does need to do something soon with D2R, else it rot further into the condition that the OG servers.

1 Like

:smiley:

Bolster the AI detection for automation, and put banwaves in the express lane. I’m talking weekly banwaves, not this weaksauce 6months to a year banwave crap. Start cracking down on people exploiting multiple accounts. Something as simple as removing the player drops/XP benefit if a “player” in a game is inactive for more than 5 seconds, and look for any automation that keeps them active.

2 Likes

Not saying I wouldn’t rather them actually improve multiplayer, but if they decide to let the game crash and burn as opposed to something to bring players in again, they might as well just add it. Every time I’ve thought about logging in lately to play some of my non season characters, I end up looking at the single player mods instead. Dbrunski actually came back through the Remodded mod and posted a video to his youtube for the first time in over a year.

1 Like

Ooohh I got one - Play the game for minimal time, and complain on the forums you haven’t found the rarest items yet and ask for high rune drop rate increase.

Real additions though:
Beat the game naked
Beat the game without attacking

1 Like

Nice ones :slight_smile: Always an important challenge.
I also thought of different forms of “rushing” as a way people play.

These boomers against players X online… lol

Players x solo self found only. I think there should be a legitimate “online” ssf so that your file is protected from being corrupted.

Bot baal games are online version’s player x.

I’m not necessarily for it myself, I just think unless they improve multiplayer (never going to happen) and add personal loot and tie loot chance increases to only party play and remove the ridiculous form of anti-party play by full game split farming, might as well just add it and call it a day.

It will be interesting to keep watch on PD2s new season to see how the allocated loot works out for them. I’m not a fan of the timed allocation, and feel it looked confusing to me and not easily readable from the little footage I did see of their beta for it, but it will be interesting to see how their community views it once it’s fully in action. I’d play myself, but a) I can’t get used to the old graphics again (and I am not a graphics snob, still play old games) besides I feel a lot of what PD2 has done with it’s graphics “upgrades” and the loot filters look cheap and silly as hell and b) I think it starts same weekend as new D3 season.