Updated 2.5 patch notes, Sunder charms nerfed

MEH!!

Lightning Sorc:

Already breaks most Light immunities with, adding a Sunder charm gains them a -17% ONLY (Infinity 1/5th). To add, needs to remove one skiller.

This change doesn’t look enticing for Lightning based damage at all!

1 Like

It basically lets you break immunities without an infinity and results in almost the same damage as before once you have an infinity. (One less charm) The question now is it really worth it to get an infinity to kill the old immunes a little more quickly? I guess it will still be pretty nice for non immunes though.

The problem is that cold mastery needs to have the same change.

1 Like

The whole balancing around that charm just seems bad. Now we got a balance for it and it’s still not thought well.

1 Like

Yeah, this feels like another bandaid fix for a bandaid fix. And … untested, right before ladder start. Great.

4 Likes

Agreed. CM should also be penalized.

1 Like

Just remember everyone, cast Blizzard to the immediate left of your target to hit them!

:wink: :+1:

1 Like

because it was applied with 1:5 ratio. now it’s 1:1 with sunder charms

A step in the right direction but this is still a mess

3 Likes

Yep cold sorcerer it is, like everyone else. The cheapest and most powerfull I think (well depending on cold sunder charm value)

Why not just nerf Cold Mastery to 3% or whatever? Keep the flavor of it, but at least make it more “balanced” with these new charms/changes compared with the other elements and characters/builds. It was always weird you only need 17 points (hell, even 1 point with enough +skills) to reach -100% Cold Resist on it. Yes I know more points still helps depending on the monster, but still.

They shouldn’t nerf it across the board. Only when it comes to sundered enemies, like the rest of things.

1 Like

So if I am reading this correctly, Conviction will only be 20% its effective rate once a sundering charm is applied. So, Infinity with Conviction 12 which normally is 85% effective will now only be 17% effective. Take that from the Sundering charms ability to reduce immunities no lower than 95%, it means that a monster will still be immune up to 78%, making seasons not worth playing as we still have to deal with resistances up to the ying yang :frowning: . Am I wrong?

2 Likes

Absolutely true, but if Cold Mastery was nerfed 1/5, it would basically be useless. It would probably need a redesign at this point, which Blizzard seems to get and thus didn’t make the change.

If they wanted to give cold Mastery 5% more cold damage AND -2 resist per level, I think that would be a fair ball. that’s 100% damage at level 20 and -40 (flat) resist. It would address the severe scaling problems Cold Mastery has. I’d be okay with that.

1 Like

If you think having immunities makes a ladder not worth playing then how are you a Diablo 2 player? You wouldn’t have been playing the game at all for 20 years.

5 Likes

I actually agree with conv/LR having the 1/5 penalty vs sundered monsters but cold mastery needs to have the same penalty to sundered monsters. If CM stays at full effectiveness this puts cold sorcs way ahead of every build except hammerdin.

I thought the idea of sunder GCs was to increase build diversity but in reality it isnt doing anything, Blizz Sorc and Hammerdin will still be the best 2 builds by a mile.

Bad change 3 days before ladder with ZERO input from players. FAIL.

1 Like

They need to scrap sunder completely and just fix hammerdin.

10 Likes

That doesn’t fix the bad gameplay of immunities. They’d have to axe the immunity AND synergy system, and basically un-do all of patch 1.10.

holy **** THEY FIXED IT!!!
THEY ACTUALLY FIXED IT!!!
the 1/5th penalty is BACK!!!

ok i guess i will play season 2 after all.

still concerned about cold sorc. but i mean…

IM GOOD WITH THIS!!!

no more negative resist for casters on monster that had immunties. ( well except cold immunes on sorc)
that’s all i wanted.

GOOD JOB BLIZZARD!
( god i don’t say that often, it feels strange)

8 Likes

Needed a redesign long time ago tbh.
But it would definitely not be useless, it would mean having Blizzard deal good damage on immunes.
It can get to -250 if you really want and -200 is very doable, so it would still lower the resistance with 40%, combine it with facets and you still tear through most things that were immune beforehand with Blizzard just no longer everything, sometimes you’ll actually have to cast Blizzard more than once.

I think the big problem they face is that cold mastery is normally not breaking immunity and does not have the 1/5th system, it works like facets.
So they probably know how broken it is with the charm, but if they wish to “fix” it they need to change how it works (without doing it all the time like Conviction does).

i would like to assume that if the monster would have had lower resist from infinity WITHOUT the charm it will still have w/e one is lower

then again… assuming the intelligence of blizzard is a very dangerous thing to do

but the 1/5th penalty only applied when breaking immunities anyways