Update: 2.4 launches April 14th, Ladder launches April 28th

Please can someone answer answer.

What exactly is the database in simple. I am getting confused in what it actually is.

That is the matrix of this d2r

1 Like

Please give us an update on the console first party certification.

I always thought that is what was holding up the launch of 2.4.

I think the D2R team needs to challenge themselves and release the new patch before the end of March.

Ladder can come end of April or some time in May, but we really need the official release of patch 2.4 as soon as possible.

Pez has made some additional Reddit posts since the start of this thread, mostly about reasons regarding lack of communication.

Just sharing them here in case anyone is interested, again thereā€™s no further information or elaboration regarding 2.4/Ladder, heā€™s just talking about the lack of communication.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know exactly how it worked/works, but Iā€™ll give it my best crack:

Think of the ā€œdatabaseā€ as a huge file with all of the characters for everyoneā€™s accounts.

Thereā€™s a primary server that keeps track of this database along with redundant backups of it.

There are also several regional satellite servers that handle the game hosting workloads. The satellite servers need to be able to access that primary server to get the character files when we fire up the game. Then when the game client quits, the satellite server has to upload the changes during the gameplay session back to the primary server. The satellite servers likely keep bits and pieces of the database to minimize traffic, say for example you stay on one region.

Something with how the original games database works didnā€™t mesh well with that setup, which when the previously unknown threshold of maximum created games in a given timeframe was surpassed caused huge data traffic jams, and eventual gridlock, which caused the system to crash.

But, the kicker is that the original games database worked well enough during in-house development and beta testing that they didnā€™t notice the problem, so they obviously assumed it was going to workā€¦ Fast forward up to the point where tons of people started creating 15 second Pindleskin runs, then they discovered the problemā€¦ They couldnā€™t reproduce those workloads without the player base, they needed our help, and they got it.

1 Like

Lmao. They are honestly terrible. Has anything gone according to plan with D2R since release?

9 Likes

Respectfully, it is as easy as people expect, regarding Pezā€™s posts. It took a week for those posts. It takes 5 minutes to translate news to a different language, times that by however many languages it needs to be translated into, provide the news to the world that the update didnā€™t go as planned and 2.4 got pushed back indefinitely, and as a consequence, ladder.

Kind of half expecting them to announce 2.4 and ladder will now be releasing in May.

Forgive my cynicism, itā€™s just hard to make excuses for the continued lack of communication.

10 Likes

He should talk in here, give a one fingered salute to the big wigs ā€œapprovingā€ his messages. Yeah I know thatā€™s not going to happen. Gotta keep the Pez around! :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™m a dev myself and I couldnā€™t imagine having this poor of communication on any type of release, even based on his follow up responses. Itā€™s not very professional for a ā€œglobalā€ company as he says. You donā€™t need to give concrete dates to keep people happy, just give the player base an idea of what is going on. How do you post stuff like this on reddit and not the forums as wellā€¦ You will never make everyone happy so you can at least be honest and transparent. But sorry to hear things didnā€™t go well, hopefully today was a bit better.

18 Likes

Nothing against Reddit, but why not share this news on d2/R blizzard forums. If it wasnt for this post or other posts regarding updates, some of us wouldnt know about themā€¦

11 Likes

Thanks for the update. Just deleted the whole game.
Sad I cant get my money back but whatever, hope you spend this 40 eur in your brain cell fix.
gtfo.

7 Likes

With all the changes made, I would just be patient.

The last thing any of us want is a troubled Season 1 start.

2 Likes

I personally expect huge database problems when ladder hits.
There will be so many players, that they will again be like ā€œoh we did not
expect all of them to come backā€

3 Likes

Donā€™t matter to me, I enjoy D2(R) as is. Of course, I want to play the next patch as much as anyone, but itā€™s not like Iā€™m feeling any sort of way about it not being here yet, Iā€™ll continue to play and enjoy the game we have basically every day. As for ladder, not like Iā€™ll even be able to play it anyway due to the severely limited character slots, so itā€™s also whatever.

3 Likes

Stromng statement :smiley: roflmao go play the 20 years old game with a bit better graphics.

Idk what you even tried to say there :smiley: roflmao but yeah, D2 is probably my all time favorite game! New graphics are great!

4 Likes

i dunno, i think the game dying is worse than a scuffed ladderā€¦ maybe itā€™s just meā€¦ (probably not)

7 Likes

Get used to it. I read awhile ago they may not even have a forum for D4, instead using community forums like Reddit or Discord.

Honestly if you canā€™t answer simply I donā€™t know why you even bothered.

he said 4 months because of https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/tdw7iw/comment/i0ozvf8/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

1 Like